The Official SAAC Forum
November 17, 2017, 11:34:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC Vehicle Tax Assessment  (Read 1980 times)
The Commish
SAAC Member

« on: April 11, 2017, 11:53:57 AM »

I think I really have gotten screwed by Arrowood DMV office in CLT when I moved into NC and brought my '67 last year.  I told the clerk I wanted antique tags for it, she said um hmm, no problem, did my paperwork and handed me a tag and registration.  Of course, I found out a month later that I needed to go thru the title process and recall back to a past thread from this past Fall about what a nightmare it was to get a title for my car.  Now, I get my tax notice on the car for renewal this week for a staggering amount as Meck County has taken it upon themselves to appraise my car and then tax me on that amount.  My title says "1967 Ford".  I just went to the tag office and they wouldn't even talk to me, saying that I had to go thru the appeal process, of course I find on the tax collector web page, I have to pay this ridiculous amount which may or may not be refunded on appeal.  I am guessing that I did not get registered as an antique and I see multiple trips to DMV in my future.  I have never paid more than $30-40 in 22 years of ownership in two other states.  All things given, moving to this terrible state was not a good idea when it comes to DMV and the amount of BS and time I have already, and will continue to waste with this county's bureaucracy. If anyone would be so kind to share what they pay annually for their old car in NC only, I'd appreciate it, please PM me or drop me a note, gt350wab@bellsouth.net.    Angry

NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:20:05 PM »

Did the girl at the DMV actually let you apply for NC Antique Plates and gave you regular plates without a NC title? If so, she should be fired!  When you went to the DMV the first time, you should have applied for a NC title.  If you did, then you would have paid NC use tax of 3% of their so-called "book value".  If you applied for antique tags, you had to first, temporarily, get a set of regular tags.  Once the antique tags arrive, you turn in the regular tags.  When you receive your combined annual property tax and registration statement, as an antique vehicle, you are assessed on a value of no more than $500.  That amount will vary depending on the tax rate of the municipality and county in which you live.

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

Did the girl at the DMV actually let you apply for NC Antique Plates and gave you regular plates without a NC title? If so, she should be fired!  When you went to the DMV the first time, you should have applied for a NC title.  If you did, then you would have paid NC use tax of 3% of their so-called "book value".  If you applied for antique tags, you had to first, temporarily, get a set of regular tags.  Once the antique tags arrive, you turn in the regular tags.  When you receive your combined annual property tax and registration statement, as an antique vehicle, you are assessed on a value of no more than $500.  That amount will vary depending on the tax rate of the municipality and county in which you live.

I wish she'd done her job just half right, but no, sadly, as you explained this, everything happened just the opposite.  I was told my title would come in the mail, instead, I got the form letter about having to do inspections and then I had all my issues with that, and nothing like you've explained how the antique tags work was even mentioned.  I had to pay the big amount, once I get my decal, I will go back to a different tag office, apply for my antique tags, and then I have to go thru the BS of having to appeal my tax I just paid, hope that I prevail and that I get a refund.  I'm just totally pissed off at this garbage and the people they have providing service, especially in that office.  I've been to two others that seem a little more squared away.   Frustration

mark p

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »

Ouch. Very sorry to hear of all of this b.s.

I will thank my lucky stars that [for this one thing] NJ has an easy set-up for antique tags (one-time fee) and no other tax bologna.

i wish you good luck getting squared away and a refund.

'66 Tiger / '65 Thunderbird
Rodster-500

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »

Bummer. Good luck and I hope everything works out. Just another example of government out of control.

NC sounds as goofy as PA. In order to drive away in your newly purchased 'antique' car, you need to purchase regular plates and pay the fees in addition to having all the paperwork done at a notary. Then in 3 or 4 weeks when the antique plates you paid $75 plus a fee for arrive, you toss (or pay to return?) the regular plates.  Oh yea and technically with regular plates the car should be inspected but cars registered as antique don't need the annual inspection.  Frustration

I'm currently battling Harrisburg and trying to find someone to explain to me how this all makes sense. Seems a simple temporary antique tag would be the answer.

