The Official SAAC Forum
December 13, 2017, 12:23:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1967 gt350/500 correct rearend and housing question  (Read 1041 times)
imming1965

WWW Email
« on: February 15, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »

I'm starting a new project and have a question... the Shelby I'm doing I will reveal later I will say to help answer question that it is later then 2400 and is a GT500. the question is the rearend has the big plug on the back of housing and I don't think it should have that on this late of car??? also the rear end center has an "N" on the case with leads me to think it is wrong also?Huh? please I would like to hear your thoughts.... thanks Jeremy

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 07:57:58 PM »

I'm starting a new project and have a question... the Shelby I'm doing I will reveal later I will say to help answer question that it is later then 2400 and is a GT500. the question is the rearend has the big plug on the back of housing and I don't think it should have that on this late of car??? also the rear end center has an "N" on the case with leads me to think it is wrong also?Huh? please I would like to hear your thoughts.... thanks Jeremy
At the very least the center section has been changed. The N marked case started well into latter 68 production if not early 69.  If you have the Marti report telling the build /finish date at Ford then look up the rear end housing in the MPC and it will indicated a before ?/?/67 or a after ?/?/67 . The before date references the rear end housing with a plug in the back side.  

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
imming1965

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 09:01:05 PM »

At the very least the center section has been changed. The N marked case started well into latter 68 production if not early 69.  If you have the Marti report telling the build /finish date at Ford then look up the rear end housing in the MPC and it will indicated a before ?/?/67 or a after ?/?/67 . The before date references the rear end housing with a plug in the back side.  
Thanks Bob I will look it up.... thanks

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:07:26 AM »

The MPC copy I picked up lists the change as a May 15th date but would guess that is sort of a soft date given ones in transits and inventory at or one their way to the Sterling plant or to the car plants. MPC shows that this was (the change from housing drain to third member drain) a change for both 8" and 9" rearend and there appears to be a fair number of unrestored cars (both rearends types of housings) with drains in my collection after that date point.

in practice this subject came up the other day when I was doing some research and I found three cars  finished (at San Jose) on the same day  (June 5th) and one finished 2 days later all with a drain in the rear housing.   Just sharing for discussion and consideration.   Chug a Lug

« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:59:42 AM by J_Speegle » Logged

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
imming1965

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:31:52 PM »

The MPC copy I picked up lists the change as a May 15th date but would guess that is sort of a soft date given ones in transits and inventory at or one their way to the Sterling plant or to the car plants. MPC shows that this was (the change from housing drain to third member drain) a change for both 8" and 9" rearend and there appears to be a fair number of unrestored cars (both rearends types of housings) with drains in my collection after that date point.

in practice this subject came up the other day when I was doing some research and I found three cars built in the same DSO - finished (at San Jose) on the same day all with a drain in the rear housing.   Just sharing for discussion and consideration.   Chug a Lug

The car I'm starting on has the big drain plug and it was finished May 26th... Is that possible or have a chance of being correct? This car was sold with traction-lok and I think it is still in rear end but the N on the center section and the look of center section appears to be wrong...

Bob Gaines

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »

The car I'm starting on has the big drain plug and it was finished May 26th... Is that possible or have a chance of being correct? This car was sold with traction-lok and I think it is still in rear end but the N on the center section and the look of center section appears to be wrong...
You can say anything is possible. The question is if it is probable or not. May 15 is a soft date IMO + or - . May 26 is stretching it IMO but not out of the question.

imming1965

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:35 PM »

You can say anything is possible. The question is if it is probable or not. May 15 is a soft date IMO + or - . May 26 is stretching it IMO but not out of the question.
Yes I agree Bob, by possible I guess I really meant probable... This GT500 has no collision damage, is rust free(spent all but first year in it's life in California) and has low miles because I'm guessing because was used to race I'm told by owner(drag racing). the springs are original and even the u bolts and plates are original in appearance. I'm saying this not to justify housing being correct but to say I'm not seeing any real good reason that someone would have changed housing... I know that center section has been changed but the fact that it was raced might mean that gear might have broke at some point. again I agree it could have been changed I'm only asking for opinions because I would hate to have my friend find a new rear housing if there is a chance that it could be the right one already... thanks again guys always value the advise...
    I guess, I'm just hoping and asking if any others cars have had a plug in rear end housing this late in production. because when I first seen it, I didn't think it was correct at all...but with how hard these cars are because of so many changes in the year I figured I better ask and get opinions....

Bob Gaines

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

Yes I agree Bob, by possible I guess I really meant probable... This GT500 has no collision damage, is rust free(spent all but first year in it's life in California) and has low miles because I'm guessing because was used to race I'm told by owner(drag racing). the springs are original and even the u bolts and plates are original in appearance. I'm saying this not to justify housing being correct but to say I'm not seeing any real good reason that someone would have changed housing... I know that center section has been changed but the fact that it was raced might mean that gear might have broke at some point. again I agree it could have been changed I'm only asking for opinions because I would hate to have my friend find a new rear housing if there is a chance that it could be the right one already... thanks again guys always value the advise...
    I guess, I'm just hoping and asking if any others cars have had a plug in rear end housing this late in production. because when I first seen it, I didn't think it was correct at all...but with how hard these cars are because of so many changes in the year I figured I better ask and get opinions....
Given those observations it makes it harder to think it was changed. 

J_Speegle

www.ConcoursMustang.com

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 01:58:38 AM »

Noticed that I forgot to include the Ford completion date in reply #3 though I did update that reply tonight.  Sorry - didn't notice till now

Another week or so after the date being discussed

Jeff Speegle
Enthusiast, Judge, Detail Collector, ConcoursMustang.com Mentor
imming1965

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 06:49:55 AM »

thanks Jeff and Bob for the insights... I'm just going to use rear housing that I have based on the evidence that it has a 50/50 chance it might be correct and original to this car...hahaha car is on it's way to blaster next monday hope to start posting pictures and share cool findings.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!