The Official SAAC Forum
November 23, 2017, 10:40:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1966 GT350 with Factory Hone-O-Drive  (Read 1443 times)
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »

Wow I had never heard of it, sounds cool, good idea for the long drives  Chug a Lug

6S273
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:31 PM »

Hi Jon,

I did not realize that the Hone-O-Drive was being re-offered.  Looks like the unit at $3400, the shifter at $174.95, a shorten drive line (guess $200, maybe more) would bring the part cost just under $3800.  I am assuming the shifter kit also comes with the rod.  Add some labor, could put the price near $4500 installed.  Wow

Looked at the site a couple of days ago of the place I think that makes them Same link. If you notice everything on the site a a few years old and everythign is out of stock.  Not sure if the company is operating any longer

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
67-1690

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:41 PM »

My buddy has one in his '67 500...very cool.

'67 GT-350 #1690
'66 Coupe, 289, my first car....still have it.
ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Replica Cobra
Bob Gaines

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 07:55:30 PM »

Hi Jon,

I did not realize that the Hone-O-Drive was being re-offered.  Looks like the unit at $3400, the shifter at $174.95, a shorten drive line (guess $200, maybe more) would bring the part cost just under $3800.  I am assuming the shifter kit also comes with the rod.  Add some labor, could put the price near $4500 installed.  Wow

Thanks for sharing the link.

Cory
Today most change out the 4 speed transmission for a 5 or 6 speed to get the over drive benefits. 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 08:50:09 PM »

I know a guy with one in a yellow 1968 KR.

They werent factory installed....
True but dealer installed yes. That yellow hone a drive is going to be started soon

RIP OTIS  2015
torch40

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 10:17:18 PM »

I looked at this car last year in San Jose. Very nice. Owner is a great guy.

2011 GT350 #50
1966 GT350 #038
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2017, 01:22:11 AM »

Can't recall the last time I saw one in an automatic equipped car.
Have seen a number of cars that appeared they were original to the GT350

Supercharger in the grill is something I think that Mr Gasket made and sold in the 80-90's Had for years hanging on the wall and threw it away durign the last move

What is the Bureau of Automotive Repair

BAR  California state agency responsible for allot of things including emission testing and over site, repair shops, ........... and assigning new VIN's to cars with  histories

Great fun to work with some times    Roll Eyes

................. The other version was suspended between the transmission and third member with two drive lines.  I am not sure of the intended applications.

Often trucks and other non-Fords. Have seen them on Camaros and such from the period

Unit I have came from a Ford truck

Jeff Speegle
capecodmustang.com

bret@capecodmustang.com
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »

I'm quite sure I've seen dealer brochure's showing the option if you wanted it added......

Bob Gaines

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 08:29:22 AM »

Some Ford trucks have 2 speed rear ends that are transplanted and modified into passenger cars for overdrive benefits .

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
06 GT

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 08:58:27 AM »

BAR  California state agency responsible for allot of things including emission testing and over site, repair shops, ........... and assigning new VIN's to cars with  histories
BAR doesn't do VINs. That is under the DMV and CHP. Either can inspect or issue a new one. Typically when a car comes into the state it goes to DMV (or the Auto Club) and they verify the VIN. If it looks off or there is a problem they will send you to the CHP they do a more detailed inspection.

How did everybody miss this?
This Shelby GT 350 is one of 1,373 1966 model year cars.

The stand alone Hone-O-Drive was used on trucks with a split driveshaft. It mounted on the crossmember where the driveshaft bearing was and you needed to shorten both shafts.

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

BAR doesn't do VINs. That is under the DMV and CHP. Either can inspect or issue a new one. Typically when a car comes into the state it goes to DMV (or the Auto Club) and they verify the VIN. If it looks off or there is a problem they will send you to the CHP they do a more detailed inspection.

Guess I should try and clarify if I can. BAR is part of the process when a Specially-Constructed (SPCNS) Vehicle is assigned a VIN but that doesn't relate to this vehicle

What this label (shown in the pictures attached to the door jamb) is likely for is related to emission testing from a BAR emission referee at some point in the past since the Paxton (reason it is listed on the label)  is listed on the label in the lower right corner.  Normal emission testing stations would likely really be challenged if faced with at item.  That would be part of the cars history I was relating that to.

As far as the model 300 Hone o drive there were also cross members that could be added to non Ford or truck products for the installation as indicated in a number of articles from the period The original order form shows a "Special Camaro & Firebird frame extensions, bolts and isolators" for $29.50

Jeff Speegle
06 GT

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2017, 04:06:06 PM »

Guess I should try and clarify if I can. BAR is part of the process when a Specially-Constructed (SPCNS) Vehicle is assigned a VIN but that doesn't relate to this vehicle
Yes - You need to go to a BAR certified repair place for a smog - lamp & brake inspection before you can get a VIN. We also had to take the SHOGUN Festivas in since they had engine swaps. It wasn't really a problem for those since body and engine were same year.

SFM6S087

Email
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 08:14:17 AM »

How did everybody miss this?
This Shelby GT 350 is one of 1,373 1966 model year cars.

The stand alone Hone-O-Drive was used on trucks with a split driveshaft. It mounted on the crossmember where the driveshaft bearing was and you needed to shorten both shafts.

A sentence from the previous paragraph in the ad says: "Sales more than doubled the previous year with 1966 GT 350 production reaching 1,373 fastbacks (not including 1003 Hertz special edition cars)."

So they did get it right at least once. But then omitted mention of the 1003 Hertz cars in their "one of" sentence.

Steve

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 12:33:26 AM by SFM6S087 » Logged
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »

A member of the long disbanded Northern Illinois Shelby club had a red 66 GT 350 with Hone-O-Drive.  It was pretty cool.  Funny how the red cars seem to get the cool stuff.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!