The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:32:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early 1966 gt350 (#6S281) correct valve cover bolts.  (Read 751 times)
gt350hr

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 03:31:36 PM »

Brant ,
       It may simply be the way RWB supplies them now. Certainly not the same finish as originals and certainly not your fault. One of my early non automotive jobs was an inspector in a sheet metal shop where we did plating in house. I cad plated oil pans , rocker arms ( BIG mistake) nuts and bolts etc. Learned about hydrogen embrittlement the hard way.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
427heaven

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 03:41:40 PM »

For those needing both header type bolts, I have a few orphans of both types posted in pictures. 40.00 apiece yes they are original and don't show up too often. These have been in my stash for the past 40 years-

Bob Gaines

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »

Brant ,
       It may simply be the way RWB supplies them now. Certainly not the same finish as originals and certainly not your fault. One of my early non automotive jobs was an inspector in a sheet metal shop where we did plating in house. I cad plated oil pans , rocker arms ( BIG mistake) nuts and bolts etc. Learned about hydrogen embrittlement the hard way.

The short answer is you can soften the look of the zinc by spraying with a product like wire wheel cleaner for a few seconds. It knocks the shine off depending on how long exposed. There is however a learning curve on how long to expose a bolt to get the right look. 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!