The Official SAAC Forum
November 24, 2017, 07:39:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 68 GT350 - Saratoga Auto Auction  (Read 2912 times)
kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 06:59:26 AM »

No problem Rodster!

I absolutely need to take some pictures, hopefully this weekend. Unfortunately this is my busiest time of year with my business and I haven't had time to enjoy the car much since getting it home. Still waiting for my 1968 authenticated license tag to come back from Tallahassee so it will be all legal.

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and after seeing Chris's drone video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I I absolutely want to do that with my car. But that will take time to set up. Fortunately I have a friend with a drone and video editing skills so I really hope to make it happen.

I will also post the whole story of how this came about sometime soon. Let's just say it wasn't as easy as make offer, buy car, end of story.

Rodster-500

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:22 AM »

No problem Rodster!

I absolutely need to take some pictures, hopefully this weekend. Unfortunately this is my busiest time of year with my business and I haven't had time to enjoy the car much since getting it home. Still waiting for my 1968 authenticated license tag to come back from Tallahassee so it will be all legal.

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and after seeing Chris's drone video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF9UUgPsa8I I absolutely want to do that with my car. But that will take time to set up. Fortunately I have a friend with a drone and video editing skills so I really hope to make it happen.

I will also post the whole story of how this came about sometime soon. Let's just say it wasn't as easy as make offer, buy car, end of story.

Sounds interesting.  I look forward to the story and some pictures of the car.  I remember the car from the 80's so it will bring back memories!  Wink

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
stangman39

Email
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2017, 06:34:48 AM »

That drone video is great!
I wonder how that was taken.  Very cool!

67 GT350 #2647
kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »

Here is the forum post with the whole story: http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=41790.0

He piloted the drone as he was driving the car!

kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2017, 08:31:28 AM »

I have a few minutes this morning before I head out for the day so let me share some of the story in finding this car.

First of all, in case there are any questions about my plans for the car, I have no intention of returning the car to it's Lime Gold 250HP level of mediocrity (no offense to GT350 Lime Gold fans). After getting to know John and the history of the car, it's role in the Shelby story is unique and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I have all of the trophies and plaques that the car earned over the years and I'm really excited to be it's caretaker for the next several years.

Coincidentally, I began restoring a 1969 Mach 1 about 35 years ago. The plan was to paint it Jade Green Metallic, a color that I fell in love with when I first saw it in the 70's. I bought the motor and tranny out of a wrecked 1971 Boss 351 and built it to put in the car. Long story short, the car rusted beyond the point where it was worth restoring and the motor was stolen about 6 months after I moved to Florida, so that car never materialized. But finding this 68 Shelby in Jade Green Metallic with a Boss 351 topped with Weber carbs was like having my old dream car on steroids! I really wanted the car from the moment I saw this posting on the forum. Through another SAAC member I was able to contact a guy in the Albany, NY area and he gave John my number. It took John a couple weeks to call me back but we finally spoke. However, the car was under contract for the auction. (By the way, the auction people never got back to me after several attempts to contact them).

I had to wait and see if the car would sell at the auction. With the known reserve and buyers premium it was a bit more than I was willing to pay.

Then there was a major screw up with the auction. I was watching online - the Saratoga Auction feed and Proxibid. On Proxibid the car before John's was a black Cobra, but on stage they rolled out John's GT350. An online bidder bid $120K and John agreed to sell the car. 45 minutes later the auctioneer came up to him and said that the $120K bid was for the Cobra, not his car, so they brought his car back up on stage later on. Of course when they did this no one online knew that the GT350 was back on the block. Bidding went to $80K and there was no sale. Needless to say John was pissed! He thought he sold it for $120K but ended up taking it home.

I called him back a couple days later and the auction company had him under contract for another week. Ultimately they never found a buyer so the car was available. John sent down a binder with photos and history on the car to make sure it was what I wanted before travelling 1300 miles to get it. I made arrangements to fly up to NY and meet a friend of mine who was driving up with an enclosed trailer. We met with John, did the deal and loaded up the car and literally a hundred trophies and plaques the car earned over the years.

The ride back was another adventure. We only made it two hours down the road when both right side trailer tires blew out. In the dark. On the interstate. We had two spares mounted on hubs on the back trailer door. However, they had locking lug nuts and my buddy couldn't find the key! So we ended up changing both wheels and hubs with the light from my cell phone (we didn't have a flashlight or rags either). We spent the night in Oneonta, NY got up the next day and went to Walmart to get more spare tires. We destroyed one rim so we also had to go to Tractor Supply to get a new one of those.

The automotive manager at Wally World asked what kind of car we were hauling back to Florida. I told him that he would just have to come out and see for himself. That was my first opportunity to show the car off. Bear in mind, this trailer looked like something Sanford and Son would be hauling around (John's exact comment when he saw it pull up at his place). Every panel on it was either dented, scraped or had holes poked in it. It's had about 100K miles of hard use in it's 15 year life. When the auto manager peeked in and I lifted the cover off the car, his expression was priceless! Then I popped the hood and his jaw dropped! He sure didn't expect to see something that pretty in that beat up old trailer. After getting two more spares mounted we headed down the road again.

