The Official SAAC Forum
November 19, 2017, 07:11:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 428PI still running hot  (Read 8297 times)
Bob Gaines

« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »

Bob my contact was Wild Bills corvette & high performance center they show it available. If you research leaded gasoline this is the product they removed to make unleaded gasoline. I have never needed to use more than 1.8oz but be aware this stuff is toxic they suggest using rubber gloves when handling this product. The vendor in reply 159 is where my last case came from in June.
I am familiar with Tetra Ethel Leads anti knock ,octane boost and toxic qualities. I used a product very similar a decade ago that was discontinued. I used that similar product a lot and it has lasted me a long time. I used the last little bit that I found tucked away on a shelf just three days ago so this conversation was very timely for me to read. I already bought some from the 4X4 site last night to try .

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
stickshift

« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »

If you use this stuff regularly it is going to leave some funny deposits on the plugs that you haven't seen in a long time and there will be a new residue film you will see in the oil.
Probably little round specs of lead?

IF it is working, the car should idle down a couple of hundred rpm's all by itself.

Hold a clean white t-shirt fabric over the exhaust to see what it is blowing through the system. A before and after could be helpful.

The Moroso has the same cautions on handling it. Try not to sniff it. It will give you quite a kick in the head, and not a good one either.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 06:31:11 PM by stickshift » Logged
corbins

« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2017, 05:56:22 PM »

Any resolution yet? Curious to hear what steps have been taken and the results... report immediately  Grin

SAAC Member

« Reply #168 on: August 16, 2017, 06:14:13 PM »

Also anxious to hear.

robert campbell

Email
« Reply #169 on: August 16, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »

Me to!

Rob

KR Convertible
Paul Orr
SAAC Member

« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »

Ok, sorry, I thought maybe you guys were tired of listening to me whine.    Hysterical

Two weeks ago, I installed the lower hose spring, a mechanical temp gauge in the thermostat housing (tested in boiling water), and diluted the antifreeze to about 50/50 with distilled water.  I then took it for a test ride to Home Depot to get Toluene, only to find that they no longer sell it.  So I picked up 2 5-gallon gas cans and headed for the Cam 2 station.  The temp went to 230 in stop and go traffic but stayed around 200-210 on the highway.  About 5 miles from home, I was doing about 70, suddenly it looked like a mosquito fogging truck.  There was smoke pouring out from the rear of the car!  I thought the motor had let go!  I did a quick check of the gauges and they were ok, so I decided to go for it.

I managed to make it home and put it up on the lift.  The underside of the car was soaked with trans fluid from the firewall back.  So glad I spent an entire day washing the engine compartment and floorpan while the engine was out!!   Head knock

Long story short, I couldn't find a leak anywhere.  I finally let the car down and noticed the trans dipstick was up about 1/2".  The vent on the top of the trans must be blocked off, allowing pressure to build in the case and popping the dipstick up.  I'll pull the vent out when I pull the motor for the cam change.

The good news is my lengthy test drive burned enough gas that I was able to get 4 gallons of Cam 2 in the tank.  That was enough to eliminate the pinging, and it seems to run 5-10 degrees cooler.  I think I left the timing at 8 degrees.  If I have time this weekend, I want to get some compression numbers and possibly a little more timing out of it.

I also ordered a fan clutch from Chris Brown (beautiful piece).  Hopefully, that helps in traffic.  I did try a cheap fan clutch last year and it seemed to run hotter.

We are making progress, but my end goal is to be able to make it run cool on pump gas.   Chug a Lug

1957 Thunderbird F code
1959 Cadillac 62 Series convertible
1966 Mustang GT convertible
1968 GT500 convertible #0181
2016 Ford "Exploder"
2016 F450 King Ranch
Bob Gaines

« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2017, 01:35:19 PM »

Ok, sorry, I thought maybe you guys were tired of listening to me whine.    Hysterical

Two weeks ago, I installed the lower hose spring, a mechanical temp gauge in the thermostat housing (tested in boiling water), and diluted the antifreeze to about 50/50 with distilled water.  I then took it for a test ride to Home Depot to get Toluene, only to find that they no longer sell it.  So I picked up 2 5-gallon gas cans and headed for the Cam 2 station.  The temp went to 230 in stop and go traffic but stayed around 200-210 on the highway.  About 5 miles from home, I was doing about 70, suddenly it looked like a mosquito fogging truck.  There was smoke pouring out from the rear of the car!  I thought the motor had let go!  I did a quick check of the gauges and they were ok, so I decided to go for it.

