The Official SAAC Forum
July 20, 2017, 09:35:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Photos from Mustang Club of Tidewater's 50th Anniversary Show  (Read 4339 times)
CSX4781

Email
« on: April 15, 2017, 05:19:13 PM »

Photos from today's Mustang Club of Tidewater 50th anniversary show:

https://goo.gl/photos/3KhR13bKsFMvswMh7

The Southeastern VA Shelby American Automobile Club got the club participation award, as we had the largest group (11 cars) in attendance. We met in the parking lot at Indian River Middle School (beside the Masonic Lodge) and drove in at Cavalier Ford as a group, so we got to park together.

We had 4 Shelbys (3- 66s and a 68), 2 66 GT Fastbacks (one 271 HiPerf), 2 69 Mach 1s, a 68 Fastback.a 65 R-Model replica and a 69 Fairlane Cobra. Not a bad turnout for a day that initially was threatening rain. We also had a number of our members show up without their cars, but we were glad to see them. There was also a MCT member that showed up with an original K 66 Fastback with automatic trans- car was modified but real.

Dave

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:33:54 PM by CSX4781 » Logged
KR-3562
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 06:44:10 PM »

Thanks for the photos. Great idea to meet away from the show and come in together.

Rodster-500

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 06:54:44 PM »

Lots of nice cars and looks like a good show.  Thanks for sharing!  Chug a Lug

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
corbins

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 04:31:01 PM »

Dave, I see my green 68 vert twin was there. Good pics !

CSX4781

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 05:00:34 PM »

Steve,
 Thanks. The convertible is Joyce Sanders car. She's had it since 1975. Probably the most raced Shelby conv. out there. Lots of autocrosses and time trials, also a bunch of SAAC open track event, with Joyce and her son driving.

Dave

KR-3562
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 02:30:45 PM »

Could this be the same green convertible being hung-out autocrossing? I took this around 1980 or so at a Tidewater event.
Sorry for the focus, I had the zoom cranked up with nothing to stabilize the shot.

Ted

* Shelby Conv - Green 19800001.jpg (44.78 KB, 800x397 - viewed 93 times.)
CSX4781

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »

Ted,
   Yep, that's it. Either Joyce or Calvin, both of them could drive that car sideways. Having a spool in it helps. I have a harder time driving my Shelby like that now (was easier with 4.30 gears), but that's how you get one around turns in an autocross. Was a lot of fun. My 67 SCCA Mustang hardtop takes care of that for me now.

Lew Latham, Bruce Turlington and Lee Mathias were all really good at it too. Lew may have been the best sideways driver of them all- I remember him getting the rear end out and keeping it in a 2nd gear drift at what sounded like 6000+ RPM (in SFM5S225)- sounded great. Drifters nowadays think they invented that game, but they had nothing on those guys.

Dave

corbins

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »

Steve,
 Thanks. The convertible is Joyce Sanders car. She's had it since 1975. Probably the most raced Shelby conv. out there. Lots of autocrosses and time trials, also a bunch of SAAC open track event, with Joyce and her son driving.

Dave

They must know a really good front end guy Smiley  Wished I did.... I assume its a 4sp car? A/C ?

CSX4781

Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 07:03:03 PM »

Steve,
  No A/C. It's a 4 speed, pretty strong motor with solid lifters. No power steering. Not sure about who did the front end alignment (and it's probably been decades, was probably Calvin doing a string alignment in their driveway), but it has cut springs and a lot of negative camber. Rode in it with Joyce driving at SAAC-16 in Charlotte back in 1991. Nice stable car at about 135 on the back straight, at least as good as my car was there.

Dave

Calvin Sanders

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:53 PM »

Could this be the same green convertible being hung-out autocrossing? I took this around 1980 or so at a Tidewater event.
Sorry for the focus, I had the zoom cranked up with nothing to stabilize the shot.

Ted

Yeah, that is our car. I am pretty sure it is Mom running it. I used a Simpson helmet and she always used a Bell. I can't place the event location from what I can see in the background. That picture was before we replaced the top and also before the creation of the BFG R-compound DOT race tires that everyone started using around 1980 or so.

We autocrossed the car up until about 2010 or so. We ran SAAC open track events all the way back to SAAC-7 at Pocono and a late as SAAC-36. It was autocrossed from the first weekend we bought it in '73 or '74. It became the first car I painted myself in 1980, while I was a broke college student. Still has that paint job on the car, minus some rock chips from the sticky race tries and blisters above the front wheel arches from the compression of the banking of the track at Charlotte pushing the tires up into the inside of the fenders. For many years we ran with the Comp group at SAAC Open Tracks, and the car held its own against most of the Vintage race cars at the time. I assure you very few have ever passed that car at a SAAC open track.

It is a no A/C, 4 speed with a 289 HiPo. The original 302 gave up at an SCCA Solo II Divisional at Suffolk Raceway. We always had problems with the durability of the 31 spline traction locks in the diff. After several failing we decided to give the spool a try and have never looked back. It works just fine for us.

The car is a family member. My daughter Shelby has a proper appreciation for it, so we know it will be taken care of for a long time. So if you see it at a show or convention, just because it looks a little rough around the edges, don't think you have found some sort of bargain basement opportunity.

This is a more recent autocross picture, and a picture from a SAAC Open Track at VIR (SAAC 36 maybe?).

* joyceshelby_bg.jpg (40.61 KB, 640x492 - viewed 57 times.)

* shelby_pro_4.jpg (33.13 KB, 640x409 - viewed 73 times.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:46:58 PM by Calvin Sanders » Logged

Calvin
Calvin Sanders

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »

Oh, and the really good front end guy is me. I had set it up over the years through trial and error until we got it the way we wanted. It has lots of negative camber, and it does not go down the race track at 100+ with the nose up in the air like most 68's (or other years for that matter). The parts are relatively stock, but the car performs great. It always has, and it sits in a garage with enough first place trophies lining the walls to make any car jealous.

* trophies1.jpg (73.77 KB, 640x430 - viewed 76 times.)

Calvin
corbins

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

Sounds like a fun car. And I believe I did see it come in on a trailer at SAAC 36 at VIR...and actually s/w the nice woman with it .

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!