Author Topic: Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster  (Read 2305 times)

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster
« on: December 06, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
While I was researching the Shelby Girl poster thread I came across something rather interesting. I didn't want to highjack the thread, so I thought I would start a new one.

I was looking for the Don Prudhomme poster images to verify the "shelby" logo and I crossed another image that was exact to the poster, however it was used by Car Craft. If you look it was taken at the same time, however just a few seconds earlier. In the upper left corner you can read NO.1 SINCE on the banner ad in the car craft image, but a few seconds later the poster image was taken as the red part to the left of the text on the sign appears. It was the same day as you can see the broom in the upper left corner is in the same location.

What I found very interesting was the logo on the blower is different. In the Car Craft image the blower sticker is "CRAGAR" while the logo on the Shelby poster is the CS SHELBY logo.

I just found it very interesting. I am assuming the Cragar sticker was what was run on race day?
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Don Prudhomme Shelby Poster
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 09:53:09 AM »
After further evaluation, I think it's the same image, just cropped tighter. If you look at the smoke on the tires, both images are identical.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • BLACK HAT PERFORMANCE
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 10:10:11 AM »
After further evaluation, I think it's the same image, just cropped tighter. If you look at the smoke on the tires, both images are identical.

I was just about to post that it was the same Photo just one was cropped.

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:17:43 AM »
The other interesting thing is the blower opening is a different shape and size. I wonder if they dropped in another blower image from another image that had the decal on it already.
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 10:25:35 AM »
You have a good eye!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
My guess would be the picture on the right is the vintage old yellowed original version, and the left one is a photo shopped version from car craft at a later date removing any SHELBY promotion, also removing Dons name as well from the heading. To rap it all up they super- imposed the injector hat pic with cragar, who was a big contributor at that time for racing buffs. The tire smoke, position of Dons head in the roll cage is exact so probably a little photo trickery going on here.

silverton_ford

• SAAC Member
  • Been dreaming of a Shelby since I was 7.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:50:46 AM »
The Car Craft picture was issued in the June 1968 Car Craft magazine issue.   You can find this magazine on ebay pretty easily.  It was in the center of the magazine and you could easily pull back the staples and take it out of the magazine.  It is a cool picture and more economical than the original poster....  I am still hunting for a poster and have other Cobra/Shelby posters that I would do some trading with to get one.

I recently bought this and framed it in an 11x17 frame.   https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Shelby-Super-Snake-Don-Prudhomme-Centerfold-Poster-Magazine-Ad-Article-Ford/183533318304?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

terlingua11

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 10:53:43 AM »
Brian, That's great information, Thank you-
SFM6S1904
88 Saleen 19R

98SVT - was 06GT

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:23:17 AM »
My guess would be the picture on the right is the vintage old yellowed original version, and the left one is a photo shopped version from car craft at a later date removing any SHELBY promotion, also removing Dons name as well from the heading. To rap it all up they super- imposed the injector hat pic with cragar, who was a big contributor at that time for racing buffs. The tire smoke, position of Dons head in the roll cage is exact so probably a little photo trickery going on here.
Left is as shot magazine picture. Right is ad agency prepped for the customer Shelby Parts Co. CS was also selling wheels so he wouldn't want Cragar in the picture. The Snake (named such prior to driving for Ford/CS) was big news at the time he and Mongoose's rivalry drove the world to drag racing. Snake & Mongoose movie was pretty well done on the subject. Even has some great footage of the top fuel car with Shelby splashed along the side. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=snake+mongoose+full+movie+
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:28:09 AM by 98SVT - was 06GT »
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless