The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 07:48:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1969 GT350 Stick Flywheel  (Read 415 times)
CSX4781

Email
« on: July 15, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »

Does anyone out there know for certain what the correct casting number is for a 69 351W 4V stick flywheel? None of my books list a casting number, save for one that gives a listing for a 351 in a 1969 Fairlane (and since those are heavier cars, they may have the heavier wheel where the face overhangs the ring gear on the clutch side, not sure that would be right for a Shelby/Mustang/Cougar application). What I do know for certain is it should take an 11" clutch.

My 69 GT350 project is missing the flywheel and bellhousing, and I have no point of reference to go by (i.e. I've never seen an untouched original 351-4V taken apart), and I'm just learning the 69 Shelbys now. The motor is a perfectly good 69 351-4V that ran fine when the car was taken apart, can put it back in as is if I find a correct original flywheel, as I won't have to get into a balance job. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

stuart01
SAAC Member

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 06:56:17 AM »

These part numbers were pulled from the Drivetrain section on the Mustangtek website.  They are specifically for the 1969 351W with manual trans.

Bell Housing (cast iron): cast with C5TA-6394-A.  This was replaced by a D1TA version that is fairly common.

Flywheel: cast with C5AE-6380-A, hard-stamped with C7TE-A.  This was also replaced later with a D1 part number version.

hope this helps,

Stu

427heaven

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 07:31:00 AM »

I don't know if you are going all ORIGINAL but you are referencing truck part numbers there. The c5t and d1t are truck numbers that may have used the larger clutch . I doubt that SHELBYS used truck numbers for much of any thing but I have been wrong before. PeelOut

CSX4781

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 08:45:02 PM »

Stuart,
  Thanks for the info- I have located one of those bellhousings, I have to go pick it up next week. I had the correct flywheel and bellhousing in a pile of stuff I got rid of years ago thinking it was nothing but truck parts, little did I know- the friend I got it from said they were the original parts from a 1969 Torino GT 351W/4 speed car he parted out in the late 70s or early 80s. Live and learn....

427Heaven,
   That bell housing is also the correct piece for 351C stick cars through 1973 (including the Boss 351). I won't toss out anything with a truck number on it from here on out unless I'm certain it doesn't share an HP car application. Also, the 11" clutch IS the big clutch in the small block world (at least factory equipped). I would have thought the 10.5" would have been what was in a 351W (because the Boss 302 only had a 10.5" unit), but not so. I still learn something new about these cars even after 40 years....

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!