I managed to make it home and put it up on the lift.  The underside of the car was soaked with trans fluid from the firewall back.  So glad I spent an entire day washing the engine compartment and floorpan while the engine was out!!   Head knock

Long story short, I couldn't find a leak anywhere.  I finally let the car down and noticed the trans dipstick was up about 1/2".  The vent on the top of the trans must be blocked off, allowing pressure to build in the case and popping the dipstick up.  I'll pull the vent out when I pull the motor for the cam change.

The good news is my lengthy test drive burned enough gas that I was able to get 4 gallons of Cam 2 in the tank.  That was enough to eliminate the pinging, and it seems to run 5-10 degrees cooler.  I think I left the timing at 8 degrees.  If I have time this weekend, I want to get some compression numbers and possibly a little more timing out of it.

I also ordered a fan clutch from Chris Brown (beautiful piece).  Hopefully, that helps in traffic.  I did try a cheap fan clutch last year and it seemed to run hotter.

We are making progress, but my end goal is to be able to make it run cool on pump gas.   Chug a Lug
Although you checked the boxes of many possible problems off of the list. Too bad you didn't eliminate all or more of the other possibles so that while the engine is out again that you could feel more comfortable with the solution of sleeving. I hope your cam change makes a positive difference.  Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
stickshift

« Reply #172 on: August 18, 2017, 04:28:56 AM »

Which cam did you put in it?

My impression, right or wrong, is that the new fan clutches are all the same clutches, just stamped with the number that you want on them?

I'm not sure if that is important at all as far as their function. No one has ever discussed the differences in what they do by part number as far as I know?

I'm glad that the engine is running better now. Removal of paranoia on a big block is necessary to enjoy it in my view. You can't be tense waiting for it to explode while you are driving it, I don't think?  Grin

corbins

« Reply #173 on: August 18, 2017, 05:20:50 AM »

I would be interested to hear those compression readings... I'm still betting the block has been decked (at least once) and the heads have been milled more than once and your compression is way too high for pump gas. Sounds like a little Cam 2 made quite a difference.
Keep us posted, its all a learning experience Smiley
PS... you don't need to pull the motor for the cam change , just the grill and hood latch support.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:22:48 AM by corbins » Logged
KR Convertible
Paul Orr
SAAC Member

« Reply #174 on: September 02, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »

Time for an update.

I still haven't had a chance to get compression readings.  I did replace the fan clutch with one from Chris Brown.  The clutch I had in was for a 67 GT500, I think (C7ZE-B) so I wanted to get the right one anyway.  I thought my clutch was good since it cooled better than one I bought from Autozone.  Boy was I wrong.  The new clutch from Chris turned very tight compared to the Autozone one.   The temperature came down about 10-20 degrees depending on speed.  It runs about 185 on the highway and 210 sitting in traffic.  I haven't driven it a whole lot since the change, but so far I'm thrilled with the results!!

I will still be changing the cam over the winter to improve the timing and pinging issues.  Although it is possible to change the cam without pulling the motor, I prefer to pull it and be able to paint everything assembled as the factory did.

I'm thinking about taking it on the LVSAAC road tour coming up in a few weeks.  We'll see how it likes a couple of hours of spirited driving!   PeelOut

1957 Thunderbird F code
1959 Cadillac 62 Series convertible
1966 Mustang GT convertible
1968 GT500 convertible #0181
2016 Ford "Exploder"
2016 F450 King Ranch
SAAC Member

« Reply #175 on: September 02, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »

Nice to have an update!   Chug a Lug

propayne

« Reply #176 on: September 02, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »

Yes, thanks for the update.

I think I'll be contacting Chris  Grin

- Phillip

preaction
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

I had a factory clutch rebuilt and its a night and day difference the factory fan moves a lot of air when working properly.

SAAC Member

« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

I had a factory clutch rebuilt and its a night and day difference the factory fan moves a lot of air when working properly.

Where did you have that done?

corbins

« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »

Time for an update.

I still haven't had a chance to get compression readings.  I did replace the fan clutch with one from Chris Brown.  The clutch I had in was for a 67 GT500, I think (C7ZE-B) so I wanted to get the right one anyway.  I thought my clutch was good since it cooled better than one I bought from Autozone.  Boy was I wrong.  The new clutch from Chris turned very tight compared to the Autozone one.   The temperature came down about 10-20 degrees depending on speed.  It runs about 185 on the highway and 210 sitting in traffic.  I haven't driven it a whole lot since the change, but so far I'm thrilled with the results!!

I will still be changing the cam over the winter to improve the timing and pinging issues.  Although it is possible to change the cam without pulling the motor, I prefer to pull it and be able to paint everything assembled as the factory did.

I'm thinking about taking it on the LVSAAC road tour coming up in a few weeks.  We'll see how it likes a couple of hours of spirited driving!   PeelOut

210 would be very normal operating temp. Glad you got it down. The reduced temp should also help with the pinging issue I would think. Sounds like you're making real progress.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!