The Official SAAC Forum
March 24, 2017, 03:15:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling JD - Upper Scoop Light Versions?  (Read 2937 times)
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:17 AM »

You used to be able to find the lenses at any truck stop in America.  Well, 30 plus years ago.   This has come up before.  Some dummy opened up to Ward Auto Supply that these fit 67 Shelbys.  So, their price has about tripled.  But still less then that guy on Ebay who wants $1500.00

rcgt350

Email
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »

Matt,
 Sent you an email.

Randy

Road Reptile

mustang_isme@live.com
Email
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2017, 10:35:22 AM »

Hi all,
Nice to see the great pictures..Thanks to J.D. again for the time and effort.
Just a quick note to Richstang  we never figured a definite date for cutoff of lights...been looking over the registry and I think it is more like the first week of Jan. Best example I could find is car 213--low mile original paint car
and it has no scoop lights. Remember the date is more critical than the car number...I really think that far less than 200 were made. Which Red car is on the list ?? 0100 ??  Thanks.
R.R.

SFM66H

The Sales Office at LAX in 1966

Email
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2017, 10:49:58 AM »

JD - in addition to all of the other great info that you have posted about USL's in this thread, I think it's really good that you have also included this 1966 ad that describes what their actual function was:

Thanks again, really enjoying this!

Kieth

1966 GT 350H owner since June 30, 1976
richstang

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »

Just a quick note to Richstang  we never figured a definite date for cutoff of lights...been looking over the registry and I think it is more like the first week of Jan. Best example I could find is car 213--low mile original paint car
and it has no scoop lights. Remember the date is more critical than the car number...I really think that far less than 200 were made. Which Red car is on the list ?? 0100 ??  Thanks.
R.R.

RR,

Thanks for the note on #213.
I have it listed in my spreadsheet without these USL's and a SA completion date 1/4/67.
#145 - GT350 - SA completion date of 1/6/67 has them too. After that date, I've only found the three cars with them as listed below.

You may be right on the first week of January as the cut off, but a few cars are in question having these Upper Scoop Lights and built in the second week of January.
#155 - GT350 - SA completion date 1/10/67 has them
#314 - GT500 - SA completion date 1/14/67 has them. The current owned mentioned on the forum he's looking for the original owner to find out if they were added.
#339 - GT500 - SA completion date 1/11/67 has them.
It is possible they were added in all three cases, but they should be considered until proven otherwise.

Other than the three exceptions above, after car #176 no other cars have appear with the USL's in my search.
Between #176 and #250 there are 21 cars that do not have them.
Between #001 and #176 there are 16 cars that also do not have them. Looking at those SA build dates, we have to consider if they were removed on a few of them.

Yes, the only red car with the USL's is #100, Eric's GT500.
Other than the two questionable GT500s above, this is the only other GT500 with them.

I also agree if we ever get a complete list, we will find the number of cars with the USL's is closer to 165, perhaps even less.

Rich P

Edit correction from #144 to #145

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:35:17 PM by richstang » Logged
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2017, 01:49:03 PM »

Obviously,  the majority of cars with upper red scoop lights are GT350's.  As a rough guess, how many GT500's do you think are in that group?

Brian Glover
SAAC Carolinas' Representative

Current Caretaker of No. 83, a 1967 Shelby GT350
Bob Gaines

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2017, 03:07:15 PM »

RR,

Thanks for the note on #213.
I have it listed in my spreadsheet without these USL's and a SA completion date 1/4/67.
#144 - GT350 - SA completion date of 1/6/67 has them too. After that date, I've only found the three cars with them as listed below.

You may be right on the first week of January as the cut off, but a few cars are in question having these Upper Scoop Lights and built in the second week of January.
#155 - GT350 - SA completion date 1/10/67 has them
#314 - GT500 - SA completion date 1/14/67 has them. The current owned mentioned on the forum he's looking for the original owner to find out if they were added.
#339 - GT500 - SA completion date 1/11/67 has them.
It is possible they were added in all three cases, but they should be considered until proven otherwise.

