The Official SAAC Forum
November 18, 2017, 04:32:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Car Detectives" demonstration day at Simeone to feature Coupe  (Read 1435 times)
mark p

« on: March 22, 2017, 06:40:11 PM »

the headline says: Special Demo Day will reveal the stories of secret iconic car "finds"
this should be an interesting presentation, especially with the expected guest. Hope to see some friendly SAAC faces there.
I did the best I could taking the page from the email and making it a "picture" for posting (oops, looks like I cut off a line about the food truck  Roll Eyes )... anyone looking for more can always check the Museum Website.

Museum Website:
http://www.simeonemuseum.org/

'66 Tiger / '65 Thunderbird
06 GT

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »

A good refresher. http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6811.0  but doesn't completly jive with current "history" being offered. I've been told another million was thrown into the purchase settlement.
She was working at Tiffany's when we managed to track her down the second time - the first time was at her house where she seemed very nice and invited us back to talk the next week. When we got there the new residents said she was moving out that day we were there but they told us she worked at a jewelry store. When we found her she went complete wacko - get out of here now. I'll call the cops if I ever see you again. Message revceived $250,000 cash down payment in brown paper bag returned to hopeful buyer. We were only out a little time. One chaser had actually put a 1.5 million $ house into escrow for her before she backed out of that deal.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:49:12 PM by 06 GT » Logged
johngalt

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 04:54:35 AM »

Rehashing the stories about #2287's post 1964/65 days (weird owners, "re-discovery", etc) will make for an interesting Demo Day.  However, there is an important side story to focus on during the event:

If all goes as planned, a special guest will be attending the Simeone Demo Days:

The late Dave MacDonald's wife - Sherry MacDonald. 

Sherry is an amazing woman, who besides being a loving wife, was also an integral part of Dave's racing career.  She was actively involved in Dave's early Corvette & Cobra racing days and after Dave's death, the torchbearer of his considerable racing archives for 50+ years.   

Thanks to Dr. Simeone's efforts, Demo Days will be the 1st time since 1964 (53 years) that a MacDonald will once again sit in the Daytona Coupe that started it all. 

She's a class act that all SAAC attendees will certainly appreciate.

mark p

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 06:45:06 AM »

^^^ yeah, this could be "very interesting" (as Artie Johnson used to say   Roll Eyes )
 The Museum staff and Dr Simeone don't seem to talk much about $$$ - at least from what I've heard.
I still keep a copy of the Shelby American article handy (from issue #71) figuring that is the "definitive story" - to show to anyone that doesn't know it, who knows if what we'll hear on Saturday is significantly different?

Dkutz

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 10:27:15 AM »

^^^ yeah, this could be "very interesting" (as Artie Johnson used to say   Roll Eyes )
 The Museum staff and Dr Simeone don't seem to talk much about $$$ - at least from what I've heard.
I still keep a copy of the Shelby American article handy (from issue #71) figuring that is the "definitive story" - to show to anyone that doesn't know it, who knows if what we'll hear on Saturday is significantly different?

is that article online somewhere??

preaction
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 12:59:38 PM »

It should be an interesting story hearing Fred's point of view.

Dkutz

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »

A good refresher. http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=6811.0  but doesn't completly jive with current "history" being offered. I've been told another million was thrown into the purchase settlement.
She was working at Tiffany's when we managed to track her down the second time - the first time was at her house where she seemed very nice and invited us back to talk the next week. When we got there the new residents said she was moving out that day we were there but they told us she worked at a jewelry store. When we found her she went complete wacko - get out of here now. I'll call the cops if I ever see you again. Message revceived $250,000 cash down payment in brown paper bag returned to hopeful buyer. We were only out a little time. One chaser had actually put a 1.5 million $ house into escrow for her before she backed out of that deal.

Great article and more than I had known previously.

06 GT

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »

If all goes as planned, a special guest will be attending the Simeone Demo Days: The late Dave MacDonald's wife - Sherry MacDonald. 
Met her and her daughter at Autobooks in Burbank when there was a Corvette book signing 6-8 early driver mechanics etc. She was very nice and knowledgeable about the era. It's too bad the Ford powers to be made them sell the first Z06 ever built because it wasn't acceptable to have a Chevy in the garage.

mark p

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 04:22:13 PM »

the MacDonald's brought a whole posse today  Chug a Lug
Dr Simeone took Rich for a ride around the lot, the grin was ear-to-ear.

preaction
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »

The Doc did a great job. I was surprised to hear the story Fred told was very much the same I have herd 20 years ago about how he came to acquire 2287.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!