The Official SAAC Forum
June 27, 2017, 06:59:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SAAC 42 Windy City Region Official Thread  (Read 5991 times)
Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« on: February 20, 2017, 06:38:56 AM »

This is meant to compliment the thread started by Dan (thanks Dan!!).

It's official that we will want to figure out some logistics and possible Club activity during the SAAC 42 venue.

Most everyone has reserved at the Wyndham, so let's make that our official hotel.

I'd like to ask for ideas in order to make the most of the event this year.

Please add ides or suggestions, in particular should we:

1.  Drive together in Cruise Style to SAAC?  If so, Does Thursday work for everyone?

2.  Have a reception and/or Dinner together?  If so, what date works best?

3.  Will everyone be returning on Sunday?  Cruise back together?  Proposed time?

Any other ideas?

Chug a Lug

Proud owner of two Shelby's.
Proud member of SAAC.
Proud contributor of Windy City SAAC Region

Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 06:59:15 PM »

We've got time so I'll float a couple things about this here:

Tired of the rat race down I-65?  Well, look on the map.  Take U.S.41 (just 2-3 miles into Indiana off of I-80) south to I-70.  Yeah, a little longer but more relaxing.  If you take the road toward Attica, there is a MacDonald's for a rest break.  And the little two lane road south out of town connects with I-70 too.  If you get off of I-70 at Brownsburg, you can roll past John Force's Midwest headquarters, and still roll past the Indy dragstrip while on your way to the Brickyard.
   Meeting place/dinner gathering:  there is a fantastic BBQ place in Avon on RT 36 (north side) It is not too far from the airport, meaning not too far from the Hotels.  I try to post the name in a day or so.

dan353

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »

Driving on Thursday works for me. The U.S. 41 route also sounds good also. It's nice to get off the highway and drive the back roads.
    Dan

Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

We've got time so I'll float a couple things about this here:

Tired of the rat race down I-65?  Well, look on the map.  Take U.S.41 (just 2-3 miles into Indiana off of I-80) south to I-70.  Yeah, a little longer but more relaxing.  If you take the road toward Attica, there is a MacDonald's for a rest break.  And the little two lane road south out of town connects with I-70 too.  If you get off of I-70 at Brownsburg, you can roll past John Force's Midwest headquarters, and still roll past the Indy dragstrip while on your way to the Brickyard.
   Meeting place/dinner gathering:  there is a fantastic BBQ place in Avon on RT 36 (north side) It is not too far from the airport, meaning not too far from the Hotels.  I try to post the name in a day or so.

Rodney,

Great suggestions.  Any idea of what time it would take by this route?  The backroads can be fun, but if too long, can wear you down.
Love the idea of a dinner thursday night and who doesn't like BBQ!!

Let us know the time it takes and would you be able to lead the way?  If not, John Guinta might be interested  Hysterical

Chug a Lug

Proud member of SAAC.
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 04:25:34 PM »

The BBQ places name: City Barb-B-Que.  I recall they have a liquor license

Time mileage down 41 to I-70:  Might add 20 to 30 miles to the trip.  There is a field of windwills to go through in Benton County.  The "city" disappears south of Cedar Lake IN.  Very small amount of Semi's on 41.  There will be Semi's on I 70, but, a lot less then you get on I-65.

Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »

Thanks.  We plan to discuss as a group in the next couple of weeks.

More to come!

Proud member of SAAC.
hertzman06
Rich

Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »

I have used US 41 on all my return trips from Indy and LOVE it! But I fet off 41 around St John and head west to Halsted ( Rt 1 ). On a early Sunday morning 41 is beautiful.

Rich
Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 02:27:56 PM »

I believe most that are driving their Shelby's will want to take the best and most scenic route, especially if it does not delay the overall trip much.

Would Dan, Rodney or Rich be interested in leading the cavalry? 

Is everyone planning on leaving Thursday AM?

Final Q for those who have done it, I may be trailering my car for judging, any issues on the road for that tour or I am just better staying on the highway and getting there without much fuss?

Thanks!

Chug a Lug

Proud member of SAAC.
Rodney T
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »

I do not have an enclosed trailer.  I have had no issues rolling along with my GT 350 on an open trailer.  And, I mean either way down 41.  You either stay on 41, which turns into 63 (still 4 lanes) all the way to I-70.  Or, you take the cut towards Attica, and take the single lane road south out of town to...I-70

Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 03:18:41 PM »

I do not have an enclosed trailer.  I have had no issues rolling along with my GT 350 on an open trailer.  And, I mean either way down 41.  You either stay on 41, which turns into 63 (still 4 lanes) all the way to I-70.  Or, you take the cut towards Attica, and take the single lane road south out of town to...I-70

Thanks Rodney.  I will be towing my 68 in an enclosed trailer, but did not want to burden the group.
My brother in law is tempted to drive my 65 to the convention, while I tow the 68.
Should be fun!

Proud member of SAAC.
Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:57 AM »

We had a really productive meeting today, and I'd like to thank Dan for agreeing to take the lead on organizing our Caravan to SAAC 42.

Dan will post an update in the near future, and he is teaming up with Mike S., to learn from the past and make sure we start at a good meeting place on the way there.

Be on the lookout for Dan's instructions.

This should be fun and memorable for many reasons.

Chug a Lug

Proud member of SAAC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!