The Official SAAC Forum
June 27, 2017, 06:58:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1966 Shelby group 11 cars  (Read 3383 times)
honker

« on: March 01, 2017, 03:52:46 PM »

When the '66 Shelby group 11 notchbacks were built, they had over-ride traction bars installed. Am I correct in understanding one of the mounting points was inside the car in the rear seat area ?
My question is, in my 2011 copy of the registry, in the chapter on these cars it says in the sixth paragraph, that the rules required seats for four, and the stock Mustang interior had to be retained.  wouldn't the bars interfere with the back seats ? I don't know how stringent the rules were, and nobody would be sitting there any how.
Can any one lead me to photos of the rear seat area on one of the sixteen cars. In period, or a restored car would be okay.

thanks, Mike (honker)

acman63
SAAC Concours Chairman

Email
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »

they are hidden inside the inner panels

Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »

they are hidden inside the inner panels
-just like they are on the fastbacks.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
gt350hr

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 04:44:54 PM »

+2 the bars cleared the inside panels and the factory seat could be retained. Same installation as all the over ride cars got.

owner 6S477 HERTZ White w/Blue stripes-1of18-since 1974. OVER 3,500 drag strip runs made in it since then. My candidate for the "worlds Most drag raced Shelby" More added all the time.
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2017, 05:27:56 PM »

+3

Maybe this will help   Camera

From 66

You will notice interior quarter panel trim removed (made room for the rear roll bar attachment installed in this specific car) and a piece of wind lacing covers the somewhat sharp edge of the rear door jamb metal. Of course having the rear seat still in place fulfilled the requirement  

In the example below you can see the interior trim over the over-ride area. Still a tight fit for it and the seat all in the same area

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 05:36:15 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
honker

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 12:41:28 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies, and J_Speegle for the photos !
questions ?

# 1...Would the rear seat bottom and back be the same width (from side to side) on a '66 notch back and fast back ?

# 2...I know they have a different shape, but would the plastic interior trim below the rear-side window on the notch (where the winder is) and fast back, where the overrider mounts are hidden, be the same width at the floor pan ?

I have a somewhat better picture now of how these were installed, I found a couple of more pics, below, on the net as well of this area, bare metal, no trim, some how I couldn't see how the bar went straight back, with the wheel housing there, but these have made it clearer.

Mike (honker)

* rider:1resize.jpg (47.79 KB, 800x599 - viewed 74 times.)
honker

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Another view, with the boot installed.

* rider:2resize.jpg (92.25 KB, 800x695 - viewed 74 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!