The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:23:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: T 10 shifter rods  (Read 750 times)
jk66gt350

« on: August 26, 2017, 06:01:40 AM »

6S1575 appears to have it's original T10 but the original owner replaced the original shifter with a Hurst shifter, which is still in it today.  Some time ago I picked up what I believe is the correct OEM shifter in case I ever wanted to put it back to stock.  What I don't know is whether the shifter rods had to be changed when the Hurst was installed and therefore whether the shifter rods I have now attaching to the Hurst shifter would work with the original shifter if I put it back in.  Has anyone had any experience switching from an original shifter to Hurst or the reverse?  If I do need new shifter rods, any suggestions on where I could source them?  John

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 09:55:49 AM »

6S1575 appears to have it's original T10 but the original owner replaced the original shifter with a Hurst shifter, which is still in it today.  Some time ago I picked up what I believe is the correct OEM shifter in case I ever wanted to put it back to stock.  What I don't know is whether the shifter rods had to be changed when the Hurst was installed and therefore whether the shifter rods I have now attaching to the Hurst shifter would work with the original shifter if I put it back in.  Has anyone had any experience switching from an original shifter to Hurst or the reverse?  If I do need new shifter rods, any suggestions on where I could source them?  John
Hurst shift rods are typically unique to Hurst.You will have to get the Ford shift rods and lever/arms for a T 10 because the assemblies are different even to a Ford top loader also. A good place to start looking is to put a wanted ad here on this forum . Bill Healy is another source but someone else will have to post the contact info.  

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

As Bob suggests, call Bill Heeley at 301-774-6710 (Maryland).

He may be able to help you with the proper linkage. He can also rebuild your stock shifter if needed.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
jk66gt350

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 10:21:28 AM »

Thanks Bob and Brant - will call Bill this week.  John

po'boy427

6S554 Hertz, confirmed 4spd w/orig alum T-10, MICO

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:10:35 PM »

The Ford T-10 uses rods that slide at the shifter end. Hurst used threaded ends. Not sure if they will interchange but certainly they will not look correct. Also tabs have different numbers too I believe.

Ray

Don't anyone tell my wife I had my spotless shifter displayed on her DR table for pics Please I beg of you guys Hysterical

* hurst t10 rod.jpg (21.04 KB, 800x800 - viewed 27 times.)

* Ford T-10 mustang.jpg (70.08 KB, 640x480 - viewed 77 times.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:18:53 PM by po'boy427 » Logged

-6S554 family owed since May '74
-SPF#373 Cobra SC, Shelby Alum FE T-Port 488 ci
Bob Gaines

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 02:10:22 PM »

The Ford T-10 uses rods that slide at the shifter end. Hurst used threaded ends. Not sure if they will interchange but certainly they will not look correct. Also tabs have different numbers too I believe.

Ray

Don't anyone tell my wife I had my spotless shifter displayed on her DR table for pics Please I beg of you guys Hysterical

I thought would I mention although the assembly looks brand new, Chug a Lug the shifter linkage was typically not plated or shiny silver when new installed at Ford.  It looked more like fresh processed bare steel or light P/O. I am not sure how the Hurst linkage comes now but they used to come the same fresh processed bare steel in the kits for comparison. I think the same can be said for the trans shift levers on both. Just in case it makes a difference to someone trying to put it back original.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
po'boy427

6S554 Hertz, confirmed 4spd w/orig alum T-10, MICO

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 04:09:48 PM »

Point well taken Bob

I sent the rods out for silver cad and they came back silver zinc coated. I'm going to try to live with it.
I think I'm well on the way to accepting it. Hysterical

Ray

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 04:11:30 PM by po'boy427 » Logged

-6S554 family owed since May '74
-SPF#373 Cobra SC, Shelby Alum FE T-Port 488 ci
jay993

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 09:51:11 PM »

+1 for Bill Heeley, he helped me straighten out all of my cars

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!