News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

How many 1966 Gt 350's are owned and known?

Started by SFM6S1348, January 30, 2018, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFM6S1348

After seeing the pictures of the 1966 GT 350's I wondered how many of these cars are known and owned regardless of condition?
How many are known to have been destroyed wreck, fire, or other...
I remember seeing a picture of burned out one after a California fire in 2002 I think.

Les 1348

...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

gt350hr

The purchase of a registry book will give you some insight as to how many are "known".
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

GT350Lad

We had a thread on this topic on the old forum, from memory the majority where known. But registry also has a lot of info mate.

6S373
6S1276

SFM6S1348

Quote from: GT350Lad on January 30, 2018, 05:23:49 PM
We had a thread on this topic on the old forum, from memory the majority where known. But registry also has a lot of info mate.

I own the last two registries and enjoy reading the newest one now. Having said that using mine as an example it has my name and information but
the last line says current ownership unknown as I recall. I sent current info but for what ever reason the text does not recognize it.
Please do not take this as a criticism as I marvel at the great job SAAC does in web, books, and events...etc.
Just thought this was a item some of the historians here might know.
Thanks,

Les 1348
...found 6S1348 after a full year of searching. It was in a garage I passed every day on the way to work. I looked at cars in front yards, back yards, storage garages, in fields, and under trees. I found a 65 that had hit a tree and was bent all the way to the back...

gt350hr

Les that is the problem with printed matter.  THE moment it is printed , it becomes history as new information becomes available.  Kopec said the current book is likely the last because it takes SO long to to put together! Notice no other entity has even attempted to publish a registry.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

GT350Lad

All good mate. One day we might have an online registry that someone runs and it could be instantly updated but that still requires a willing tech savvy person and the job of transferring the current data would be massive. SAAC does an awesome job and some of the guys on here have some impressive databases that have collated themselves.

It's all good food for thought
6S373
6S1276

Bigfoot

You can be rest assured that a minimum of 10% of the 65/66/67 cars are cut up and gone.
Probably a much bigger number but it's hard to debate something impossible to quantify.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

joephil

Do you know the SFM number of this GT350 destroyed during the Targa Florio of 1967?

FL SAAC

that's a good gauge of what is still out there

Quote from: gt350hr on January 30, 2018, 05:13:04 PM
  The purchase of a registry book will give you some insight as to how many are "known".
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

joephil

Thanks Tony I found the answer to page 190 of the registry.  ;)
3 photos including one with the car still on fire  :'(

FL SAAC

so the new formula is ;

total number - 1 on fire =

Quote from: joephil on November 27, 2019, 10:08:46 AM
Thanks Tony I found the answer to page 190 of the registry.  ;)
3 photos including one with the car still on fire  :'(
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

6s1640

I am hearing from a long time hobbyist that has owned many GT350's from back in the day, there are a fare number of re-bodied GT350's as well.  This is why you always want help verifying a car is legit.  How do you count these cars?  The registry does ID some of these cars as rebodied.

For example, there is a good chance that 6S1415 is a rebody.  Offered for sale at $80K.  The car looks very nice and has lots of legit GT350 parts on the car.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/shelby/gt350h/2262243.html

I would not count this car or count them in their own category.

Cory

69mach351w

Quote from: joephil on November 27, 2019, 08:37:12 AM
Do you know the SFM number of this GT350 destroyed during the Targa Florio of 1967?
In that article, I see a number 234 ???

silverton_ford

Quote from: 69mach351w on November 27, 2019, 02:51:43 PM
Quote from: joephil on November 27, 2019, 08:37:12 AM
In that article, I see a number 234 ???

It is 6S465

NC TRACKRAT

"Kopec said the current book is likely the last because it takes SO long to to put together!"  Although I'm certainly not knowledgeable enough to do it, I can envision a restricted, live, on-line registry with each registrar acting as a monitor for their respective year/s. Owners would submit revisions, changes in ownership, additions, etc. to the respective registrars and the registrars would simply enter the information once it is reviewed.  Only SAAC members would be able to access the on-line registry.
5S071, 6S1467