The Official SAAC Forum
November 21, 2017, 08:30:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 67 GT350 StARTER 4 speed  (Read 358 times)
acman63
SAAC Concours Chairman

Email
« on: August 30, 2017, 12:03:31 PM »

anyone know the correct casting #  off the aluminum nose cone  and also when did Ford go with engraved part numbers on the starters rather than ink stamped?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »

anyone know the correct casting #  off the aluminum nose cone  and also when did Ford go with engraved part numbers on the starters rather than ink stamped?
My best guess is Feb 67 when the change to the metal stamped identification was transitioning. Sorry I don't have the casting number on the nose off hand . I go by the look on the outside. The wide band should not have any ribs. Maybe someone else has that casting info. 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 01:16:18 PM »

My best guess is Feb 67 when the change to the metal stamped identification was transitioning. Sorry I don't have the casting number on the nose off hand . I go by the look on the outside. The wide band should not have any ribs. Maybe someone else has that casting info. 
I have some being made up at my starter guy that I have to check on tomorrow. I will post my findings for casting number if no one else steps up.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »

Discussed a number of times over on the Concours site. It's likely that there was an overlap for a period of time with the change from the inked Autolite and the metal stamped Autolite

Here is a June 67 example so I would guess that it was used on cars possibly into the beginning of 68 production. Have examples of early 68 San Jose built cars with the ink stamped versions.  

Note that what is left of the original stamping is missing after all these years of wear and age. Sticker design and many of the reproduction stamps is not even close to the originals

Again this should not suggest that stamped (in the metal) starters were not used (haven't studied dates from those from original San Jose cars)  just how late the ink stamp was used for identification

Hope this helps   Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:25:56 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!