The Official SAAC Forum
September 24, 2017, 09:28:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What oil to use and should I use an oil treatment?  (Read 1841 times)
Corey.Bowcutt
SAAC Member

Email
« on: May 02, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »

Folks, I have owned my 68 GT350 for almost a year and a half now and I figure it is due for an oil change.  Any suggestions on what oil and viscosity I should use?  Also is it advisable or not to use an oil additive such as Slick 50?

robert campbell

Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

Oil selection is such a personal decision that I almost hesitate to recommend. I bet there are posts in this site that beat this to death.  Back in the day I would use Castrol 20/50 in my sunny Sunday drivers.  It would still be a good choice.  I am not a big fan of slick 50 or other such additives.  I think their claims are more in the laboratory than in true use, but their claims will dispute that.

The one thing you need to do is add zinc phosphate that is quickly disappearing from most oils. This additive to oils in the past was a cushioning agent for flat tappet cams such as you have in your car.  You can now add it with an additive such as this:

http://zddplus.com/

This additive is critical to your old school engine.  It is available at most parts store.  I would say that changing oil often is more important than the oil you use.  Can't wait to see the input you get on this question.

Rob

6S1640

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 05:33:51 PM »

I use Valvoline Racing 20W50 motor oil.  It has the ZDDP for flat tappet cams.  It does have fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils, but I only put a 1000 miles on an oil change.  So that should not be an issue.  It does contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines.

Edelbrock also sell ZDDP oils and additives.  A trusted name in the hobby.

Good luck

Cory

CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 05:38:50 PM »

I use the cheapest, highest ZDDP oil available, diesel engine oil certs like Rotella CJ-4 or the new CK-4 rating.

FL SAAC TONY

follow us on www.seflsaac.com

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 06:14:19 PM »

Hi Corey,

we have been using mobil 1 for many, many years.

we change the oil and filter once per year, does not matter if we ran it 500 or 5,000 miles it does not matter to us.

just recently mobil came out advertising their oils as the once per year oil change, nice.

this is what sold us back in the day:

when mobil 1 came into the market in the 70s they tested several florida highway patrol cars. these cars had 0 miles and ran over 100,000 miles on their odometers.

if you take into account the 100,000 miles accounted on a fhp vehicle,  its actually more than that.

why, because most trooper vehicles are always running even when they are stopped.

during the travel to 100,000 miles the oil was never changed.

if memory serves me well, i believe that at every 5,000 mile they would come in and the oil filter was changed and the oil topped off.

during regular maintenance checks if needed oil, antifreeze was added and repairs were made.

at or about 100,000 miles these vehicles were pulled back in and their 440 motors pulled apart for inspection.

almost zero wear was found on the bearings, crank, pistons, cam, lifters, or any of the rotating parts.

this sold us on mobil 1

mobil 1 pricey then and pricey today, but if you do a cost analysis, once a year versus two or three times with the competitors oil, plus filters and time savings, its a bargain.

has worked for us running big and small blocks and we dont drive them like sunady school teachers.

hope this helps 

Folks, I have owned my 68 GT350 for almost a year and a half now and I figure it is due for an oil change.  Any suggestions on what oil and viscosity I should use?  Also is it advisable or not to use an oil additive such as Slick 50?

"Like" our FACEBOOK page at SEFLSAAC Region
greekz

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »

I use Valvoline Racing 20W50 motor oil.  It has the ZDDP for flat tappet cams.  It does have fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils, but I only put a 1000 miles on an oil change.  So that should not be an issue.  It does contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines.

Edelbrock also sell ZDDP oils and additives.  A trusted name in the hobby.

Good luck

Cory

I have used Valvoline Racing Oil as well for over 25 years in both Shelbys with no problems.  I change oil and filter once a year no matter how many miles have been driven.

Greek

6S1134 - '67 GT-350 #2339
iamcanadian

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »

I normally use Brad Penn 15W40 for the high ZDDP content.

65 GT350
Rodster-500

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »

Amazing how a simple oil change isn't simple anymore.  Sad

Awhile back I asked myself the same question and did a lot of research.  Talked to some oil company tech folks and one common issue with additives is you never really know what you are getting or how much to use.

Talked to the tech folks at Shell (1 800 best oil ) and they said the Rotella diesel oil has 1200 ppm zinc and is a suitable for our cars.

Shell Rotella diesel oil is what I've been using.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

I use the cheapest, highest ZDDP oil available, diesel engine oil certs like Rotella CJ-4 or the new CK-4 rating.

