The Official SAAC Forum
July 25, 2017, 09:34:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 Ford SHELBY GT-350 MUSTANG Detroit Auto Show ORIGINAL 2x2" PHOTO NEGATIVES  (Read 2531 times)
jjh

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2017, 06:28:57 PM »

Could a showgoer have "lifted" the scoop lights? Wink

Owner of 69 gt-350 #812 from '91 to '14.Owner of ERA 427 street car #677.  SAAC member since'81
SHELB66

Rent-a-Racer

Email
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

Those are awesome prints, Brian.  Thanks for taking the time to make these available for all to see.  KUDOS to you, my friend!

Craig R.

6S1564 (Hertz)
06 Hertz Shelby
64 Ranchero V8 4spd
66 Mustang GT conv.
DaveZ

Email
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2017, 06:47:34 PM »

Fuel door has GT emblem

Bob Gaines

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »

Wow! Great pics, Brian!

It's so odd that they removed the scoop lights. I wonder if they has just found out that they weren't legal based on the timing.

Chug a Lug
I think that they just found out that someone snagged a couple of souvenirs more likely.They are easy to unscrew. FYI the legal issue was a concern but not so much that they would go back and try and "fix" them. I remember asking a SA worker I met at SAAC 14 whose job it was to install the inboard and outboard grills. When quizzed about the change over to the out board grills he said there was no distinct change over criteria vin number etc. .He said that when the pallets of inboard parts ran out the outboard parts stated to be used. In comparison I have a high confidence level that that same mind set applied to the scoop lights. The thought that a company person would take off the red lens on purpose to leave the ugly base plate exposed during a auto display would be highly improbable . 

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
car 26-JD

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2017, 08:46:20 PM »

When I sent Brian the scanned images I suggested the missing lens an bulbs where likely souvenir takers.  Notice people inside the car in some of the photos.  Maybe the shift knob went missing too?

There were some other cars that were shipped without the Shelby gas filler emblem, in the case of this car also likely missing the flat aluminum adaptor as well.

Note the Flat exhaust Trim rings (these are not the '66 GT versions that were trimmed) and were on very few early cars.  I think Car #31 has the same as did Lowell's Prototype.

After looking a the registry and dates of the show and thinking it is a Dark Moss Green color it might be car #003 or #014 and must be the car in front of the brick wall with CS and in the video in front of the Hotel as they all have the fender emblems in the "wrong" location.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:48:05 PM by car 26-JD » Logged

1967 GT350 - car #26
SAAC Member

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »

The GT gas cap lead me to believe this was a super early car.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 09:12:33 PM »

The GT gas cap lead me to believe this was a super early car.
Or it was another item that was napped and the cap (trick snake gas cap lid held on with two Philips screws) was easier to replace from the local Ford dealer then the odd scoop light lens(at least to a uninformed car sitter). Just another scenario . Given the 2 missing lens a vandalize scenario seems plausible IMO.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2017, 04:21:56 AM »

It sure seems that these 'show cars' took quite a beating.  I thought this was the '60s and people were way more honest...

richstang

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »

I took a look at all the VIN numbers for early dark painted cars (DMG, NB, RB) on page 1 of this thread. Only two cars fit the timeframe for this Detroit Auto Show by the registry accounts. The DMG #0003 fits the timeframe and is the only dark color car to date that has appeared with the off placed fender emblems in vintage photos/video. Less likely but possible is the RB #0069 that was delivered to Michigan and not sold until December 24th. (The DMG #0014 is listed as sold in the registry in Mid-November prior to the show).

The missing scoop lens should not be much of a surprise. Just about every NEW auto show Iíve been to has cars missing emblems, shifter handles, and any other easily removed part. I don't think it matter what generation it is. It's like a free for all to the shady people to grab a souvenir. I thought about the bulbs being removed so not to kill the battery from the door left open day after day, but it is more likely they just removed the battery to prevent that and anyone from starting the car indoors.

Brian, once again THANK YOU for sharing these rare and special photos with us!
 Chug a Lug
By any chance did JD get too scan the front fender photo? That one was missing from your album.

martyjac
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2017, 09:21:15 AM »

I have my doubts it's my 0069, as I have the cut exhaust bezels with a screw at the top and also my gas cap has the flat aluminum base for the emblem.

richstang

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »

I have my doubts it's my 0069, as I have the cut exhaust bezels with a screw at the top and also my gas cap has the flat aluminum base for the emblem.

Thanks for chiming in Marty!
With the different rear valence exhaust trim, it sound like we can just about eliminate #0069 from the mix. Both the gas cap and the rear panel could have been replaced at some point, but it does narrow the odds. That leaves us with the stronger possibility of it being #0003.

rcgt350

Email
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2017, 09:25:39 PM »

The scoop lights would have no effect on the battery as they only come on with a signal and or brake application.
I'm going with 0003.

car 26-JD

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 06:08:13 AM »

By any chance did JD get too scan the front fender photo?

Yes....

* DetroitAutoShowNov66Image9b.jpg (68.2 KB, 800x471 - viewed 44 times.)

1967 GT350 - car #26
richstang

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »

^^^
Thanks JD!
You did a nice job with the negative scans.
Chug a Lug

The fender emblem isn't even close to the typical position, huh.
It is probably the lighting in these B&W photos but, the wheel insert sections appear to be darker than we'd expect for an early car.

car 26-JD

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2017, 06:44:06 AM »

^^^
The fender emblem isn't even close to the typical position, huh.
It is probably the lighting in these B&W photos but, the wheel insert sections appear to be darker than we'd expect for an early car.

Yes, way off on location from what "became" typical.

Yes they do appear darker, depending on the lighting in some shots not as dark as others...the difference between the machined surface "color" and rough casting surface "color" is amplified by the photos (?)

* Image03WheelInset.jpg (28.89 KB, 312x435 - viewed 30 times.)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 06:49:48 AM by car 26-JD » Logged

1967 GT350 - car #26
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!