The Official SAAC Forum
October 17, 2017, 03:33:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underside primer color of early cars  (Read 881 times)
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:50:48 AM »

After seeing the photos of car 6S001 for sale on another thread, I was interested to see the first bit primer from a car that didn't look like the red clay countryside.  Instead, it had a nice salmon hue to it, a lot like what the underside of my car still has in a few places.  Can any early owners weigh in on the color of the primer used on their cars?  These pics are from restored 6S001, but I'm assuming  they matched what must have been there originally.

* gt350 v.jpg (63.61 KB, 800x600 - viewed 99 times.)

* gt350 w.jpg (76.46 KB, 800x600 - viewed 82 times.)

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

car 26-JD

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:03:39 AM »

I think based on postings from Jeff S., Bob G and others that the less red/more Salmon color is typical in areas of the San Jose built cars of this period.  Yes mine has some too preserved under the rust-proofing someone added.

1967 GT350 - car #26
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 07:04:58 PM »

After seeing the photos of car 6S001 for sale on another thread, I was interested to see the first bit primer from a car that didn't look like the red clay countryside.

Not sure what your looking for. Have plenty of pictures and actual sections of floors cut from San Jose cars all years during the classic period to the end of production of Mustangs there.  Since your asking the question in the 67 section is the discussion limited to just 67? if its all years it might have been more correct to post in the Concours section of the site.  Looking at all years you have everything from almost black batch colors, blues, pasty red, salmon, muddy brown and tones in between in some cases

Instead, it had a nice salmon hue to it, a lot like what the underside of my car still has in a few places.  Can any early owners weigh in on the color of the primer used on their cars?  These pics are from restored 6S001, but I'm assuming  they matched what must have been there originally.

If your comparing or want to discuss 67s .... not sure why your referencing a car built more than a year prior - 6S001

If your looking for info about your car or another specific one  we nned either the first three of your cars sequential or the date the car was completed at San Jose I believe you would get a more reliable and historically correct answer.    Chug a Lug

Also remember that there were two different red oxides applied to the undercarriage of 65-67 San Jose cars Wink

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:10:40 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
SAAC Member

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »

When I saw the picture Brian posted, the first thing that struck me was that color isn't red oxide, or even salmon.

It is Mary Kay cosmetics Pink!

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:45:46 PM »

Jeff,

I was asking specifically for early 1967's models, say from DSO 84-2505.  I only referenced the images above which just happened to be off a 1966 model, because the  rather 'pink' color of the primer seemed to match pretty closely what I've observed on the underside of my car, no. 83.  I'm sorry if this caused any confusion.  I understand there were very many differences with primer colors depending on what date the car was manufactured as well as in what factory it occurred.  I hope this now limits the parameters of our discussion to late October 1966 out of San Jose.  Does the color on car 6S001 look approximately like the hue of what I should expect on my car?

Brian Glover

67350#1242

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:37 AM »

I have an early Nov 66 SJ coupe #136xxx with original primer underneath very similar to the images posted. Its like red oxide with lots of white mixed in.
Kurt.

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:55:22 PM »

I was asking specifically for early 1967's models, say from DSO 84-2505.  I only referenced the images above which just happened to be off a 1966 model, because the  rather 'pink' color of the primer seemed to match pretty closely what I've observed on the underside of my car, no. 83. ..................  Does the color on car 6S001 look approximately like the hue of what I should expect on my car?

Thanks. 

Good news is that I have a number of pictures of cars finished on the same day as yours at San Jose so we got really lucky in this example. Challenge is that digital pictures are not real reliable in showing the true colors but we'll do what we can with what we have since I don't have any examples cut from any floors from close to your date to fall back on

Having seen 6S001 in person IMHO the color is not the same as what would have been used originally on your car or others built in that time period. Too pale and pinkish

As you view the pictures below I would suggest you choose a tone or tint in the middle of the range of color posted. This will likely provide the best choice given how the camera captured basically the same color in different lighting conditions and angles. While your in the process remember that the final finish will be smooth and have a slightly glossy look to the finished product (examples are dirty and have not been cleaned/wiped. Oversprays will produce a flatter look in those areas where there is a misting of body color or black from pinch weld painting

Hope this helps

Floor pic #1

Floor pic #2

Floor pic #3

Floor pic #4

From frame finish

Frame pic #1

Frame pic #2

Jeff Speegle
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:03 PM »

Jeff,

Thank you, as always, you are an amazing resource for this club and the MCA.  I tried to upload a few pics of my primer off car 83, but I couldn't for the life of me get them to upload.  So here they are on Imageshack.

https://imageshack.com/a/Z01l/1

Brian Glover

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 09:46:11 PM »

Jeff,

Thank you, as always, you are an amazing resource for this club and the MCA.  I tried to upload a few pics of my primer off car 83, but I couldn't for the life of me get them to upload.  So here they are on Imageshack.

Good added another to the collection Smiley

Looks like the salmon color. Good to see you have something to get a sample or scan of with the camera many paint shops have to match the original color after you clean it for a fresh look.

Glad to be of help

Jeff Speegle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!