The Official SAAC Forum
December 17, 2017, 04:33:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vintage B&W Photo: Carroll Shelby Receiving Boeing Airplane Co. Awards with SCCA  (Read 792 times)
MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« on: February 17, 2017, 05:36:20 AM »

I just picked an interesting photo that I thought I might share with you all.  It's a vintage B&W photo of Carroll Shelby (and others) holding their Boeing B-47 Stratojet award trophies.  I need to find out more information about this, but I'm told that the people in the photo from left to right are:

Tom Newoomer
Frank Colby
Carroll Shelby
Masten Gregory
And Master of Ceremonies, LeRoy Kramer, chairman of SCCA Contest Board.

* IMG_20170217_0001.jpg (86.19 KB, 800x630 - viewed 159 times.)

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

SAAC Member

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:55:30 AM »

Do you think there is any chance that is a CS Doppleganger?

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »

Considering he is standing next to other professional racers of the day, I'm guessing not.  The man needed a good meal back then.  6'2" and 98 pounds soaking wet. Roll Eyes

Brian Glover
SAAC North Carolina's Representative

Coralsnake

www.thecoralsnake.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 08:45:28 AM »

I guess my boy, didn't make the cut! A relative that new a little something about bombers....is that within six degrees?  Hysterical

Stevens Point Daily Journal

Saturday, April 30, 1955

Lt. Col. Raymond Disher Heads Stratojet Production Committee

A former Stevens Point resident, Lt. Col. Raymond J. Disher, has been appointed chairman of the B-47 "Stratojet" production committee.

The committee, made up of representatives of the air force and the aircraft industry, co-ordinates the building of the giant bomber.

Colonel Disher, now stationed at Wichita, Kansas, is a son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Frank Disher. He was born in Plover in 1921, graduated from St. Stanislaus Parochial school and the local high school, and attended Central State college for two years before entering the service.

The story of Colonel Disher's appointment to the chairmanship of the B-47 production committee is told in newspapers printed at the Lockheed aircraft plant at Marietta, Ga., the Douglas aircraft plant at Tulsa, Okla., and the Boeing factory at Wichita, Kans. All manufacturers of the Stratojet.

"Bomber of Today"

In one of the publications, Colonel Disher is quoted as calling the B-47 the most important plane in today's air force. "The B-47 is the bomber of today" he said "and is the airplane we would fight a war with if one should come up in the near future."

He termed the big six-engine plane "our backbone bomber for the next few years at least."

Colonel Disher has been in the air force since about a year before Pearl Harbor. He was commissioned in 1941, after training at Randolph and Kelly fields, Tex., and in the early days of war flew B-17 and B-24 bombers in the China-Burma-India theater. After 15 months, he was reassigned to the United States, to train B-24 bomber crews.

From 1944 to 1947, he served in command headquarters at Orlando air force base, Fla. After completing a course in industrial management at the University of Wisconsin, he was assigned to the industrial mobilization planning office of the munitions board in Washington D. C., where he served three and one half years.

Attended Staff School

He later attended the air command staff school at Montgomery, Ala., for six months, and then was assistant to the air material command deputy for production.

For six months prior to his appointment as chairman of the B-47 production board, Colonel Disher was assistant to Lt. Col. John R. Mayberry, who preceded him as chairman.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 08:49:54 AM by Coralsnake » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Shelby Researcher, theCoralsnake.com Webmaster and the official Conelec Public Relations Officer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!