The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Date Coded Konis and where to get them  (Read 1456 times)
jay993

Email
« on: August 30, 2017, 11:48:58 AM »

Is it worth tracking down date coded Konis and having them restored and installed on #1124. My car is fairly original though the original shocks were replaced with incorrect white ones. Also what would be the correct date(s). All thoughts/suggestions would be great.

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »

Believe the current belief and documentation that by the time your car was built  (6S1124)  they had stopped installing Konis

So your looking for adjustable Gabriel shocks instead. These will be the FoMoCo script blue shocks you see on some cars. Examples may (due to the PhotoBucket issue maybe not) be found using the search feature. If not we can post again

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
6S1640

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »

Is it worth tracking down date coded Konis and having them restored and installed on #1124. My car is fairly original though the original shocks were replaced with incorrect white ones. Also what would be the correct date(s). All thoughts/suggestions would be great.

Hi Jay,

Even if you find an original set with a nice date code for restoration, you may not be happy with the restoration.  The KONI authorized rebuild shops do not use the old upper seal configuration any more, but the more modern sealing.  A restored period corrected KONI will not have that original look.  It will be also a lot of money for an incorrect looking shock.  You might be better off buying a later version, 1970 or so that is NOS, replace the Triangle sticker with the winged decal and call it good.  If you had to pick date code or period configuration, I'd recommend the later.  From what Jeff is saying, this would then be a day 2 modification.

Best of luck

Cory

06H275

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 08:32:40 AM »

Great info guys! I was wondering about this for my 6S1283.
Thanks!

2006 Shelby GT-H #275
2012 Shelby GT-500 Super Snake #23
1966 Shelby GT-350H #1283
2016 Shelby GT-H #151
jay993

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 11:39:41 AM »

After all the info and help from yawl on this board.... I am going for new orange Konis. They aren't right, but they are the best ones for the job and since I drive the heck out of my car..... problem solved. Thanks for all your help

Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

drive it like you stole it or "dad" lent it to you for the evening, you'll never regret it

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 06:27:53 AM »

Just installed a set of "newer style" front Konis and some old rear Konis that I had just lying around here on 6S1732.

Those, along with a set of the new leaf spring that we sell, made a huge difference in the way the car handles and the stance is perfect...should have done it a while back!

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
doublemyv
SAAC Member

5S444 as found in Sept 2010

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »

Hi Guys,
  I had the same dilemma with the stock shock rebuild on 5s444.   Ultimately, my date coded Konis went to Koni America via Craig Conley for a complete rebuild with new style shafts & seals for the front shocks.   They came back with the thin sheet-metal top eyelets that just looked wrong compared to the original eyelets you see when you open the hood.   So, since my original shafts were returned with the rebuilds, I went to my local shock fabricator and had the thin eyelets on the new front shafts cutoff,  did the same to the thick eyelets on the old shafts, and with a shock jig, did a TIG weld pass to hold the thick eyelets to the new shafts, and then went over the TIG weld with a MIG weld to mimic the original weld technique that Koni used when the shocks were originally manufactured.   Yes, it was a lot of work and $.  After the modification, Conley's shop Paradise Wheels prepped all the shocks for paint, added the correct Koni orange, and new decals, and the end result speaks for itself.   I have attached a couple of photos showing the completed work prior to paint.  I can post more photos showing the finished product if anyone is interested.  Mark

* IMG_1181.jpg (47.76 KB, 800x600 - viewed 64 times.)

* IMG_1182.jpg (34.27 KB, 800x600 - viewed 60 times.)
Texas Swede

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 05:33:14 AM »

Mark,
Where did you find the correct bushings for the early Konis?
Also, the correct color for early Konis is red not orange.
Texas Swede

SFM5S000

California Native

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 05:59:29 AM »

Mark,
Where did you find the correct bushings for the early Konis?
Also, the correct color for early Konis is red not orange.
Texas Swede

Bo, Mark said Koni returned the original shafts (that had the original bushings on them) cut off the original thick bushings then tig and mig welded them on the new shafts. Also, I just cleaned the original Konis on CSX2079 and they are that burnt orange color. 2079 has under 4K original miles on the car.

Cheers,
~Earl J

2015 VP NorCal Region SAAC
2013/14 Member at Large Norcal Region SAAC
2012 VP NorCal Region SAAC
Texas Swede

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 06:42:04 AM »

Earl,
Mark's pictures show the front shocks without the bushings which is the reason I asked
about where to get new ones. Probably Craig has a supplier for them as I don't believe
Mark pressed out 50 year old bushings and pressed them back in again.
In my humble opinion the 1326 and 1327 Koni shocks are a darker shade of red than orange.
Texas Swede

acman63
SAAC Concours Chairman

Email
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 07:35:26 AM »

I had a NOS  set of the early shocks and they were not orange like you hget the shocks now,  I almost call it closer to red primer,  or burnt orange,  I had my local paint store paint analyze it and now I can replicate it

doublemyv
SAAC Member

5S444 as found in Sept 2010

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 10:01:01 PM »

Hi Guys,   We did use new bushings in the top shock eyelets.  Craig Conley has a source for these, and once installed in the eyelet, it was near impossible to get the crossbars installed.  Conley's shop machined up a special tool to press the crossbars into the bushings without any damage.  Even with the tool and a press, it was a difficult process that required patience and perseverance.  I will attach some photos of the completed shocks, and in the bright light of the flash, the color looks more orange.  Without the flash, the shocks look more burnt orange to reddish.   Conley's shop took great efforts to mix up the correct color and spray the shocks, get the correct decals, and we ended up with a really great set of shocks for 5s444.   Mark

* IMG_2962.jpg (39.82 KB, 800x600 - viewed 66 times.)

* IMG_2963.jpg (43.53 KB, 800x600 - viewed 73 times.)
Texas Swede

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »

Look great with the correct color.
Texas Swede

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!