The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 07:49:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General CSX question  (Read 6078 times)
Harv

Email
« on: May 28, 2014, 06:56:12 PM »

Hey guys and gals,
I'm new to the SAAC, but been a life long Shelby fan.  Considering buying a continuation CSX, but wondering if anyone has any experience on re-sale of these cars?  Also the Shelby CSX vs a Superformance.  I wouldn't be buying the car as an investment, but am trying to justify $124,000 for a turnkey Shelby CSX (and he's no longer with us) as opposed to a Superformance for around $70,000, turnkey.  I've been looking at both and both seem to be made in the same place, South Africa.  Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions to share on this. 
Thanks,
Harv

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:02:17 PM »

That's a really tough decision.  It is very much a personal one, IMO.  To me, unless it is made at SAI (or they are involved in it), it just isn't a Shelby Cobra.  That's not to say that other builders don't build good cars, just for my money, I felt it was worth it, others don't, it's your choice.  Good lucků.. Chug a Lug

Al G

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:07 AM »

They are both made in the same factory but they are entirely different cars.  Look at those for sale on Cobra Country and you'll see a considerable difference in resell prices as well.  It seems to me the CSX cars hold their value better but they still depreciate.  Like Mike said, only one of them is a Shelby Cobra.

CSX6045
CSM13GTS0032
Spicewood515
Sr. Car Nut

I cut it twice and its still too short...

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »

I disagree the CSX cars are depreciating, Hagerty Car Valuation tool states 14K since December. I think in time they will go up just how much.

These cars are fun to drive, draw attention and fast  PeelOut

Spicey

* 1965_Shelby_Cobra_CSX_4000_Series.pdf (413.76 KB - downloaded 174 times.)
ChicagoChris
SAAC Member

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:32 AM »

Having owned a CSX 4000 in the past I found it to be a fun car; as close to an original as you can get. 

Just be very careful who you choose as the selling dealer/installer.

Shelby Vegas was no help when I had warranty issues and I suspect that is still the case.

Like anything, something is only worth what someone else will pay you for it.

New CSX rollers continue to increase in price and I've found resale value to be a moving target.

Harv

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions.  Going to be a tough decision, but I think that if I can swing a CSX that's probably the route I'd go.  Like one of you said it's as close to the original as you can get without spending $750K+. 

pchmotoho

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23:38 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions.  Going to be a tough decision, but I think that if I can swing a CSX that's probably the route I'd go.  Like one of you said it's as close to the original as you can get without spending $750K+. 

Make that 751K+.  They probably just went up a grand last night.  Good luck.

tutosnake

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 07:50:51 AM »

I've had a great experience with my CSX6000 car. Not being able to afford an original, I opted for the next, closest thing. I respect all the other builders, for each has a specific goal in mind, with a specific price to match. Especially, I cannot argue with the craftsmanship of an aluminum Kirkham (my second choice when planning my new car). At the end, having a Shelby Cobra, officially stamped as a Shelby Cobra was worth every penny to me. And, in all honesty, every single enthusiast that has met my car does not fail to comment the same: that my car is the nicest, most straight, and realistic of all the replicas they have seen. I am not referring to the particular livery/accessories of my car (my car does NOT look like an original, and that is by choice), but to the build quality and body lines.

So, if the budget is there, I would go for CSX4000-9000. If I had to do it all over again, however, I think I would have gone with a full comp spec 289 FIA car, with a Le Mans type hard top Party on  It is still in my sights, but I would have to sell my current car, and I don't think i am ready for that, just yet...

Enjoy, and drive safely!

smgco
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 08:11:15 AM »

Having owned a CSX 4000 in the past I found it to be a fun car; as close to an original as you can get. 

Just be very careful who you choose as the selling dealer/installer.

Shelby Vegas was no help when I had warranty issues and I suspect that is still the case.

Like anything, something is only worth what someone else will pay you for it.

