The Official SAAC Forum
October 19, 2017, 04:55:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holley 4279 carb question  (Read 1629 times)
radojko
SAAC Member

« on: January 04, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »

Hi all,

Can somebody please tell me what the circled thing in the attached pic is for...?

TIA,
Bob

* IMG_2518.jpg (50.66 KB, 800x600 - viewed 157 times.)
Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 04:17:13 PM »

Holley 4150 Fuel filter/fuel inlet

Autolite C70E-9155-A for 428CJ, Boss 302 or 390 GT (at least from part number from the box on my cars carb)

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
Items in black are the personal opinion of this users account
Items highlighted in Red are Moderator duty related and do not reflect the personal opinion of this users account.
radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »

That was my initial thought, but there are TWO fuel inlets on the other side of the body...

rockhouse66

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 06:02:04 AM »

There should be a crossover tube on the other side that connects the front and rear float bowls.

Jim
shelby001

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 03:28:35 PM »

There should be a crossover tube on the other side that connects the front and rear float bowls.

What he said & the one you show is the fuel filter.

Wedgeman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 03:42:45 PM »

Here is the other side

* 4279 holley.jpg (56.32 KB, 800x600 - viewed 62 times.)
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »

Maybe this will help illustrate  Chug a Lug

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »

What he said & the one you show is the fuel filter.

I'm stilled confused about the circled object on the driver side. I do know about the crossover tube on the passenger side, and, yes, it is present. First, why is nothing attached to the nipple on the filter? Second, how does fuel pass through the filter before entering the carb? Third, how does the filter actually attach - is it threaded somewhere/somehow?

Does anybody have a pic of the filter by itself?

Inquiring minds wanna know!  :-)

Bob

sportyworty

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 07:36:31 AM »

The fuel line is steel as you are imagining from the fuel pump to just before entering the carb where it has a short piece of rubber hose that connects to the filter illustrated with a clamp. The fuel then after being filtered enters the primary bowl where it transfers to the secondary bowl via the cross over tube. The filter just screws into the bowl. Maybe that makes sense now Chug a Lug

* fuel filter.jpg (3.81 KB, 180x181 - viewed 272 times.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 07:42:55 AM by sportyworty » Logged

8F91R 577646
8F01R 210245
Vcode

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »

This should help.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »

It might complicate things if you are looking at a carb that does not have the crossover tube type front bowl . That special front bowl is opened up and threaded on both sides. One side opened up and threaded for the filter and the other side threaded for the crossover tube. A standard Holley carb bowl is used on both the front and back bowls and is only threaded on one side. The Ford Holley's only use that as the back bowl. Many carbs over the years have been retro fitted using the common Holley(back bowl /front bowl)bowl to replace a damaged threaded Ford front bowl because of it's common availability. It was common in the past not to know where to get parts like the special front bowl. There are more places to get them now. If you need one you can get them form Carls Ford parts.   http://carlsfordparts.com/main.html , Under CJ fuel bowl see     http://carlsfordparts.com/parts_images/misc/69_735cfm_gt%20cj%20fuel%20bowl.JPG    

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
BigBlock

Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 05:38:37 AM »

Thanks Bob for the Carl's info. I had to take a one sided bowl and have a friend at a machine shop thread the other side and very carefully drill through the needle pin shaft opening plus the vent hole. On these old bowls you take the filter out and the threads are gone.

How can the threads for the filter and other side be repaired?

johnsshelby

oh honey, let me buy it......

Email
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »

Filters are there to be removed.   Thread damage  can be the result of Corrosion.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »

Thanks Bob for the Carl's info. I had to take a one sided bowl and have a friend at a machine shop thread the other side and very carefully drill through the needle pin shaft opening plus the vent hole. On these old bowls you take the filter out and the threads are gone.

How can the threads for the filter and other side be repaired?
Most filters can be taken out any number of times without thread damage . As has been mentioned corrosion can cause damage. For most of us the easiest and most economic way to address the thread problem is to buy a new bowl given the availability. Buying a donor carb with a good bowl can be a gamble and typically more of a hassle and more expensive. The machine work time needed to modify a common one sided bowl could easily match or exceed the purchase of new not to mention trying to find someone who wants to do it and the time involved from start of the effort to finish . I am not aware of a way to properly repair a bowl once the threads have been stripped.   

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
radojko
SAAC Member

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 10:53:11 PM »

Hi again, all!

Related question...

What is correct for the 4129:  electric choke, or automatic choke?

Thanks!

Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!