The Official SAAC Forum
November 18, 2017, 02:38:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run -ON  (Read 1386 times)
TOBKOB
SAAC Member

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »

What they did in 1971 for these two engines was to install an electric solenoid that controlled the curb idle RPM.  It was engaged when the key was in the run position and "bumped" up against a flat angled piece on the throttle plate linkage to control the curb idle speed.  When the key was turned off to shut the engine off it retracted and let the primary throttle plate or butterflies to COMPLETELY close.  This basically killed the engine with no throttle opening and eliminated "run on" when properly adjusted.  These engines were set so lean coupled with high compression and fairly aggressive cam shafts that required idle RPM's that would result in run on conditions when shut off when hot.

Thanks for expanding my post. I would add that they were also installed on the non Boss and non CJ engines.

TOB

robert campbell

Email
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »

And the 1971 429 CJ, not the 429 SCJ actually had a Rochester Quadrajet on it from the factory.  Maybe the only Ford engine to ever run a Rochester carb!  I was told it had something to do with emission control levels?

Rob

shelby001

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2017, 05:18:58 AM »

Thanks for all your suggestions, will check idle speed , timing & keep you posted as to what the results are.

shelby001

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »

Well as I posted re - run  & finally putting the car in storage last year, I finally got some time to get it out storage & solve the problem. So I thought I would drain the gas & put in fresh 94 , fire it up & see if anything changed well it did I couldn`t even keep it running so I pulled the carb as it had to be the problem. Turns out everything looked good but the primary block gasket had a split in it  I went through it  blew all  the passage out put new gaskets in ,& put it back together. I cranked it over & she fired right up & ran great , so i take it the gasket was the problem . No more run on either.
 THANKS to all those that had suggestion to my problem.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:34:16 PM by shelby001 » Logged
robert campbell

Email
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 03:32:29 PM »

Nothing like a small victory in the auto world!!  Makes the world seem ok again!!

Rob

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »

4 Realz

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
shelby001

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 05:12:13 PM »

Nothing like a small victory in the auto world!!  Makes the world seem ok again!!

Rob
Thats for sure after changing plugs, new wires & carb rebuild & it ran worse than when I started , all because of a bad gasket which was brand new, go figure.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!