The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:33:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Original Hertz Center cap  (Read 3705 times)
papa scoops

Email
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 04:57:57 PM »

ok steve and 4781, I think you are correct. I know I took something apart that says falcon sprint. thanks. phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 07:48:30 PM »

ok steve and 4781, I think you are correct. I know I took something apart that says falcon sprint. thanks. phred
Cheers
 Chug a Lug

6S273
gt350hr

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »

Thanks Steve for the pictures of an ORIGINAL cap. Repops are VERY different and now easily spotted with help of the "exploded view" of the cap.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 12:22:15 PM »

i agree i have been slowly removing all repo parts on my car and trying to replace them with NOS, restored or rebuilt original stuff i saved.
Here's a picture of the difference between a Scott Drake and an original rear emblem. I redid the original

* scott drake 1 (1).jpg (60.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 668 times.)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:27:29 PM by Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas) » Logged

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:22 PM »

When you look at these parts side by side it's obvious, especially the Rear emblem. I just googled the repo center cap and it does look different in color and appears far less sharper then the original. Also like the gas cap the original has the slight gold tinge to the foil.

Cheers

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 01:41:46 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
Bob Gaines

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 01:49:26 PM »

When you look at these parts side by side it's obvious, especially the Rear emblem. I just googled the repo center cap and it does look different in color and appears far less sharper then the original. Also like the gas cap the original has the slight gold tinge to the foil.

Cheers
FYI many of the new old stock "original" Ford service replacements do not have gold tinge like assemblyline. Assemblyline is a better more descriptive word to use for the purpose of the discussion IMHO.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:32 PM »

Good call Bob, agree that the "original" Service replacements don't have the gold tinge. Do you know why the assembly line parts had the gold tinge? Suppliers foil type?

Cheers

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:29:27 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
Bob Gaines

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »

Good call Bob, agree that the "original" Service replacements don't have the gold tinge. Do you know why the assembly line parts had the gold tinge? Suppliers foil type?

Cheers
Still foil type but just with the off color. It is my guess that the gold ish tinge was a undesirable effect that was changed to get rid of it. It is hard to say if all of the assemblyline cars got the gold ish type to the very end of production or if it evolved during production . At least that is my theory based on the terminology I have seen used in vintage memos regarding other nuance details for items discussed back in the day. Others may think differently. 

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »

Cheers Bob, thanks for the insights. I actually don't mind the slight gold tinge. Those memos would be interesting, have you got copies?

Chug a Lug

6S273
Bob Gaines

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2017, 06:17:04 PM »

Cheers Bob, thanks for the insights. I actually don't mind the slight gold tinge. Those memos would be interesting, have you got copies?

Chug a Lug

I hope you didn't mis interpret the comparison I was making. I have not read anything specific to do with the gas caps . The comparison was for other things that didn't meet expectations and were changed over the 65-70 Shelby years and the terms that were used to describe the situation .  The gold tinge was slight and hardly perceivable by most so it would seem that it was unintended or it would be more pronounced. Also the gold doesn't match anything else on a GT350 the way silver does . Given these details and the fact that the cap was later changed from the way being discussed suggested the theory to me that was a unintended effect.

s2ms

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

I believe the gold tinge is a good way to identify an OE 66 GT350 gas cap but I agree with Bob that it was an unintended effect. I used to think it was intended to be that way but after looking at a lot of original caps I now believe it is more likely a bleed through effect from the surrounding red area. Just my opinion, but still a cool detail!

Dave

Dave
6S1757
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2017, 07:20:53 PM »

I hope you didn't mis interpret the comparison I was making. I have not read anything specific to do with the gas caps . The comparison was for other things that didn't meet expectations and were changed over the 65-70 Shelby years and the terms that were used to describe the situation .  The gold tinge was slight and hardly perceivable by most so it would seem that it was unintended or it would be more pronounced. Also the gold doesn't match anything else on a GT350 the way silver does . Given these details and the fact that the cap was later changed from the way being discussed suggested the theory to me that was a unintended effect.

Yeah cool I figured that it was unintended and often missed by the uninitiated. Interesting little quirk though.
I see what you are saying too Dave. Cheers guys

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 07:22:43 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2017, 08:54:45 PM »

I believe the gold tinge is a good way to identify an OE 66 GT350 gas cap but I agree with Bob that it was an unintended effect. I used to think it was intended to be that way but after looking at a lot of original caps I now believe it is more likely a bleed through effect from the surrounding red area. Just my opinion, but still a cool detail!

Dave
I have my original cap. The upper portion of the chrome is fair but the bottom is very good and I thought the gold tinge was from years of yellowing of the lens. Will have to revisit it

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »

I have my original cap. The upper portion of the chrome is fair but the bottom is very good and I thought the gold tinge was from years of yellowing of the lens. Will have to revisit it

That's why I asked, I was looking at my gas and steering caps and thinking they both had nice gold tinge  :)Now I know why. Both mine are in good shape. The steering wheel plastic no quite so good PeelOut

6S273
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2017, 01:36:58 PM »

You can restore the steering wheel. The plastic used to shrink and crank. I think have at least 3 or possibly 4'old wheels. They were cheap enough that I just used to buy a new one rather than fix the old one

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!