At least we don't pay an annual property tax on our cars but the state likes to collect their 6% each time a car changes owners.  Angry

There is a fine line between genius and insanity
rockhouse66

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »

I think you are still missing a step in the process.  In the County where I live, after you buy your antique plate, you have to visit the tax office.  They will give you a form to complete and will ask you to present a photograph or two of your car at a car show or event.  They then file that paperwork and note your account as being approved for the $500 value limitation noted by others.

The DMV and the Tax Office don't talk to each other.  It is on you to connect these two dots.  And the DMV won't tell you this, because they don't do tax, the Tax Office does.  I suggest a prompt visit to the tax office where you are likely to find a friendly person to help you out, so long as you are polite and calm.

Jim
The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »

I think you are still missing a step in the process.  In the County where I live, after you buy your antique plate, you have to visit the tax office.  They will give you a form to complete and will ask you to present a photograph or two of your car at a car show or event.  They then file that paperwork and note your account as being approved for the $500 value limitation noted by others.

The DMV and the Tax Office don't talk to each other.  It is on you to connect these two dots.  And the DMV won't tell you this, because they don't do tax, the Tax Office does.  I suggest a prompt visit to the tax office where you are likely to find a friendly person to help you out, so long as you are polite and calm.

Therein lies the problem with the DMV and Tax Office not talking to each other.  In Georgia where I moved from, they were the one in the same, and a very easy process.  By antique plate, are you talking about a NC issued antique plate, or are you talking about a plate that matches the year of the car?  In GA, I was issued a GA Historic tag which I carried in the car and displayed a 1967 GA tag, and in FL, my 1967 tag was actually the tag the car was registered. 

KR-3562
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »

Sorry you're having the trouble. I've lived in NC for over 40 years and I have always found the DMV processes to be a bit convoluted. And they change so often. Worst luck I had was actually at the main office in Raleigh. However, we have a small office in Cary that only does title and registration work. It may even be a private contractor to DMV. They have the most helpful and knowledgeable employees I've found.

I went in a few months ago to renew tags on my daughters car. I told the lady I had not received any notice of it being due. She chuckled and said because you didn't renew them last year. I paid some back fees and walked out happy.

Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »

At least we don't pay an annual property tax on our cars but the state likes to collect their 6% each time a car changes owners.  Angry

I paid $34 in personal property tax on the Shelby last year. Anything over 15 years old is pretty much that same flat fee, give or take a dollar or two

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 01:55:33 PM »

"By antique plate, are you talking about a NC issued antique plate....?"  Yes, you get a NC-issued antique vehicle plate.  Once issued, you then have the option of using it or an actual NC plate for the year of manufacture of the vehicle...so long as you carry the NC antique vehicle plate in the car with the registration slip.

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
shelby73

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 07:05:41 PM »

I would be the first to say the N.C. System can be very confusing. It got tough about 10 years ago when the DMV discovered that people were titling reproduction 32 Ford bodies as real ones and other cars such as fake Cobras as real ones. In order to protect the citizens on NC. They decided to start inspecting all out of state classic cars that were to be titled in this state to make sure they were titled as the real thing. If you have a fake they call it a custom car not a Ford and not a Shelby. So part of me is proud they are doing it and then sometimes when they come across a odd case and they are questioning something you know is right they can be a pain in the ass. I will say the states that are the easiest to register cars is usually where most stolen cars show up. Alabama used to be the worst for issuing a title for anything that was fake or anything you needed a title to.