Other than the three exceptions above, after car #176 no other cars have appear with the USL's in my search.
Between #176 and #250 there are 21 cars that do not have them.
Between #001 and #176 there are 16 cars that also do not have them. Looking at those SA build dates, we have to consider if they were removed on a few of them.

Yes, the only red car with the USL's is #100, Eric's GT500.
Other than the two questionable GT500s above, this is the only other GT500 with them.

I also agree if we ever get a complete list, we will find the number of cars with the USL's is closer to 165, perhaps even less.

Rich P

Since the build date is the finish date it only gives a rough idea at best IMO of what was done when. A car could have past the station installing the scoop lights and then been stalled by some other issue until being finally finished much later. If using the completion date as a yardstick in that instance it would give the perception of a much later cutoff date then it actually was.
There is a lot of wiggle room with the limited information at hand to make anything more then a best guess estimate IMO. Not like this is anymore or any less of a surprise to anyone studying 67 Shelby's.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
richstang

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2017, 05:46:46 PM »

Obviously,  the majority of cars with upper red scoop lights are GT350's.  As a rough guess, how many GT500's do you think are in that group?

We would also have to consider #164 and #167 as possibilities, after that it gets very questionable.

richstang

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »

Since the build date is the finish date it only gives a rough idea at best IMO of what was done when. A car could have past the station installing the scoop lights and then been stalled by some other issue until being finally finished much later. If using the completion date as a yardstick in that instance it would give the perception of a much later cutoff date then it actually was.
There is a lot of wiggle room with the limited information at hand to make anything more then a best guess estimate IMO. Not like this is anymore or any less of a surprise to anyone studying 67 Shelby's.

Bob, always adds great points. It also helps explain, and lean in favor of, #145 and #155 having the USL's factory installed even with their later SA build dates.
I agree, without any real documentation we are just making our best guesses here. With each car added to the list, with or without, it just gets us a bit closer.

#0004 just popped up on ebay with the USL's, not that this car was ever in question.

Email
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 09:20:31 AM »

Kinda close to topic
Just noticed this in the light this AM
Looks like all the scoops were originally intended for the lights?
Then filled in once they did away with the idea?
This is from #1331 completed 3-30-67

* USS Shelby.jpg (9.54 KB, 320x240 - viewed 28 times.)
Tom Honegger

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »

See JD's reply # 10. The "flaw" you are seeing is located further to the rear of the scoop than where light was located. The "flawed impression" you are seeing is from the mounting stud, not where a light was intended. When the stud is overtightened, that distorts or flexes the fiberglass...trust me...I learned that one from experience!

Black '67 GT350 #0073...a driver

Email
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 09:39:23 AM »

Wow yep that appears to be exactly what I was thinking
You guys certainly have got these cars figured out!

Bob Gaines

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 12:39:29 PM »

Wow yep that appears to be exactly what I was thinking
You guys certainly have got these cars figured out!
That is until more information presents itself for something else different. Wink Just when you think you have it all figured out you find that you don't. Hysterical

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
Woody

Email
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »

Its just a guess,  but most of the Charcoal gray cars were very early and I believe the total is 30.   Perhaps this color had more upper scoop lights than some of the more popular colors.

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2017, 05:31:44 AM »

Its just a guess,  but most of the Charcoal gray cars were very early and I believe the total is 30.   Perhaps this color had more upper scoop lights than some of the more popular colors.

I just had a quick look through the registry and found 30 GT350's and 1 GT500 in Charcoal Gray.(I'm probably off +/- one)  Of those 31, only 11 fit the date deadline discussed above as having received red scoop lights originally.  (One of those cars, of course, being your's Woody).  So I don't think that is accurate.  Your car is really 1 of 11!  Would anyone care to take a guess which color does actually have the most number of original upper red scoop lights?

Brian Glover
SAAC Carolinas' Representative

Current Caretaker of No. 83, a 1967 Shelby GT350
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!