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
zray

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 07:11:20 PM »

"......  at or about 100,000 miles these vehicles were pulled back in and their 440 motors pulled apart for inspection.

almost zero wear was found on the bearings, crank, pistons, cam, lifters, or any of the rotating parts.

this sold us on mobil 1...."  

That mirrors my experience with Mobil1 15w-50 almost exactly.

I've been using that oil for about 20 years now, on numerous classic cars that I've either owned, or were responsible for their maintenance, including several early GT350's, 289 HiPo's,  Big block 352, 390, and 428's, Triumph TR-4's & TR-3's, and TR-6's, Jaguar e type's, MGA's, & Jensen Healey's.

Most remarkedly, on the cars that received the most exercise including numerous high rpm endurance runs of over 100 miles at a time, there was no measurable wear on all the bearings and the cylinder walls many tens of thousands of miles later.  There may be more technical ways to determine how effective an oil can be, but if there is no measurable wear after nearly a 100,000 miles on cars that are worked darn hard, then I can't be persuaded to try a different oil that has "better" pedigree.  

Z

PS. the Mobil 1 15w-50 has 1300 ppm zinc and 1200 ppm phosphorus.  Plenty for any flat tappet vintage engine.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:13:16 PM by zray » Logged
67-1690

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »

I only use Valvoline Racing VR1 20w50.

'67 GT-350 #1690
'66 Coupe, 289, my first car....still have it.
ERA 289 FIA-USRRC Replica Cobra
94Cobra

Email
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »

If you have a flat tappet cam, only the 15W-50 viscosity Mobil 1 has enough zinc and phosphorous for adequate protection.  The other viscosity mobil 1 oils do not.  

Adding zddp plus or other products to the oil is not as effective as buying the oil with the proper amounts of zinc and phosphorous already added by the oil manufacturer during the blending process.    

Hi Corey,

we have been using mobil 1 for many, many years.

we change the oil and filter once per year, does not matter if we ran it 500 or 5,000 miles it does not matter to us.

just recently mobil came out advertising their oils as the once per year oil change, nice.

this is what sold us back in the day:

when mobil 1 came into the market in the 70s they tested several florida highway patrol cars. these cars had 0 miles and ran over 100,000 miles on their odometers.

if you take into account the 100,000 miles accounted on a fhp vehicle,  its actually more than that.

why, because most trooper vehicles are always running even when they are stopped.

during the travel to 100,000 miles the oil was never changed.

if memory serves me well, i believe that at every 5,000 mile they would come in and the oil filter was changed and the oil topped off.

during regular maintenance checks if needed oil, antifreeze was added and repairs were made.

at or about 100,000 miles these vehicles were pulled back in and their 440 motors pulled apart for inspection.

this sold us on mobil 1

mobil 1 pricey then and pricey today, but if you do a cost analysis, once a year versus two or three times with the competitors oil, plus filters and time savings, its a bargain.

has worked for us running big and small blocks and we dont drive them like sunady school teachers.

hope this helps 

Rodster-500

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »

Lots of good info and real world experience.  Chug a Lug

If you have a flat tappet cam, only the 15W-50 viscosity Mobil 1 has enough zinc and phosphorous for adequate protection.  The other viscosity mobil 1 oils do not.  

Adding zddp plus or other products to the oil is not as effective as buying the oil with the proper amounts of zinc and phosphorous already added by the oil manufacturer during the blending process.    

Important little detail.  Wink

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
zray

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:14:03 PM »

^^^^^^^^

The only other Mobil oil I'd use without an additive is the Mobil 1 0w-40  (1100/1000 ppm) I tried it one winter to see it there was any oil pressure , oil temperature  differences from  my usual Mobil 1 15w-50.  There wasn't, so I went back to the 15w-50 at the next oil change.  Aside from the Mobil 1 racing oils, the Mobil 1 4T motorcycle oil has plenty  of zddp. But it's pricier.

If one does use an oil that has less  zddp than 1000, I'd recommend the cam shield product. It comes with a formula that instructs you exactly how much to add to arrive at a given level of zddp. Seems more sensible than just pouring in a whole bottle of a one size fits all product.

http://www.cam-shield.com

Z

rhjanes

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:22 PM »

I've used either the Rotella 15W40 (I own a diesel anyway, with 194000 on it, all with Rotella) OR NAPA 10W40 (which is Valvoline).  Add the ZDDP to the 10W40. 
one thought on the Rotella.  Diesel oils have a lot more detergents in them also.  For many of us, that might be good as the cars sit. 

Pirating Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
"For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away"  Bryan Adams....
BLOG
robert campbell

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »

Whew!!  I knew this would bring lots of comments!!  I like Royal Purple for synthetics!  But I also use roller cams.  Have fun looking threw all these opinions!

Rob

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!