The Official SAAC Forum
July 20, 2017, 09:29:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  

SAAC

SAAC Memberlodge

SAAC Stuff

SAAC Facebook

SAAC Facebook Group

SAAC on Twitter
2009 Annual
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bumper Jack  (Read 283 times)
Rodster-500

« on: July 15, 2017, 06:56:26 PM »

Took a roadtrip with a friend in a 'barnfind' type of 64 Fairlane (289 3sp on the column) which was a blast in itself, but there was an added bonus. On the way home the PS rear tire blew and we had to change the tire along the road using the bumper jack and a snow tire spare. I forgot the clicking sound of the bumper jack and how high the car had to go to change the tire.  A trip back in time for sure.  Grin

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
6S1568
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:48:40 AM »

The bumper jack is one of the scariest inventions ever in the automotive industry. My personal experience is that I never had a flat tire where the ground around me was level and solid. I envisioned the jack giving away at any moment, but it didn't. So..........scary, but effective. I'll take a scissor jack any day over a bumper jack!

Rodster-500

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »

The bumper jack is one of the scariest inventions ever in the automotive industry. My personal experience is that I never had a flat tire where the ground around me was level and solid. I envisioned the jack giving away at any moment, but it didn't. So..........scary, but effective. I'll take a scissor jack any day over a bumper jack!

I didn't say it wasn't scary.  Grin My buddy jacked up the car as I was broke the lug nuts loose then he removed the flat and let's just say I QUICKLY got the spare on and started the lug nuts.  Wink

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
Steve McDonald (formally mcdonas)
Drive it, you'll never regret it
SAAC Member

Drive it like you stole it

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:23:04 AM »

If you leave the wrench in the jack and start it down, it gets a rhythm and goes down automatically, if you do it wrong, it twists and the car fall off the jack. Changed many a tire using bumper jacks, the ones with the slot in the bumper were better than the ones that just depended on the weight of the car to hold the piece to the bumper

6S1431 owned since 1971, driven cross country 3 times, daily driver until for almost 20 years, has over 200,000 miles on it. Every time I drive it it makes me feel like I'm 21 again
R Code

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 06:59:39 AM »

Prowling the junkyards as a teenager, we did employed bumper jacks in a variety of sketchy ways...luckily we had a ready supply of old rims to use as jackstands as well.

- Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!