The Official SAAC Forum
March 25, 2017, 12:47:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 66 all steel hood survey  (Read 1017 times)
6S2020

« on: February 16, 2017, 08:35:51 PM »

6S2020 has original all steel hood
ford build last week april / first week may. best guess by Jeff
Shelby build 11th july
scoop shape hole
frame is marked 
                  xx   8 $    8
                  ^ digets not legible with paint.
                        ^ this 8 could be a symbol not an 8
                           ^ S with a line through it
                                 ^ this is an 8

Of corse i may have been looking at it upside down and back to front  Grin

Darryll

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
Texas Swede

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

My friend Roland in Sweden owns 6S923 which was and still is equipped with
an all steel hood. Car was produced in San Jose around January 12, 1966.
Shelby completion date was sometime in February. Unfortunately the original
hood was warped so the body guy couldn't get it straight so another Mustang hood was
used and the original scoop was transferred from the original to the replacement.
The first picture shows the date code on the original and the second the scoop after removal from the
original.
Texas Swede

* 6S9234.jpg (77.69 KB, 800x600 - viewed 50 times.)
Texas Swede

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »

Here is the second picture.
Texas Swede

* 6S9238.jpg (59.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 50 times.)
J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »

Have a fair number of steel hoods on cars in pictures but many have been restored and I can't be sure they are original to the cars so will refrain from offering them at this time and possibly muddying the results

Feel comfortable with posting the following

-----------------------------------------
6S2007

Big scoop shaped opening in the base hood

Date us hard to read but looks to be 8 21 2? Found on bottom (with hood open) frame towards the drivers side

6S2268

10 29? 3 Found on bottom (with hood open) frame towards the drivers side

This one is unusual since it still has the stencil on the bottom of the hood showing it was made (likely the conversion date) of 1 ? 66

6S2371

10 ?? ? Found on bottom (with hood open) frame towards the drivers side

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 11:23:28 PM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:57:41 AM »

6S584  All Steel hood with circle opening

6S933  All Steel hood with circle opening

6S2297 All Steel hood with large (scoop) opening

6S2301  All Steel hood with  circle opening

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
6S550

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »

550 had steel hood, when I bought it in 1967. It did not have hood pins. The hood came up, and blew off the car, and over the side of a bridge the day after I bought it. It was bent in half, so no attempt to try to retrieve it.

ROCKET owned 6S550 since sold for Hertz, by Ford. 4 spd, aluminum T 10, mico master cylinder
OldGuy

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:50:16 PM »

This is a great survey and very timely for helping me with configuring a replacement hood for 6S803. Please keep it going!

I've had 803 forever but it has not had the original hood on it. Prior to my ownership, the first owner of the car "nosed" the hood so a replacement was created by installing the original scoop onto a stock hood. This job was poorly executed so I'm recreating the hood one more time.

Beyond the "round hole" or "oval" opening variations, I would like to know if all round hole versions had a recess created in the hood skin (visible from the underside of the hood) for the scoop to nest into. I'm sure that this variation was expensive and time consuming. Was there a factory-installed version that did not have this recess? Would it be too much to ask for "recessed" vs. "non-recessed" data in concert with the "round hole" version?

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Frank

Brant

www.VAMustang.com

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 02:14:07 PM »

This is a great survey and very timely for helping me with configuring a replacement hood for 6S803. Please keep it going!

I've had 803 forever but it has not had the original hood on it. Prior to my ownership, the first owner of the car "nosed" the hood so a replacement was created by installing the original scoop onto a stock hood. This job was poorly executed so I'm recreating the hood one more time.

Beyond the "round hole" or "oval" opening variations, I would like to know if all round hole versions had a recess created in the hood skin (visible from the underside of the hood) for the scoop to nest into. I'm sure that this variation was expensive and time consuming. Was there a factory-installed version that did not have this recess? Would it be too much to ask for "recessed" vs. "non-recessed" data in concert with the "round hole" version?

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Frank

All of the round hole ones that I have seen have the recesses/creases in the hood. I would suspect the others do also. I think it was just the process that was necessary for installing that scoop.

-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Click here to subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information!
6S2020

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »

this is a picture that Bill Collins put up in a 2009 thread "Hood Questions"

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=4714.0

My all steel hood has the same markings (refer to my post # 1 in this thread)
My hood has large scoop opening
There is no recessing for scoop
scoop is spot welded on

Darryll

* DCP_1215.jpg (59.9 KB, 800x533 - viewed 28 times.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:10:27 PM by 6S2020 » Logged

SFM6S2020  1 of 29 Factory Black (no LeMans stripe) non Hertz cars. SAI company car.
GT350AUS

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:38:37 PM »

Mine #705 is all steel with pidgeon porthole ( I think they're quite rare from what I've read)

I'll check the numbers and get back to you when I get to the car next.

po'boy427

6S554 Hertz, confirmed 4spd w/orig alum T-10, MICO

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2017, 01:14:07 AM »

6s554 original steel hood  Nov 65 car.
round hole
date code on frame-8 27 2C

Not only are there recesses in the skin for the scoop to fit but the recessed stamping lines also continue into the Ford frame a bit.

Ray

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 01:22:26 AM by po'boy427 » Logged

-6S554 family owed since May '74
-SPF#373 Cobra SC, Shelby Alum FE T-Port 488 ci
OldGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 12:33:06 PM »

So far, the contributed data leans toward all "round hole" versions having the hood skin recess for the scoop to nest in.

The "scoop-shaped" cutout version does not(?) have the recess. The lowest serial number is somewhere around 6S2000. Does anyone have a numerically lower serial number? Correct me if my assessments are not accurate.

I see why there are so many Hero Members (and apprentice Hero Members) out there. You guys have earned your stripes. Well done!

Thanks to all that have contributed so far. Please keep it going.

Frank

06 GT

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 12:51:45 PM »

I sold 843 with a scoop hole steel hood. The orig Steel/FG was damaged in a brain fade hood pin incident. I cut the skin off and took the frame from another Mustang hood and repaired it but by then had installed the all steel one. Now I wonder if the orig is still out in the shed?

po'boy427

6S554 Hertz, confirmed 4spd w/orig alum T-10, MICO

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2017, 12:55:28 PM »

Is it possible that the round hole hoods were placed into a stamping gig and punched with the skin attached to the frame accounting for the recessed tool markings extend into the frame? The open hood type hood may have had the skin only punched and then assembled to a frame and crimped in a separate process.

Ray

-6S554 family owed since May '74
-SPF#373 Cobra SC, Shelby Alum FE T-Port 488 ci
CSX4781

Email
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2017, 04:42:44 PM »

I used to have the steel hood from 6S689- had a round hole. Was likely original to that car, as it was taken off the car in 1981 and was in poor shape.

Another friend owned 6S855. It too had a steel hood (around 1982), but it had the oval opening. Don't know that it was original to that car, as it had been previously wrecked and rebuilt, including some front end damage.

Dave

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!