The Official SAAC Forum
November 18, 2017, 02:27:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early 1966 gt350 (#6S281) correct valve cover bolts.  (Read 752 times)
karguy

« on: September 04, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »

Still gathering correct bits and pieces for 6S281. The original valve cover bolts are long gone and I would like to make sure I find the correct ones. I seem to remember them being basically smooth on top and having what looks like a round washer like surface on the bottom of the head of the bolts. Questions: does anyone have a good picture or pictures of the valve cover bolts that should be on a early 66?  Does anyone know where I can purchase a complete set of them?
Thank you again! Karl

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »

Still gathering correct bits and pieces for 6S281. The original valve cover bolts are long gone and I would like to make sure I find the correct ones. I seem to remember them being basically smooth on top and having what looks like a round washer like surface on the bottom of the head of the bolts. Questions: does anyone have a good picture or pictures of the valve cover bolts that should be on a early 66?  Does anyone know where I can purchase a complete set of them?
Thank you again! Karl
AMK sells a kit.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 12:40:34 PM »

I think Brant from Virginia Classic sells them too  Chug a Lug

6S273
karguy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 12:58:32 PM »

I took a look at the AMK bolts listed for Shelby.  They look fairly generic as did the flat and split lock washers. Bob, are those correct and original style? 

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 01:21:39 PM »

This might help    Chug a Lug

From close to your Shelby number

RBW with the three arms/bars between the letters

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
karguy

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

Bob, gt350lad and Jeff, thanks very much for the help!
Jeff thanks for the picture, really helps to get a visual.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 02:27:41 PM »

I took a look at the AMK bolts listed for Shelby.  They look fairly generic as did the flat and split lock washers. Bob, are those correct and original style? 
Yes the bolt with the RBW makers mark ,grade 5(3 lines) is typical . The lock washer included with the AMK is not used (like Jeff's picture) on this application although they were included with the over the counter valve cover kits back in the day.

karguy

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »

Guys,  Jeffs picture brought up another question. Are the header bolts in the picture typical for my car? They appear to be smooth head no markings. Are they available? Sources? Thank you again, Karl

Bob Gaines

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:20 PM »

Guys,  Jeffs picture brought up another question. Are the header bolts in the picture typical for my car? They appear to be smooth head no markings. Are they available? Sources? Thank you again, Karl
Yours would be the same as the later 65 IMO. Later 66 got the Rockford style your car was a transition time so maybe both. Others may think differently. I thought Brant at Virginia was selling a early looking style header bolt. But not sure.  

Bob Gaines

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 02:54:36 PM »

Guys,  Jeffs picture brought up another question. Are the header bolts in the picture typical for my car? They appear to be smooth head no markings. Are they available? Sources? Thank you again, Karl
FYI picture shows the Rockford style IMO.

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 04:34:49 PM »

FYI picture shows the Rockford style IMO.

One on the left in the picture is/was a Rockford while the next two (to the right) are the circle with spokes (for lack of a better term) style

There is another counter sunk (no other markings) version also used in 65 Though must report we've found two style often on the same unrestored cars and the pattern IMHO is very blurred based on the findings. Not like reproductions have been available for very long which might explain the findings if they had been

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:37:35 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Dan Case

CSX2310

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »

Two versions I had samples of.

Dan Case (a.k.a. rr64)
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »

"Older" thread with info offered at that time. At least one example of the counter sunk version 

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=8216.30

Jeff Speegle
gt350hr

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »

6S477 has RWB ( silver , cad plated) , flat washers only and , "circle spoke" header bolts. Of particular note is the pan bolts ( also RWB) that use external tooth star lock washers , never a flat washer.
   The finish on the AMK set I got from Brant looks like nickle or stainless.
     Randy

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 01:51:35 PM »

6S477 has RWB ( silver , cad plated) , flat washers only and , "circle spoke" header bolts. Of particular note is the pan bolts ( also RWB) that use external tooth star lock washers , never a flat washer.
   The finish on the AMK set I got from Brant looks like nickle or stainless.
     Randy

Definitely not stainless, but probably clear zinc (talking about the valve cover bolts here).

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!