The Official SAAC Forum
November 18, 2017, 10:04:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: exhaust collector and gas tank .  (Read 726 times)
6TEE6k

Email
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »

Does anybody have a pic of how close the exhaust collector is to the back side of the gas tank . And what type of clamps went from the transverse muffler pipe to the collector pipe on a 1970 GT 350 . My collector is very close to the back side of the tank is this correct . about 1/2 inch . Also I my have many questions on wiring routing trying to get this Shelby back to correct as possible  . Has a very nice restoration 10 years ago but mickey took over at 90 % completion stage   . new to forum , New to me Shelby . Thank you

Shelbypat

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:25:19 PM »

Welcome. About electrical routine many guys can help here so shoot your questions...

Patrick Canada

About exhaust gap, pics would help. Note that basically not really mush room to play... Scott fuller website would help for any kind of exhaust bracket and any other related parts.  http://www.scottfullerreproductions.com/page/page/4594567.htm

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 04:34:49 PM by shelbypat » Logged

Patrick
Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:21:58 PM »

Does anybody have a pic of how close the exhaust collector is to the back side of the gas tank . And what type of clamps went from the transverse muffler pipe to the collector pipe on a 1970 GT 350 . My collector is very close to the back side of the tank is this correct . about 1/2 inch . Also I my have many questions on wiring routing trying to get this Shelby back to correct as possible  . Has a very nice restoration 10 years ago but mickey took over at 90 % completion stage   . new to forum , New to me Shelby . Thank you
About 1/2 inch at the top and a 1inch at the bottom of the collector in relation to the gas tank is normal. Yes it heats up the tank. So does the transverse on the front side of the tank . That transverse  distance is only about a inch at the top and 1 1/4 at the bottom . On the GT500's it effected things enough to cause a few fires from the heated gas tank fumes coming out of the vented gas cap to be ignited by sparks from exhaust back fire. The recall fix short answer calls for a non vented cap and a adding a vent tube to the gas filler neck and routing the tube through the trunk to frame rail . That should have been incorporated into the GT350's also IMO. The 69/70 exhaust port is very cool looking IMO but a very poor engineered design given what it does IMO.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:24:14 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Bob Gaines

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »

FYI the Mustang Assemblyline manual set is something you should have . The chassis manual (part of the set) for instance shows a illustration of the correct dimensions of the exhaust components in relation to critical areas ,clamp and bolt orientation ,fastener finish's and much much more. These assemblyline Manuals are not to be confused with the 69 Shop manual set which is also a mandatory must have too. They don't have anything about Shelby specific items but extremly helpful all the same.   Both sets can be purchased from Virginia Mustang or NPD.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
6TEE6k

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »

Thanks for the information it looks like that's pretty much what I have for the spaces between the tank and exhaust . Just seemed close to the gas tank . I don't want any  fireworks that were not intended . I sent for the manuals today  . Thanks for all the input.  Now onto the wiring mess . Should prove to be interesting .Geeeez .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!