The Official SAAC Forum
August 22, 2017, 09:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CSX2286 Daytona Coupe mystery  (Read 4686 times)
Tom Kirkham

Email
« on: March 12, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »

On page 396 of the Shelby Registry (4th edition) there is a picture of 4 Daytona Coupes in front of an airplane.  They are identified as CSX2300, CSX2299, CSX2287 and CSX2286.  This identification is mistaken as CSX2287 can safely be picked out with its narrow front cowl section on the far right of the picture.  I think the Coupes should be identified as:  CSX2286, CSX2299, CSX2300, and CSX2287.  CSX2299 and CSX2300 can be can be differentiated by the height of the engine vents.  I am assuming that the 4 pictured coupes had just arrived from Europe and are all lined up for a hero photo. The first car in the line up, has the sharp squared off engine vent of CSX2286 and is missing headlights, driving lights and possibly its radiator. It is also in the same paint scheme as CSX2286 on page 421 of the registry.  I say it is CSX2286.  But what happened to its big power bulge?
Bill Eaton on page 190 of the Daytona Cobra Coupes book states that ďÖUnfortunately the car never ran and when it was returned to Shelby American from Europe,  I re-cut the chassis and returned it to its original length.Ē  What is interesting is CSX2286 big power bulge is now missing in the hero picture. It would make sense that the power bulge was removed by Carrozzeria Grandsport since they had the Daytona Coupe body bucks.
Are there any other pictures of CSX2286 in its long wheel base configuration in the US (or Italy)?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 01:02:56 AM by Tom Kirkham » Logged
richstang

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 10:40:56 AM »

I'm surprised there haven't been any previous replies.

The airport photo with 4 Daytona coupes is tough to scrutinize. If we could find a larger photo I might be able to confirm the car ID#s you've noted.
One thing I do agree on, is that cowl area proves 2287 is on the far right.

I've only seen the larger hood power bulge on a Daytona Cobra in the Carrozzeria, Italy factory photo.

(III    o    III)

Cobra Ned
SAAC Registrar

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »

As that is an old photo that probably came from the Shelby archives, it was likely identified way back when and no one ever questioned the lineup. If the cars were incorrectly numbered then, it's high time the error was corrected.

Tom Kirkham

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 10:34:56 PM »

A little more information...

https://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/2014/04/07/picking-up-four-1965-cobra-coupes/

Link reads:

Allen Grant, myself, and Earl Jones (left to right) picked up four Cobra Coupes after they had cleared customs at LAX. We pretended to pick out our cars for the 1965 season. The car on the right had been stretched to accommodate a 427 engine. It never ran in this configuration.

John Morton, author of Inside Shelby American, shares a story of a quick trip to the airport and a wild idea he cooked up with a friend.

Back at the shop, shortly after Earlís Riverside victory, Earl, Allen Grant, and I were given the job of driving to Los Angeles International Airport and picking up four Cobra Coupes. They had arrived from Europe on a Slick Airways DC6. All four of them were painted in the old Viking Blue team color. One of them appeared to be brand new and not quite finished. Another was the stretched one that had been built to accept a big-block engine. The nose was damaged but it had not been run. The three of us picked out a car and posed with it pretending,

ďThis is the car Iím going to be driving,Ē as Dave Friedman took our picture to prove our claims.

The Coupes were brought into the race shop and each of the four cars was assigned to a chief mechanic and a helper. The Coupe that had been stretched was temporarily stored because they hadnít decided what to do with it. It was not one of the four cars being readied for the 1965 Daytona and Sebring efforts.

One night Earl and I were over at the Carter Street building where the 427 Coupe was stored. The carís fate seemed to be in limbo because it just wasnít practical to take on a new project in the shop with all the work to be done before the 1965 season opener at Daytona in February.

Thatís when Earl and I cooked up the stupidest idea anyone at Shelby American had ever thought of. The two of us would take the 427 Coupe home to our one-car garages, install free of charge a 427 engine that Shelby would provide, and, voilŗ, a fifth team car at hardly any cost to Shelby American or Ford. Naturally Earl and I would drive the car free of charge. It goes without saying our scheme didnít make it to first base. To this day Iím still astounded by my immaturity back then

Tom Kirkham

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:33:19 PM »

I think this picture,

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-no187-bob-bondurant-jochen-neerpaschs-shelby-cobra-daytona-coupe-fiat-62223918.html

confirms 2299 and 2300 are the middle two cars in the airport photo.  Note how the height of the  engine vents.

Dmxf

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:06:06 AM »

The distance between the back of the front wheel well and the front edge of the side vent looks to be notably longer on the car all the way on the right, indicating it is the stretched 2286. Also, probably more significant, the damage on the front of the car on the far right jives with the reported history of 2286 where the car slid forward in a transporter accident on the way to Lemans, ending the car's chances of competing at the event with the already squeezed schedule. It's hard to tell from the picture what the situation is from the apparent missing hood bulge.

Dmxf

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:48:58 AM »

Then again, here's a picture of the stretched 2286 showing the wide cowl strip. In addition the latch is visible behind the side vent, yet no latch is apparent on the car on the right in the 4 car picture. The presence of the meatballs on the car on the left would make you think that may be 2286, but this is getting into more of a 289 Cobra/Daytona detail issue, so I'll leave it to you small block experts

* CSX2286 Daytona w Alum 390.jpg (66.6 KB, 800x553 - viewed 78 times.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:58:48 AM by Dmxf » Logged
06 GT

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »

This is a question for Pete Brock. I'm amazed at his ability to look at any picture and tell which car it is and more amazingly which race or time period the photo is from.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!