67SHELBYGT500TP

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2017, 05:43:17 AM »

Can't help on the NC title but Georgia just got me for $1400 to title/ register my 67 Shelby! The TAVT tax on a classic car is 1% of the "average" NADA Classic Car Value. No matter of the condition, that's what you will be charged, period. There is an appeal process BUT then you have a 25 year old trying to establish what the "actual" value is to a car they have no clue what it is. My car hasn't run in 8 years, the engine/ trans is out, the interior is partially out, and the paint is "ok". It's NOT a $138K car. This only applies if you want a "title" otherwise it's $50 to register it and tag the car. Funny comments made, "we need the bill of sale" I bought it with a title (Ga doesn't require a title on older cars, bill of sale cars can not receive a title) "but we need the bill of sale" if I had a bill of sale, I couldn't get the title, hence I wouldn't be standing here... "We need you to provide receipts of the amount of work needed to get this car to that price?" I can not provide that because I haven't started the work, I just got it... "Can you provide an estimate from a repair shop as to the amount it's going to cost?", so you want me to provide you with a false claim as I will do the work myself... How about this, I sell the car and if I don't get the moneys you state the cars worth, THE STATE owes me those unpaid moneys... No comment!!

Even if you buy a 67 Mustang coupe for $500 the TAVT tax is about $225 based on the average NADA value of $22,500. If you want a title to your car. Where's the logic??

The Commish
SAAC Member

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 06:17:10 AM »

Can't help on the NC title but Georgia just got me for $1400 to title/ register my 67 Shelby! The TAVT tax on a classic car is 1% of the "average" NADA Classic Car Value. No matter of the condition, that's what you will be charged, period. There is an appeal process BUT then you have a 25 year old trying to establish what the "actual" value is to a car they have no clue what it is. My car hasn't run in 8 years, the engine/ trans is out, the interior is partially out, and the paint is "ok". It's NOT a $138K car. This only applies if you want a "title" otherwise it's $50 to register it and tag the car. Funny comments made, "we need the bill of sale" I bought it with a title (Ga doesn't require a title on older cars, bill of sale cars can not receive a title) "but we need the bill of sale" if I had a bill of sale, I couldn't get the title, hence I wouldn't be standing here... "We need you to provide receipts of the amount of work needed to get this car to that price?" I can not provide that because I haven't started the work, I just got it... "Can you provide an estimate from a repair shop as to the amount it's going to cost?", so you want me to provide you with a false claim as I will do the work myself... How about this, I sell the car and if I don't get the moneys you state the cars worth, THE STATE owes me those unpaid moneys... No comment!!

Even if you buy a 67 Mustang coupe for $500 the TAVT tax is about $225 based on the average NADA value of $22,500. If you want a title to your car. Where's the logic??

As become evident, every county is different.  I moved to NC from Hall County GA and that tax collector's office was fantastic.  If I had any issues, I'd contact the Tax Collector, an elected official, and always received the assistance I needed.

I sent an inquiry to the Meck. tax people yesterday and within about 2 hours I got a response about what I need to do, plus an application for antique tags, something I never knew about, or could not find on their web page.  Now, I have to file that, plus my appeal to get my tax value corrected and get a refund, so hopefully I am on my to correcting this BS.  I'm going to hand carry all of this to the Tax HQ, so I know it's in a human's hands.  What really sucks is that I was required to pay the taxes they charged me before I can start my appeal, a "mere" $925.75. 

NC TRACKRAT

Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 12:35:51 PM »

For your sake, I hope I'm not right but, if you were charged $925.75 use tax for the "privilege" of moving to NC, which is 3% of what they say is the value, then they valued your car at $30,858.33.  If they explain it to you that way, don't protest too much or they might do some research and charge you more!  Keep in mind, any such tax would be deductible on state and federal returns in the year that it was paid.

SFM6S1467
SFM5S071
CorvetteMike (formerly mikeljgt500kr)

In the High Mountains of New Mexico

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2017, 06:56:36 PM »

If they valued it at that, he made out like a bandit......we have 3% excise tax here on car purchases, and my '68 KR was way more than $925.......

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!