The Official SAAC Forum
September 21, 2017, 02:29:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC Vehicle Tax Assessment  (Read 1836 times)
caspian65

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 06:29:00 AM »

When I registered my '68, NC taxed it based on the value of a 1968 Mustang!

The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »

For your sake, I hope I'm not right but, if you were charged $925.75 use tax for the "privilege" of moving to NC, which is 3% of what they say is the value, then they valued your car at $30,858.33.  If they explain it to you that way, don't protest too much or they might do some research and charge you more!  Keep in mind, any such tax would be deductible on state and federal returns in the year that it was paid.

Almost triple that figure......  As soon as I get my 2017 decal, I can take the current tag to DMV to change to an antique tag, which I am sure will cost me more $$$, and then I can start the appeal process with the tax collector as I need the antique tag number for the paperwork.  Fun and games.....   Sad

rockhouse66

Email
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 04:45:23 AM »

I think the way this works is you will get a refund for the portion of the time left on your registration AFTER you obtain the antique tag.  So if it has been 6 months, you will get half of your $900 back.  Just to let you know what I think you should expect from your appeal.  Actually, in my case, they just refunded the balance when I presented the tax office with the antique tag paperwork.

If you are appealing something older (like prior year or years), in a formal way, you have to present a case that your car isn't worth the amount they assessed.  For example, if it were a basket case non-runner you could present photos and they would reduce the assessed value.

Jim
The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »

I think the way this works is you will get a refund for the portion of the time left on your registration AFTER you obtain the antique tag.  So if it has been 6 months, you will get half of your $900 back.  Just to let you know what I think you should expect from your appeal.  Actually, in my case, they just refunded the balance when I presented the tax office with the antique tag paperwork.

If you are appealing something older (like prior year or years), in a formal way, you have to present a case that your car isn't worth the amount they assessed.  For example, if it were a basket case non-runner you could present photos and they would reduce the assessed value.

I'll get my antique tag Monday and go right to the tax collector office with my paperwork/tag.  I paid the tax 3 days ago, so hopefully I will get the majority of that $$$ refunded.  The information the rep from the tax office sent me as to what is required of me, is pretty straight forward and hopefully this will not be painful, but every single thing I've gone thru with DMV/Tax Office the past 4-5 months has sucked, so my expectations are low.....

The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 12:12:46 PM »

The ordeal is over. I hope..... 45 minutes at DMV, my 7th visit @ 3 DMV locations to do titling, inspections, registrations, antique tag applicaiton.  45 minutes, $10, antique tag ordered.  With the tag number, visited the Meck. Tax Collector, super nice and efficient people, refund for $889 coming back my way.  Just noting for others who might not know, every 3 years you have to re-file the Antique Auto Value Exclusion Application to maintain the correct tax valuation.  I have never dealt with such BS, most of it a mystery, and thanks to those who helped along the way.   Ale

SAAC Member

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:35 PM »

Just wait until a politician realizes only "rich" guys are benefitting from the antique tag rates.   

Oregon just dodged that bullet. For now.

NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »

"Just noting for others who might not know, every 3 years you have to re-file the Antique Auto Value Exclusion Application to maintain the correct tax valuation."

That may well be a requirement for your county but the state regulations make no mention of it.

105-330.9.  Antique automobiles.

(a)        Definition. - For the purpose of this section, the term "antique automobile" means a motor vehicle that meets all of the following conditions:

(1)        It is registered with the Division of Motor Vehicles and has an historic vehicle special license plate under G.S. 20-79.4.

(2)        It is maintained primarily for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other public interest functions.

(3)        It is used only occasionally for other purposes.

(4)        It is owned by an individual.

(5)        It is used by the owner for a purpose other than the production of income and is not used in connection with a business.

(b)        Classification. - Antique automobiles are designated a special class of property under Article V, Sec. 2(2) of the North Carolina Constitution and must be assessed for taxation in accordance with this section. An antique automobile must be assessed at the lower of its true value or five hundred dollars ($500.00).  (1995, c 512, s 2; 2009-445, s. 24(a); 2013-414, s. 70(b).)

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!