The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 07:10:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the asbestos?  (Read 2548 times)
Rodster-500

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:08 PM »

As an aside, we now know how dangerous asbestos is but there was a day it was considered a 'miracle material'. 

If you are at all interested in history, here are some links about how asbestos made one man very wealthy, how Ambler PA, a small town outside of Philadelphia went from boom to bust and many uses of asbestos back in the day.

Yes, that white mountain behind the playground is waste asbestos.

https://www.chemheritage.org/distillations/magazine/living-in-the-town-asbestos-built

http://www.timesherald.com/article/JR/20150430/NEWS/150439989

* white mountain.jpg (33.2 KB, 378x256 - viewed 61 times.)

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
preaction
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2017, 10:08:01 AM »

I have worked in and around Ambler and never knew about this. If I think about Ambler today the Keswick theater comes to mind.

stickshift

« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:27 PM »

The Australian legislature is demonstrating incredible over reach, misunderstanding and incompetence.

You won't find me disagreeing with the inherent danger of asbestos but the banning of "antique" vehicles is not going to save anyone in Australia and I don't think they need to be saved from anything either except possibly politicians that at least should be sterilized so they are just limited to spreading political misery rather then burdening society further with their dysfunctional offspring?

This really is a good example where people need to stay involved with their representatives and make them answerable for their actions.

There are a lot of things that I personally find repulsive about the "French Revolution" but the concept of making politicians answerable for their incompetence by sending them to the guillotine is one that I feel should be re-examined for possible current use.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:31:58 PM by stickshift » Logged
GT350AUS

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:44 PM »

The Australian legislature is demonstrating incredible over reach, misunderstanding and incompetence.

You won't find me disagreeing with the inherent danger of asbestos but the banning of "antique" vehicles is not going to save anyone in Australia and I don't think they need to be saved from anything either except possibly politicians that at least should be sterilized so they are just limited to spreading political misery rather then burdening society further with their dysfunctional offspring?

This really is a good example where people need to stay involved with their representatives and make them answerable for their actions.

There are a lot of things that I personally find repulsive about the "French Revolution" but the concept of making politicians answerable for their incompetence by sending them to the guillotine is one that I feel should be re-examined for possible current use.

+1

No argument from me being a Resident of Australia. You've hit the nail on the head. The politicians here have no idea of the real impact of the importation of classic cars let alone anything else that goes on in this country. We put up with these turkey's running their mouths off regularly simply to justify their position.

Our motoring groups need to tackle this issue head on. I'm pretty sure clubs around Australia are aware of this and hopefully they can band together to set the Bureaucrats straight.

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 12:49:37 AM »

+1

No argument from me being a Resident of Australia. You've hit the nail on the head. The politicians here have no idea of the real impact of the importation of classic cars let alone anything else that goes on in this country. We put up with these turkey's running their mouths off regularly simply to justify their position.

Our motoring groups need to tackle this issue head on. I'm pretty sure clubs around Australia are aware of this and hopefully they can band together to set the Bureaucrats straight.

I agree totally. We have to come together to tackle this issue. Once again there is more then likely no decent evidence to justify all the changes. Like all the seat belt changes and compliance laws for old cars we had changed here when it suited the politician who bought an old car. Crazy times.

6S273
radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »

+1

So. my wife and I are planning relocation to Sydney next year. At the risk of their being mutilated on arrival, should I scrap my plans to bring the Mustang and Shelby with me...?

acman63
SAAC Concours Chairman

Email
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 11:13:33 AM »

A friend of mine worked in an asbestos factory for 4 years when he was in school.  he told me they didnt wear masks or any real protective gear.  He passed away last year at 85.  Fell off a roof fixing the shingles .   He always thought the asbestos thing was a concoction by the ambulance chasers

6S2020

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »

So. my wife and I are planning relocation to Sydney next year. At the risk of their being mutilated on arrival, should I scrap my plans to bring the Mustang and Shelby with me...?

The pain that you will suffer from "Border Protection" is nothing compared to what you will feel if you follow the NSW State of Origin rugby league team.  Grin

Up the mighty Maroons, and Welcome to OZ.  Lager

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Better to be a Racer for a minute than a spectator for a life time.
gt350hr

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

People are different. Some NEVER have a cavity in their teeth and others have their teeth fall out at an early age. Many people get Cancer some NEVER do despite living or working in the same area. Some people lose hair and others never do.  Asbestos has been around for a long time and was once deemed a "miracle material". If it is a "killer" now it was then too. Why then did it become SO popular Huh?    MONEY. The same as the motivation to ban it now. Asbestos is not going to kill the WORLD'S population. Death from asbestos has to be well behind MURDER, traffic accidents, drowning, Diabetes , etc. I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind but OVER reaction is not going to save the world.
    Let's just cripple transportation by abolishing motor vehicles of ANY kind so we won't be polluted or killed by asbestos. No more planes , trains , automobiles, ships , etc. Back to animal power and ships with sails or oars. Yea that will work.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »

