The Official SAAC Forum
September 23, 2017, 05:49:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where's the asbestos?  (Read 2239 times)
preaction
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »

Few remember  but this is what Steve Mcqueen died from. (Mesothelioma)

papa scoops

Email
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

BULLITT didn't need no stinking brakes! phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »

And how many vintage Mustangs still have their original brake pads?

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »

BULLITT didn't need no stinking brakes! phred

I think he touched the pedal twice total!  PeelOut

6S273
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 10:21:03 PM »

Speaking of Asbestos and gaskets, any ideas who made the gaskets for between the original Tri-ys and H-pipe on the 66? Attached is a pic of one of my gaskets which I think maybe original? It has some markings on it

Cheers

* IMG_0925.jpg (27.01 KB, 320x240 - viewed 26 times.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 11:49:35 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
stickshift

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 06:16:24 AM »

I think he touched the pedal twice total!  PeelOut

Pure metallic touch linings. Asbestos is not the way to go on a performance brake lining. Never was. Those are for Grandma so she doesn't break her heels when she stomps on those marshmallows.

radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 06:24:02 AM »

To try to enlighten myself and wrap my head around this Australian CF, I visited the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection site. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I speak mostly from personal experience, having been to Australia many, many times and being married to an Australian citizen. That said...

The single most distressing snippet from this web site is, IMHO, this:

"What if asbestos is detected?

If asbestos is detected in goods being imported, the goods are seized as a prohibited import, and will be forfeited to the Crown for disposal. Re-export is not permitted."

I had to read it three times to fully absorb the fact that (1) your vehicle will be seized if ANY asbestos is detected in it, (2) the "Crown" will take the vehicle by forfeiture for DISPOSAL, and (3) you won't be allowed to send the vehicle back to where it came from. Insane.

[begin personal opinion]

This is just another example of what I believe is a major societal flaw in general in Australia - EVERYTHING is either black or white. There's no grey. There is no room for discretion. Common sense is pretty much non existent.

What would be the common sense way to address this as regards the import of so-called "vintage cars"? First, how about publishing a comprehensive list of specific items that are subject to inspection for the presence of asbestos? Second, require the importer of said vintage car to replace said items with products that are purchased in Australia and therefore free of asbestos. Third, require the importer of said vehicle to provide written certification that the items in question have been replaced within an acceptably-short period of time (30 days?). Finally, failure to comply would require return to its origin. But I guess that makes a little too much sense...

And finally, a true story. My wife and I were flying back to Sydney a few years ago. On a 747. Seated in the upstairs biz class section. A big-ass plane weighing thousands of tons. Before takeoff, I asked the flight attendant if I could change my seat across the aisle if the seat wasn't occupied when the doors were shut, so that I could sit beside my wife. Across the aisle. All of 3 feet. The flight attendant's response? "Please wait until we are in the air. We need to keep the weight balanced for takeoff." No lie - you can't make this (word is not allowed)e up...

[end of rant]

SAAC Member

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »

When the media whips every news event into hysteria, and the masses start demanding to have all their needs taken care of and to be protected from everything.

This is what you get.

6S2020

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 11:29:34 AM »

To try to enlighten myself and wrap my head around this Australian CF, I visited the Australian Government's Department of Immigration and Border Protection site. Let me preface my remarks by saying that I speak mostly from personal experience, having been to Australia many, many times and being married to an Australian citizen. That said...

The single most distressing snippet from this web site is, IMHO, this:

"What if asbestos is detected?

If asbestos is detected in goods being imported, the goods are seized as a prohibited import, and will be forfeited to the Crown for disposal. Re-export is not permitted."

I had to read it three times to fully absorb the fact that (1) your vehicle will be seized if ANY asbestos is detected in it, (2) the "Crown" will take the vehicle by forfeiture for DISPOSAL, and (3) you won't be allowed to send the vehicle back to where it came from. Insane.

[begin personal opinion]

This is just another example of what I believe is a major societal flaw in general in Australia - EVERYTHING is either black or white. There's no grey. There is no room for discretion. Common sense is pretty much non existent.

What would be the common sense way to address this as regards the import of so-called "vintage cars"? First, how about publishing a comprehensive list of specific items that are subject to inspection for the presence of asbestos? Second, require the importer of said vintage car to replace said items with products that are purchased in Australia and therefore free of asbestos. Third, require the importer of said vehicle to provide written certification that the items in question have been replaced within an acceptably-short period of time (30 days?). Finally, failure to comply would require return to its origin. But I guess that makes a little too much sense...

And finally, a true story. My wife and I were flying back to Sydney a few years ago. On a 747. Seated in the upstairs biz class section. A big-ass plane weighing thousands of tons. Before takeoff, I asked the flight attendant if I could change my seat across the aisle if the seat wasn't occupied when the doors were shut, so that I could sit beside my wife. Across the aisle. All of 3 feet. The flight attendant's response? "Please wait until we are in the air. We need to keep the weight balanced for takeoff." No lie - you can't make this (word is not allowed)e up...

[end of rant]

When the media whips every news event into hysteria, and the masses start demanding to have all their needs taken care of and to be protected from everything.

This is what you get.

I think Government Wankers are the same all around the World mate.

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Better to be a Racer for a minute than a spectator for a life time.
Bob Gaines

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 11:44:35 AM »

I hate to see that kind of short sighted overreach for my friends down under. It could have a devastating effect on vintage car enthusiasts.  I can only hope it is not as severe in implementation as it potentially reads to be.   You guys down under let us know what happens. Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
SAAC Member

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 01:12:21 PM »

I think Government Wankers are the same all around the World mate.

Yup.    Angry

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 03:30:40 PM »

I hate to see that kind of short sighted overreach for my friends down under. It could have a devastating effect on vintage car enthusiasts.  I can only hope it is not as severe in implementation as it potentially reads to be.   You guys down under let us know what happens. Chug a Lug

Thanks Jeff, watch this space

6S273
papa scoops

Email
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 03:33:32 PM »

I'm going to leak this to Trump, and then the Aussies can't come here! we'll build a wall!! phred

phred 6s1122 68#3168
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »

I'm going to leak this to Trump, and then the Aussies can't come here! we'll build a wall!! phred

I better cancel my trip or bring climbing gear!  Chug a Lug

6S273
6S1139
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »

I believe that is exactly where we are heading (and some importers already providing a certification for this reason).

My car arrived in early July and had no issues inspection wise (nor did the 2 others in the shared container), there are a couple of horror examples on the forums (http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/article.php?reqart=FOC_201707_SS2) but not really sure how wide spread the issue is (certainly some have been caught, I did hear that no low volume/personal imports had been pinged but I cannot be sure). There is also another story going around of someone bringing in a glass cobra replica and having a few "core samples" taken of the body - no idea of its true or not

Still the biggest issue I think we have is our friggin taxes - Luxury car tax is the big one, anything over $US51k we get hit with a 33% tax (and then another 10% GST on that) !!!!

cheers

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!