News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

67 GT500 proper cylinder heads

Started by nwfire, November 29, 2018, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwfire

OK, I'm looking for some help on proper cylinder heads for my 67 GT500, #906.  Car presently has C8AE heads and headers on it and I'd like to return it more to stock configuration.
I purchased a set of C7AE-A cylinder heads with the 16 bolt pattern and a set of "stock" (as advertised) exhaust manifolds, numbered C60E-9430-A and C70E-9431-A.  The problem is the exhaust manifolds don't fit the 16 bolt pattern on the heads, the upper front bolt hole on the heads are off about 1/2".
I know that there were 8, 14 & 16 bolt configurations, but were the one's used on the PI engines the 14 or 16 bolt configuration??

Thanks for any help.

shelbydoug

I think that they are all the same casting, just drilled with more holes. The pattern is the same as far as I know.
I think that the 14 bolt is production line and the 16 bolt is a service part?

If you look at the 8 bolt, the undrilled castings are there for 16 bolt holes. In production on a Mustang engine compartment, you can't reach 2 of the additional locations anyway, so for the 25 cents worth of labor Ford left them undrilled.

16 bolt heads are actually 8 bolt heads with additional holes drilled for the Mustang. So that head could be used in service for a big Galaxie or a Mustang.

What I am thinking is, if you bought these heads used, probably someone other then Ford attempted to drill the additional holes and didn't have the manifolds there at the time to use as a templet.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Quote from: nwfire on November 29, 2018, 06:12:20 PM
OK, I'm looking for some help on proper cylinder heads for my 67 GT500, #906.  Car presently has C8AE heads and headers on it and I'd like to return it more to stock configuration.
I purchased a set of C7AE-A cylinder heads with the 16 bolt pattern and a set of "stock" (as advertised) exhaust manifolds, numbered C60E-9430-A and C70E-9431-A.  The problem is the exhaust manifolds don't fit the 16 bolt pattern on the heads, the upper front bolt hole on the heads are off about 1/2".
I know that there were 8, 14 & 16 bolt configurations, but were the one's used on the PI engines the 14 or 16 bolt configuration??

Thanks for any help.

Any pictures by chance?

1967 eight barrel

Quote from: nwfire on November 29, 2018, 06:12:20 PM

Thanks for any help.
You should have the 14 bolt configuration and there are no bolt holes in the lower center and both top end bolts are lower on the port than the two center upper bolts.  You didn't but them off Ebay did you? There is a guy there that does FE Ford heads with new SS valves, springs and Viton seals. He usually drills them himself and they are the even 16 bolt pattern.

Wedgeman

Here is a pic of a stock C7AE-A   GT cylinder head. 14 bolt pattern....notice the top bolt holes on the ends are slightly lower than the  others. If your heads are have the top bolt holes the same height, probably 8 bolt heads that have been drilled  out to 16 bolt holes....done a lot of times for headers

Will 428 SCJ iron manifolds bolt up to the stock 390GT (428 PI) pattern shown above in Craig's picture? Always heard that was done back in the day.

Wedgeman

here is a 428 CJ head..C8OE-N..16 bolt holes...I don't think CJ manifolds will bolt up because the top bolt hole on the end of the CJ manifold is higher than on the 390 GT head

1967 eight barrel

I have seen the 14 bolt configuration drilled with the even 16 bolt pattern. The two end exhaust ports wind up with two holes at the end position.
You also won't be able to put the engine hooks back on with the CJ manifolds.

427heaven

Ok something similar but different. Can any earlier cylinder head whether 8-14 holes be drilled properly to 16 holes, and fit in a 67 and newer Mustang or Cougar with GT exhaust manifolds or with headers? :-\

acman63

yes but the machinist has to be very good and it will cost you .  best have a real set of manifolds there to do it right
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

shelbydoug

Quote from: 427heaven on November 30, 2018, 05:54:33 PM
Ok something similar but different. Can any earlier cylinder head whether 8-14 holes be drilled properly to 16 holes, and fit in a 67 and newer Mustang or Cougar with GT exhaust manifolds or with headers? :-\

Yes I did it. You just need the set of manifolds that you are going to use there to use as patterns.
Once accurately marked and center punched, you can do it with a  hand drill and tap set.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

Ok great news, but wasn't the exhaust port lower on the heads to get the manifolds to clear the Mustangs shock towers? Another question is can an early 63 427 block, motor mounts be drilled from the 2 holes to the more common 3 hole motor mounts of later FE blocks?

pbf777

Quote from: 427heaven on November 30, 2018, 06:14:09 PM
Ok great news, but wasn't the exhaust port lower on the heads to get the manifolds to clear the Mustangs shock towers?

Answer: Not the exhaust port in the cylinder head.

QuoteAnother question is can an early 63 427 block, motor mounts be drilled from the 2 holes to the more common 3 hole motor mounts of later FE blocks?

No, the cast bosses needed on the side of the the block are not present to do such properly.     :(

Scott.

427heaven

Ok Thanks for the answer... Let me go the other way has any one used an early Fe, in a newer Mustang chassis using the old original engine mounts on the block, and then what modifications are needed to adapt to the frame mounts? :(

1967 eight barrel

I originally had C2SE-C 406 tripower heads on my Shelby. Yes, they fit. The two center lower bolts cause one to use almost every word of the four letter variety many times over as you work to get them tight.

-Keith