Bring them along and welcome! Only problem is you will be living in the wrong state! Go the Maroons! Queenslander!!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 04:31:13 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
stickshift

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 05:15:57 AM »

People are different. Some NEVER have a cavity in their teeth and others have their teeth fall out at an early age. Many people get Cancer some NEVER do despite living or working in the same area. Some people lose hair and others never do.  Asbestos has been around for a long time and was once deemed a "miracle material". If it is a "killer" now it was then too. Why then did it become SO popular Huh?    MONEY. The same as the motivation to ban it now. Asbestos is not going to kill the WORLD'S population. Death from asbestos has to be well behind MURDER, traffic accidents, drowning, Diabetes , etc. I'm not suggesting throwing caution to the wind but OVER reaction is not going to save the world.
    Let's just cripple transportation by abolishing motor vehicles of ANY kind so we won't be polluted or killed by asbestos. No more planes , trains , automobiles, ships , etc. Back to animal power and ships with sails or oars. Yea that will work.

There are plenty of people that are sick.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/thousands-suffer-9-11-illnesses-14-years-article-1.2356281

The main toxin was the asbestos from the fire insulation on the steel structure. The dust was everywhere.

The answer is probably "critical mass". What varies is the variation on individuals to resist.

Asbestos certainly isn't plutonium but the safest thing to do is treat it like any other carcinogen where the medical consideration is that there is no safe exposure to one.

Now if the opinion is that "life is cheap", which in the past has been the underlying theme then screw anyone that gets sick from the stuff. They are just like a broken washing machine, throw it away and get a new one?

I had an uncle that got sick and died from it also. He worked for Bendix brakes in what they called the "baking room". That is where the company cured the brake lining materials. He was a $12 an hour guy. Completely disposable. Who cares, right?

We all "pay our moneys and takes our chances", but in the end something else kills everyone of us anyway. Some just sooner then later? Personally I have to hide the guns from my wife. Sometimes the bullet kills you before the disease does?

Still Australia is far over reaching as I might point out is the UK with eliminating all internal combustion engines by 2040. I suppose though as long as you can recall the sound of the bullet whisking past your ears you did ok, as long as you weren't exposed to agent orange?

With the bullet from a distance, you don't hear the pop. If you hear the "phist...phist" get down, someone is shooting at you. We thought it was just the napalm you needed to look out for. Dow chemical said the "agent orange" was safe? They made both. They did alright in "nam". Dow got very rich from Viet Nam. Most GI's didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agent_Orange

The most visionary thing I ever heard was President Eisenhower in his departure speech say "beware the military industrial complex". The man could not have been more correct. Corporate still has absolutely no loyalty to anything but profits to the stockholders. They could care less that the product is toxic.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 05:36:50 AM by stickshift » Logged
radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 07:27:55 AM »

Oy, all you True Bluers!

Can any of you maybe point me to a list of components that are subject to possible testing for asbestos? Or is it like looking for contraband - Customs tears the whole damned car apart and if nothing turns up, it's just "sorry about that, mate - you're good to go now"...?

stickshift

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »

The ironic thing about asbestos is that unless it is marked "asbestos" you can't identify it unless you put it under a microscope.

We have "tons" of products here made before the '80s that contain asbestos. Technically they can not be put in the "trash" but the "garbage man" just shrugs his shoulders and throws it in the truck.

The EPA would prefer it not to be removed from where it is located. Things like floor tiles, some siding, some roofing tiles that are asbestos should be left in place and basically entombed.

The reality is that when something that is made into a "hard substance" and emits no air bound particles, it is not a health hazard.

The asbestos fiber under the microscope looks like a fish hook. If you breath it, it will attach itself to the tissue. The lungs are particularly susceptible but the stomach and esophagus have some degree of exposure as well.

The other "slight technically" not being discussed is that there are different types of asbestos depending on where they are mined. The North American version is not the bad one. The African variety is the bad one.

So really the type of legislation passed in Australia shows the lack of knowledge the legislature actually has on the subject and possibly just the one side of the lobbyists getting to too many legislators without the other side being heard?

The potential number of "classic cars" that will be imported and will actually effect the enviornment in ANY discernible way is almost not even measurable.

Confucius say: "never set a cannon to kill a mosquito". Boom. Guess what?

6S2020

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 04:35:23 PM »

Read this, what a joke.. HeadSpin

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=FOC_201707_SS2

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Better to be a Racer for a minute than a spectator for a life time.
TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »

[quoteRead this, what a joke.. HeadSpin

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=FOC_201707_SS2
][/quote]

You can't fix stupid Frustration

TOB

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!