The Official SAAC Forum
November 20, 2017, 12:20:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bolt direction rear shackle  (Read 673 times)
6TEE6k

Email
« on: June 29, 2017, 02:31:39 PM »

Does any one know for sure what way the lower bolt on the lf side of the rear spring shackle goes . Mine is hitting the exhaust collector. The nut is toward the gas tank now  and gouging the collector . Should it be the other way around . 1970 gt 350 Thank You for any help or a good photo.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »

Does any one know for sure what way the lower bolt on the lf side of the rear spring shackle goes . Mine is hitting the exhaust collector. The nut is toward the gas tank now  and gouging the collector . Should it be the other way around . 1970 gt 350 Thank You for any help or a good photo.
You should get a set of the 69 assemblyline manuals not to be confused with the 69 shop manuals. The illustrations will help answer thousand of questions .They are available through any major vendor. Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Wood27man

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 07:08:45 AM »

If I understand your question, you are asking about the shackle that attaches the rear of the leaf spring to the frame of the car, is that correct? On my '67, the shackle is installed so that the nuts are toward the gas tank. If I recall, that is the only way I could get them in due to clearance. I do have an old Haynes Manual for Mustangs (I don't have the manual Bob refers to unfortunately) and in the Haynes manual is says "direction of shackle is optional." So you may be able to reverse for a better fit and avoid the interference.
Jeff

Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:05:19 AM »

If I understand your question, you are asking about the shackle that attaches the rear of the leaf spring to the frame of the car, is that correct? On my '67, the shackle is installed so that the nuts are toward the gas tank. If I recall, that is the only way I could get them in due to clearance. I do have an old Haynes Manual for Mustangs (I don't have the manual Bob refers to unfortunately) and in the Haynes manual is says "direction of shackle is optional." So you may be able to reverse for a better fit and avoid the interference.
Jeff
FYI Right and left shackle on 67. On 69/70 both shackles are the same.

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »

No disrespect, but what happened another year, at another plant, probably isn't going to be helpful.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
Bob Gaines

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:23 AM »

No disrespect, but what happened another year, at another plant, probably isn't going to be helpful.

I agree that is why I was reminding Wood27man why his 67 example which was not a good choice because of the difference.

6TEE6k

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 02:39:32 PM »

Yes that is the bolt I am talking about , The nut points towards the tank , and it is gouging the exhaust collector that goes to the ctr of the car at the outlet , I have a set of books but cannot see which way the nut is . need a good photo of Gt 350 exhaust  Cry

Bob Gaines

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »

Yes that is the bolt I am talking about , The nut points towards the tank , and it is gouging the exhaust collector that goes to the ctr of the car at the outlet , I have a set of books but cannot see which way the nut is . need a good photo of Gt 350 exhaust  Cry
Pg 38 of the assembly manual shows the detail. Driver side nut is toward the gas tank and and passenger side nut is facing away from the tank. The manual also says " direction of shackle is optional on all but duel exhaust cars".I hope it is the passenger side you are have trouble with because that is the one that is close on one of the two i have up on lifts .   Chug a Lug

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!