The Official SAAC Forum
September 23, 2017, 03:56:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why SAAC is the gold standard  (Read 2333 times)
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« on: July 20, 2017, 12:05:18 PM »

Reading the article by Rick Kopec about the demise of the Arizona Concours d’Elegance and I began to look back at some car shows, car clubs and events that no longer exist. SAAC has been going strong and even getting stronger. I can't tell you how many times I have club members that have looked at my car, asked questions, pointed out items, and generally helped me make the car better. What a great club that exists to help everyone with their cars, they aren't critical, they are helpful. Now if you want they will critique it to a concurs level and can help you get your car to that level if you wish. Looking at all the volunteers that help make the club work, help on conventions, and generally make sure the club works is refreshing. I also see that many people have volunteered to help keep the Registry up to date and offering to take over or assist those who have done it for so many years. What others clubs have all of this support and help? A Convention, the Registry and a collection of enthusiasts that go out of their way to make sure that you have the best Shelby that they want.
Hats off to all of the people in the club have kept the club going, those who are volunteering for the future, and all of those who hold the passion for all things Shelby, we are the Gold Standard for all clubs, we are the "Pebble Beach" of car clubs, the standard by which others are judged.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:21:45 PM by Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas) » Logged

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 12:18:21 PM »

Well said.

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 01:26:18 PM »

Unfortunate to see another Concours go away.  Our local one, the Santa Fe Concorso, is also gone now after 8 years.  The reasons here is not corporate sponsorship (like the Arizona one), or lack of great cars and famous judges, but because no one wanted to step up and continue organizing it after the original organizers (like Denise McCluggage) either passed away or decided it was too much work.  These events take tons of volunteers and organization, and ones like SAAC and NCRS (I just returned from our Nationals) are lucky to have all that.  Count yourselves fortunate, many car shows and events are no more over the last few years. Chug a Lug

Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »

Soon there will be a Concours event for the Prius.  Hang on to your battery packs. Cheesy 

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »

Soon there will be a Concours event for the Prius.  Hang on to your battery packs. Cheesy 

Hysterical

I told a guy at work the other day that my car was the antidote for his Prius!

6S273
SAAC Member

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 08:52:39 PM »

Soon there will be a Concours event for the iPhone  Hang on to your battery packs. Cheesy 

There, fixed it for ya.

06 GT

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »

SAAC became the gold standard for several reasons. 2 of those reasons are still around Rick Kopec and Howard Pardee. Some other early participants in the growth were Royal Kreiger who put together SAAC1 in Oakland (with help from others), Austin Craig and Ken Eber. Shelby cars in 1975 when SAAC started were really just oddities in the car market. Not much was placed on rarity and people were just buying them due to their performance and to beat up on them Shelby had even written off that time of his life and was on to other things. Serious restorations didn't begin until the late 80s and that was due to the efforts of those running the club who brought publicity to the cars and what they accomplished in history which increased their value and desireability. Yes SAAC conventions are the gold standard but IMHO they peaked about 8-10 years ago. Owners don't look forward to driving their cars to a convention 1,000+ miles away and complain about the distance they have to trailer so you see far fewer cars. I was at SAAC1 and SAAC42 - I think SAAC1 had more cars and only 2 trailers. The mainstay for many years was the open track but that is way down for vintage cars since the value is so high and owners don't want to risk damage or getting their $100,000 restoration dirty. I predict by SAAC50 there will no longer be an open track. There will be a handful of cars that are driven to the event but none of those for over 100 miles. There will be less than 100 cars total and at least 40 of those will be concours judged - mainly by mercenary owners who realize what a SAAC award will do for the value of their investment. I'll be 75 at SAAC50 and I plan on attending wherever it is. As time goes on SAAC will evolve passing the torch to a newer generation who will have to figure out what the membership wants/needs. I think that car attendance has gone down due to the fact that a lot of cars are no longer the only collectable somebody owns. Many are in the hands of collectors with 10+ cars and are generally not the focus of the collection but just another investment to be stored and held until a decent profit can be made. These owners don't have a specific love of their car and you won't see them or their car at a convention. OK old guy rant off.

QuickSilverShelby

I wanna go where the beer flows like wine.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 12:22:37 AM »

It blows my mind when you tell me you were at SAAC 1 and SAAC 2.  I was just 6 years old back then and I'm sure I just stopped sh!ting my pants when you all were attending the first conventions Cheesy  I attended SAAC 41 last year and SAAC 42 this year and I had a ball.  I'll be 56 at SAAC 50 and I'll be there.

