The Official SAAC Forum
May 24, 2017, 02:56:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 GT 350 All Fiberglass Hood  (Read 746 times)
DGSOH

« on: March 18, 2017, 09:26:18 AM »

I know I should have a steel framed hood... but I don't. What I do have appears to be an original all fiberglass hood.

I'm looking for some good detailed photos of the latch area and particularly the transition from 'glass to the latch. The attached photo shows the area of interest and as one can see, it's pretty rough and delaminating from the latch. I'd like to make this detail as correct as I can.

Photos of the complete hood can be found here: http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=33126.0.

Any/all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

DGSOH

* HoodLatchOnly.jpg (63.24 KB, 703x638 - viewed 58 times.)
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

Here are some pictures of my car when it still had an original full fiberglass hood (off another '67 Shelby).  It's since been replaced by an original metal backed hood.

https://imageshack.com/a/FWfM/1

Can I ask,what car no. do you have?

Brian Glover
SAAC Carolinas' Representative

Current Caretaker of No. 83, a 1967 Shelby GT350
DGSOH

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 12:41:41 PM »

Here are some pictures of my car when it still had an original full fiberglass hood (off another '67 Shelby).  It's since been replaced by an original metal backed hood.

https://imageshack.com/a/FWfM/1

Can I ask,what car no. do you have?

Thanks Brian!

Car #66

car 26-JD

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 06:33:42 PM »

Doug, I think there is typically a irregular edge of the fiberglass to the metal latch and that over time there can be some separation and a visible gap.  If this is the case  you may want to remove any paint from the area, both materials fiberglass and metal, rough the metal a bit and apply some new (additional) fiberglass and resin to the area.  Don't add too much.

Also, and you may already know, the under side of the hood would not be body color but would have body color overspray around the perimeter and through the scoop inlet openings.  You may want to paint the underside a dark (Hot Rod) gray primer.

* HoodLatch6391.jpg (78.16 KB, 800x591 - viewed 42 times.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:48:54 PM by car 26-JD » Logged

1967 GT350 - car #26
shlb69

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »

ok if you need a steel frame original hood I may be able to help you out.

DGSOH

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 01:38:07 AM »

ok if you need a steel frame original hood I may be able to help you out.
PM sent.

DGSOH

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 01:46:14 AM »

Doug, I think there is typically a irregular edge of the fiberglass to the metal latch and that over time there can be some separation and a visible gap.  If this is the case  you may want to remove any paint from the area, both materials fiberglass and metal, rough the metal a bit and apply some new (additional) fiberglass and resin to the area.  Don't add too much.

Also, and you may already know, the under side of the hood would not be body color but would have body color overspray around the perimeter and through the scoop inlet openings.  You may want to paint the underside a dark (Hot Rod) gray primer.

Thanks JD. Great photo. Between this and the one's from Brian I think I have a good direction now.

As to my call-out above, I thought they were supposed to be black on the underside? Or is the gray so dark it looks black most of the time, like a charcoal?

Thanks -

Doug

shlb69

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »

replied to pm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!