The Official SAAC Forum
September 25, 2017, 05:23:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One-off Ferrari Daytona barn find worth nearly $2 million  (Read 1451 times)
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 01:25:55 AM »

You gotta love how they didn't even remove the bird crap off it.  These auction houses really know how to play up the "barn find" thing. God forbid someone clean it, you might lose a couple hundred thousand dollars in hype.

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

stickshift

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:24:04 AM »

You gotta love how they didn't even remove the bird crap off it.  These auction houses really know how to play up the "barn find" thing. God forbid someone clean it, you might lose a couple hundred thousand dollars in hype.

There's a "barn find kit" that comes with various types of crap that you scatter here and there. Comes with three bags, fine dust, medium grit and heavy debris.

I think there is an option for a bag of rust particles, hay, chicken feathers as well?

The barn find thing is like an Easter egg hunt. Many are foolish enough to fall for all of this BS. The US is dealing with a National IQ average of around 100. Some states are worse than others are. No surprises there?

Gomer Pyle and Forest Gump rule here. If you are smarter than them then you are just referred to as a Liberal? Vocabulary being very limited as it were. Wink

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:16:23 PM by stickshift » Logged
QuickSilverShelby

I wanna go where the beer flows like wine.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:26 AM »

Shocked

QSS

1968 GT500 Convertible Auto
2007 GT-H 5spd
Bob Gaines

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 09:31:47 AM »

There's a "barn find kit" that comes with various types of crap that you scatter here and there. Comes with three bags of fine dust, medium grit and heavy debris.

I think there is an option for a bag of rust particles as well?

The barn find thing is like an Easter egg hunt. Many are foolish enough to fall for all of this BS. The US is dealing with a National IQ average of around 100. Some states are worse than others are. No surprises there?

Gomer Pyle and Forest Gump rule here. If you are smarter than them then you are just referred to as a Liberal? Wink
I wonder how many barn finds are actually staged given the current hyping. I can remember a mecum auction in the last few years where next to the dusty barn find Charger (I think) was a picture depicting the barn it was found in. The rutted trail under the hay litter(that they had attempted to cover up ) could still be made out where the heavy bales were dragged to be staged . The hay bales were of a more modern size and shape then the era they were depicting in the picture. There were other "tells".  It was funny but at the same time very fraudulent.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
stickshift

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »

I wonder how many barn finds are actually staged given the current hyping. I can remember a mecum auction in the last few years where next to the dusty barn find Charger (I think) was a picture depicting the barn it was found in. The rutted trail under the hay litter(that they had attempted to cover up ) could still be made out where the heavy bales were dragged to be staged . The hay bales were of a more modern size and shape then the era they were depicting in the picture. There were other "tells".  It was funny but at the same time very fraudulent.

My impression is that many if not most are staged? There really aren't many million dollars cars stashed in barns by unknowing owners not knowing what they are?

You don't get one of those cars casually. Some people just believe in unicorns I suppose? The "Barn Find" thing just feeds into that? After all, it's secret. No one knows about it. You can find gas for $.50 a gallon on this thing called the 'Internet', oh, but you need electricity! That's very important.  Wink

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:54:17 AM by stickshift » Logged
richstang

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

While I might keep a "Barn Find" in its as found condition for a short period of time, I would feel compelled to clean and polish.
I'd rather enjoy a nice looking survivor than a pile of turd. They weren't built that way, so why keep them that way?

SAAC Member

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2017, 12:49:01 PM »

Barn Finds are the current fad.

Remember Billet everything 15-20 years ago? Thankfully that passed too.  Roll Eyes

tesgt350

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 01:32:19 PM »

I wonder how many barn finds are actually staged given the current hyping. I can remember a mecum auction in the last few years where next to the dusty barn find Charger (I think) was a picture depicting the barn it was found in. The rutted trail under the hay litter(that they had attempted to cover up ) could still be made out where the heavy bales were dragged to be staged . The hay bales were of a more modern size and shape then the era they were depicting in the picture. There were other "tells".  It was funny but at the same time very fraudulent.
The ones that I laugh at are the Articles that call it a "Barn Find" because it was in a Garage or Shop sitting for 5, 10, 15 Years. 

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!