I've been thinking about the future of SAAC for several years now.  This is a great organization and I have allot of enthusiasm for it but I'm a little worried.  When I read about some of other great clubs and events shutting down I worry about the future of these legendary cars and clubs from a glorious time.

What all the founders have done for the club and the Shelby legacy is really amazing.  What a spectacular 42 years it has been.  Hell, I own a 68 GT500 that was born in February 68 and I was born in April 69.  It seams strange that I own/love a car that is older than myself, yet I find it intoxicating.   I find all the Shelby enthusiasts that I've met at my first two SAAC conventions simply amazing and I want to meet more of these great people at future events.

Here's what I'm wondering:  Are there some up and comers in the wings?  I'm not trying to cast our founders aside or be negative but I love this club and the whole Shelby culture.  It really speaks to me.

My question is:  How can some of us young bucks in our 40's and 30's help SAAC thrive for another 42 years?  SAAC is really the Gold Standard and I'd like to keep shine on our club, the cars and the events for years to come.  

How can I help?

QSS

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 12:28:12 AM by QuickSilverShelby » Logged

1968 GT500 Convertible Auto
2007 GT-H 5spd
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 02:10:37 AM »

Well said QSS. I feel the same. The great people I have met through the club have been both knowledge and happy to go above and beyond to help me with my 66. Just last week I purchased a part I needed from a guy in the US who wouldn't ship overseas. I had him ship it to Brant from VC and he repacked it and sent it on to me in Oz. All the same day he got it and in his own time. Absolute champion and it shows the SAAC spirit.

Whatever us younger crew can do to keep the SAAC gold standard going let us know!

Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 03:08:55 AM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 06:29:42 AM »

Hysterical

I told a guy at work the other day that my car was the antidote for his Prius!

Yes.......

* DOWNSHIFT.jpg (35.03 KB, 383x480 - viewed 36 times.)
caspian65

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »

My question is:  How can some of us young bucks in our 40's and 30's help SAAC thrive for another 42 years?  SAAC is really the Gold Standard and I'd like to keep shine on our club, the cars and the events for years to come.  

I'm about a year younger, but I've been involved in concours since the mid 90's, starting with MCA and then SAAC later.  

The way to keep things going is to get involved and contribute to the club/hobby.  

TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 06:49:48 PM »

Hell, I own a 68 GT500 that was born in February 68 and I was born in April 69.
  My '69 GT350 was born April 7th, 1969 Grin

TOB

QuickSilverShelby

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:26:42 PM »

My '69 GT350 was born April 7th, 1969 Grin

TOB
How old are you young buck??  Cool

QSS

2007 GT-H 5spd
QuickSilverShelby

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 09:38:13 PM »

I'm about a year younger, but I've been involved in concours since the mid 90's, starting with MCA and then SAAC later.  

The way to keep things going is to get involved and contribute to the club/hobby.  
Damn, you've been involved since you were 25 or 26?  That's awesome!!!   I think I saw my first Mustang when I was 15 or so.  I din't fall in love with Shelby's until my late 30's.  Now I'm 40ish and I'm a fanatic.

How the hell were you so ahead of your time?  I knew nothing when I was that young.  Together we shall carry the Shelby torch and rule the world!!!!

I've had a couple of rums tonight but I'm dead serious about carrying the Shelby torch onward into the future.  

Rum gives me clarity  Hysterical

How can I help the club going forward?  idea

QSS

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:40:10 PM by QuickSilverShelby » Logged

2007 GT-H 5spd
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 09:57:06 PM »

How can I help the club going forward?  idea

- Find a need and fill it. Your passion will hopefully develop as you get involved. Example might be the late model or newer Shelbys if that is an interest. There will be a great need for details and information as we move to include them in judging for example. You have the basic framework already done (just start with what has been developed for the early car) and build from there.   

- Find a section or part of the club organization or what the club  does that interests you and volunteer.

- Look to what talents you have away from cars and how they could be applied to the clubs use or maybe take it in a new direction or advance a current one.  Every  club has hundreds of members with very specialized talents just make sure there is not a problem with conflict of interest or others things that might cause issues with your day job  Roll Eyes

Allot may depend on where your located or what time you have to donate to the cause but that will even change over the years. Just adjust to it and be forthcoming with it and others will understand. Once involved find another or two and mentor them. 

Organizations do a good job (at times) of burning people out or discouraging them- just the nature of the beast.  In any volunteer organization workers most of the time, just want to be involved, included in the decision making process as well as helping set direction. Then thanked every so often

Just my thoughts after growing up in clubs both national and regional

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!