New CSX rollers continue to increase in price and I've found resale value to be a moving target.
[/quote

Chris really got to the bottom line " be very careful who you choose as the dealer/builder ". 

stephen_becker

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »

I am a factory-authorized Shelby american Dealership and would be happy to answer any and all questions you may have

Stephen Becker
(770) 900 5532
www.planetshelbycobra.com

Chug a Lug

06 GT

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 09:21:00 PM »

Go with the Superformance save the extra dollars to pay the tickets and buy track time, vine tours and weekend bed & breakfast trips. If I was buying a replica - which they all are today I'd be stepping up for one of Pete Brock's Coupes. Beautiful car and you won't see 112 other ones at a CS car show.

rayhumbel

Cobraray Cobraray
Email
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »

I guess you could relate it to would you be satisfied with a man made diamond from Walmart or would you rather have a real one with an appraisal and papers. They almost look the same. I have had 3 replicas and my son said I shrunk whenever someone asked if it was real or a kit car. Over 7 years ago I bought a CSX and I am proud when asked if it is real to say it is a authentic Shelby Cobra, not the original but an authentic. They will hold their value even appreciate.

shelrace

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 12:35:08 AM »

The biggest question is if you do go the CSX route would you be purchasing the alloy body or the glass body?
Are you going with a 427 body type or a 289 body type, there have been far more 427s built.
If you are going the 427 route the difference between the CSX and the Superformance are much more obvious, the CSX car will be much closer to original in either alloy or glass, only the CSX is available in the alloy body.
The 289 based cars in either the CSX configuration or the Superformance are nearly the same in the glass variants, only the CSX is available in the alloy body.
If you are interested in the vehicle maintaining any kind of resale value the alloy cars will always provide you wth a better resale price, the way the car is built out will also contribute to the resale price. As stated by a poster above the price will always be dictated by what someone will pay but I have found that the closer the build is to he original the better the resale number and the greater number of potential buyers.
I have purposely not included the Kirkham cars in this discussion because they were not addressed by the OP, only the Superformance and CSX cars were mentioned.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 12:37:16 AM by shelrace » Logged
cobramike
SAAC Member

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »

Harv, I'll share my opinion as the owner of both a 4000 Series and a 7000 Series. If you can afford the CSX buy it over the Superformance. While the Superformance is a great quality car It doesn't have the Shelby VIN, and it doesn't have the same cache as the CSX. I bought my 4000 series as a "used car" with 250 miles from Dave Furray (the original owner) in 2010. The economy was still depressed at that time, but I feel the car has appreciated by at least 50% since I bought it. Shelby American consistently raises prices on their rolling chassis and that continues to increase the values of the used ones. When I was finalizing my decision on the 289 FIA car I considered bucking up for the aluminum body, but at $60,000 it was a considerable increase in the total price. I went for the fiberglass body. My cost basis in the 7000 Series car is substantially higher than the 4000 series since I am buying it new, but I don't feel it will depreciate over the short term (2-5 years) and it will appreciate over longer periods. (When I compare that to the 2015 Z06 w/Z07 package sitting next to it in the garage, I know the Z06 will depreciate from day one and I will never recoup my investment).
       I would also like to comment on the driving/ownership experience with these cars. I have owned dozens of muscle cars and performance cars over the years including a 66 GT350, a 70 GT500, a 69 428SCJ Mach 1, and a 70 Boss 302. The 427 Cobra is without a doubt the most fun vehicle I have owned. It's amazing the attention it gets whenever I take it for a spin, people stop and stare and give me thumbs up constantly. Every time when I come in from the garage after a drive my wife asks me the same question " Well, how was your drive?". I give her that same answer every time, "It was awesome"! Feel free to send me a PM if you would like more info. I have Jim Cowles finishing my 289 FIA car, I chose him after seeing the blog on his website on the other 289 FIA he did replicating CSX2323. He and his team do a great job. Mike McGinley

shelrace

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »

If the CSX is within your budget by all means that should be at the top of your list, if you can swing an alloy version it would be that much better as far as potential resale of value. There is one reason to purchase any of the cars you are thinking about buying, because you want to enjoy it.
When I bought (2002) my alloy 7000 Series it was because I wanted to get as close to the original driving experience as I could to driving the real mecoy. When I ordered my Cobra from SAI I ordered in what they described at the time as a "component package", everything was in boxes and it had just enough suspension under it to roll it onto a trailer. My vision was to build the car with as many original parts as I could find, fabricate or reproduce from an original as an example. In doing this I have become a supplier of the reproduction pieces I had to reproduce to complete the project. I have also had the privilege to work on several original street 260/289 and 427 Cobras and an original 289 FIA team Cobra CSX2323 when it belonged to a friend of mine. Working on the street Cobras was a lot of fun but 2323 was very special considering the Gurney connection. I am also a friend of the crew chief of 2323 until its crash at the 1964 Nuremberg races and his forced induction (drafted) into the US armed forces. In the process of building my Cobra I decided to leave my corporate job and start a small restoration business where we also reproduce parts that have not been available for decades to exacting standards for mostly 260/289 Cobras both street and competition versions.
I've rambled enough, but what you like and buy it because you think you will enjoy it not because of what you think it will be worth someday.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!