I forgot how miserably bumpy the roads up north are. We actually broke one of the four straps holding the car down at one point, but the car never moved thankfully. We only made it back as far as Rock Hill, SC on day two when we decided to spend the night before heading out on the final leg of the journey. We stopped at a hotel around 12:15am. The front desk clerk had no idea what he was doing or how to use the computer. He said he had a room but after tapping on the computer for 20 minutes we were still sitting in the lobby. Finally he just brought us up to the room and let us in. Nice, big suite with one King bed. I looked at my buddy, he looked at me and we looked at the young desk clerk and said that wasn't going to work. After a few phone calls and another 30 minutes he finally gave up and said that was the only room he could rent us. However, he did call ahead to another hotel at the next exit to make sure they had a room with two beds, so we headed back down the road. Got off on the next exit and there wasn't a hotel, gas station or convenience store in sight so we turned around and got back on the interstate. I really hope this fella finds a different line of work because he's not cutting it in the hotel industry!

We went another couple of exits and found another hotel. While I was checking in, my buddy was outside trying to find a place to park the truck and trailer. Unfortunately, he drove down a dead-end, L shaped parking lot outside the hotel. I came out of the hotel to the sound of his wound up Cummins diesel backing the trailer up on a berm with all four trailer tires just about off the ground so he could get turned around. I suppose the other guests weren't too happy with me screaming his name in the parking lot at 1:30 in the morning but all I could imagine was the car inside getting wrecked as he was plowing up the ground with the back of the trailer. Multiple episodes like this are why that trailer looks like it was in a demo derby. Fortunately though everything inside was okay.

On the third day we had our third and final blowout in Jacksonville on the left side of the trailer but we changed the tire in record time and made it home by 7:30 that evening. It took me over a week to de-stress, but in the end it was all worth it. Now the car is ready for some fun in the Florida sun!!

stangman39

Email
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2017, 06:44:43 AM »

Great story!  Thanks for sharing.
To many of us I think the adventure and pick up is as fun as the ownership!

67 GT350 #2647
Rodster-500

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2017, 08:39:32 AM »

Great story!  Thanks for sharing.
To many of us I think the adventure and pick up is as fun as the ownership!

+1

Bet you never thought you would make it home!

I wonder how many deals are actually smooth without any hitches?? 

kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »

I knew that I would make it home but I was extremely concerned that the car wouldn't make it home in one (unmolested) piece. My first family vacation to Florida from Central NY in the 70's was a three day marathon. I swore that I would NEVER take three days to do that trip again - I would rather drive straight through. And I did, many times. Until this trip.

On a related note, does anyone out there need a classic car moved? My buddy Rex has a 1 ton Dodge dually and what's left of a 24' enclosed trailer. It may not make it in one piece and it will probably take a few years off your life but I guarantee it will be an adventure!!  Head knock  Hysterical

R Code

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2017, 03:47:20 PM »

Last time i saw this car  i was riding shotgun in a boss 9 up   87 ny  at about 125 mph . it is fast 

Love the stories, patiently waiting for a picture or two.  If I'm recalling the right car, then my memory jives with Phil's above.  I think we used to see it (drool on it) at some of the rod runs, car shows etc. in the late 80's: R.A.V.E., Lk George, etc.  If I'm not mistaken the owner often had a sign in the window: "Do not judge".

- Chris
kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2017, 05:44:01 PM »

I promise new pics on Saturday. Have to work cows in the morning and then put the tag on the car and take some photos. Oh yeah, and take it out to stretch it's legs too! First chance to actually drive it down the road all legal and such.

Rodster-500

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 06:47:32 PM »

Love the stories, patiently waiting for a picture or two.  If I'm recalling the right car, then my memory jives with Phil's above.  I think we used to see it (drool on it) at some of the rod runs, car shows etc. in the late 80's: R.A.V.E., Lk George, etc.  If I'm not mistaken the owner often had a sign in the window: "Do not judge".

If it was green, had Webers and was at Lake George, that's the car.  Wink   There has to be some vintage pictures out there since that show was pretty well attended.  I checked but don't have any.

kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2017, 05:17:18 AM »

There are photos on the Proxibid site still: https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/1968-Ford-Shelby-GT-350/38290661/LotDetail.asp?lid=38290661

They were the same ones used on the Saratoga Auction site that have since been taken down.

New pics later today...

kjspeed
SAAC Member

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2017, 02:06:07 PM »

Here are a few pictures I took today before the maiden voyage. I think I'm gonna call it Barnesy after it's creator. I'll try to get a simple video so you can at least hear it. It's music to my ears! I've found it likes plenty of throttle application versus a light foot. The Webers seem a bit cantankerous at anything less than half throttle, but mash the go pedal and they stop complaining and begin sucking large quantities of air and 110 octane. The resulting symphony is attention-getting to say the least.  Party on

* IMG_0737.jpg (115.94 KB, 800x600 - viewed 44 times.)

* IMG_0738.jpg (105.63 KB, 800x600 - viewed 36 times.)

* IMG_0735.jpg (92.71 KB, 800x600 - viewed 37 times.)

* IMG_0733.jpg (105.37 KB, 800x600 - viewed 44 times.)
CSX4781

Email
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »

Kevin,
   Glad you were able to make the deal and secure the car. Sounds like it has found another long term home... Smiley

Dave

stangman39

Email
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »

Looks great! 

67 GT350 #2647
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!