The Official SAAC Forum
June 25, 2017, 01:52:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inspection of 1968 GT350 Convertibles in Las Vegas  (Read 944 times)
nstjames

« on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:45 PM »

Hi,
   I recently joined the forum because my friend is interested in buying two 1968 GT350 convertibles in Las Vegas; besides learning what I can about the cars in so little time, I was also hoping to find someone who can authenticate the cars for us.
   The cars are on consignment and both are owned by the same owner. Both cars look to be legit and are in very good condition; the other car being a previous MCA Concours Gold winner in 2009.
    Please message or email me directly at ninosantiago@yahoo.com if you, or if you know someone, who can assist.
    Thank you in advance.

Cheers,
Nino           

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:00:30 PM »

These (or one) wouldn't be ones sitting in a lobby in Las Vegas would they?

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
nstjames

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »

Hi Jeff,
    Yes, I believe they are; they're on consignment to The Auto Collections. It sounds like you are familiar with the cars.
Here is the link to the red Concours Gold winning car:

http://www.autocollections.com/index.cfm?id=1452&action=details&tab=inventory&cartable=&sortorder=car,year&sr=106

Thanks.

Cheers,
Nino   

KR Convertible
Paul Orr
SAAC Member

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:23 AM »

Nino,

What does your friend have planned for the car?  Is it going to be driven or just for display (trailer queen)?  If he plans on driving it, be prepared to spend time and money on going through everything.  According to the registry, it has only had a few miles put on it since being restored in 2009.  My car has a similar story, and I am still working out bugs a year later.  I have had to address flat spotted tires, carb and fuel system problems, cooling problems, power steering problems, brake booster, and the rear main seal is now leaking.  My point is, many cars done to concours standards never have drivability issues addressed and sitting for years causes other problems.

The price is pretty steep for a GT350, so you want everything to be checked for correctness.  For that price it should be a numbers matching drivetrain.  The VIN is stamped on the block behind the intake manifold.  That can be faked, so also look at casting date codes as a second way to be sure.  Sadly, I found out the hard way.

I can see a few things that are not correct, but most are easily corrected.  I am no expert, so there may be others.  The two biggest (most costly) things I see are the wheels should be steel with hubcaps and it is missing the smog equipment.  Almost all 68 Shelbys came with hubcaps and though the 10 spokes are an attractive addition, if you wanted to back to hubcaps it would cost around $4000+ just for wheels and restored hubcaps.  Hopefully, the car comes with a set.  All 68 350s with factory 4 speed had the smog set-up.  That could cost another $2000 if it isn't included with the car.  I would think if the smog system was included, it would be on the car since it is not a driver.

You should definitely have someone qualified inspect the car.  You can learn a lot about 68 Shelbys here:  http://www.thecoralsnake.com

Good luck,
Paul   

1957 Thunderbird F code
1959 Cadillac 62 Series convertible
1966 Mustang GT convertible
1968 GT500 convertible #0181
2016 Ford "Exploder"
2016 F450 King Ranch
stillakid54

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »

If I could support Paul's comments. That seems top dollar for that car. If I really (!) wanted it I would try and have one of the real authorities on 68's give a critical assessment of its strengths and weaknesses.

68-2766 since 1990
69-2524 since 1992
TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 04:27:29 AM »

Not sure where and who it was judged by but I see enough from couple pictures to support it shouldn't be a gold car

RIP OTIS  2015
nstjames

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 01:17:05 PM »

Hi Paul,
   Good question; Shelbys were meant to be driven, but I'm guessing that the red car will remain a trailer queen, while the blue one might be reconditioned as a weekend driver. I also have a couple of cars that I don't get to drive much, and they both have leaking rear main seals.   
   It is the consensus that these cars are priced on the high side; that might partially explain why the cars remain unsold. With all that is reproduced and can be faked, I knew that I was going to need the assistance of marque experts; in comparison, buying an F40 was simpler. But the good thing about these GT350s is that their owner history is known, both having the same current owner.
   Coincidentally, Pete's website is where I started my crash course on '68 Shelbys; he also kindly shared his initial impressions of the cars from the pictures available online. He also mentioned the wheels; thank you for letting me know how costly an original set of rims and hub caps are, I will have to check if they come with the cars. I am a bit less concerned about the missing smog equipment, but will also check with owner.
   Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and expertise, I know I've come to the right place.

Cheers,
Nino     

nstjames

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »

If I am not mistaken, the red car was awarded Concours Gold at the 2009 MCA; attached is a page from the judging sheet.

* 2009 Judging Sheet.jpg (95.92 KB, 599x817 - viewed 70 times.)
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »

If I am not mistaken, the red car was awarded Concours Gold at the 2009 MCA; attached is a page from the judging sheet.

Hi Paul,
   Good question; Shelbys were meant to be driven, but I'm guessing that the red car will remain a trailer queen,....................

Car wasn't shown as a "Trailer Queen" but in Concours Driven (believe that was what the class GS was) which was a lessor standard.
Would have been a Silver award or less in Concours Trailered back in 2009 based on the scoring.  Of course only based on the cover sheet

No way of telling how it would fare today in 2017 without seeing the car in person.

BTW I was the Assistant Head Judge responsible for the classic Shelby's for MCA during that period (decade or so).  Just for information and putting things in context for you  Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:41:48 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 05:36:06 PM »

Car wasn't shown as a "Trailer Queen" but in Concours Driven (believe that that was what the class GS was) which was a lessor standard.

Ah, that explains it.

nstjames

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »

Hi Jeff,
    Thank you for your insight; you might recall this red GT350 as it was entered in the MCA in 2007, 2008, and 2009. It's also good to know that it didn't spend most of its' life as a trailer queen and actually enjoyed being driven; attached is a picture of it being exercised at the Indianapolis Raceway Park.
     I would be curious to know how well it would do in a show today, but what is more important to me right now is how well it drives. Although it does sound like both cars will need a little refreshing before they can be driven spiritedly.
     Take it easy. 

Cheers,
Nino     

* GT350 on Track.jpg (91.99 KB, 600x874 - viewed 44 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!