The Official SAAC Forum
April 24, 2017, 03:53:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 65 Race Car  (Read 1951 times)
6S1139
SAAC Member

Email
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:42:17 AM »

Recently sold at auction (R&S Scottsdale Jan 17) and now back up on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262830679574?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I did message the seller, seems genuine but wondering if anyone on here is familiar with the car.

It maybe a little too hardcore for me (tubular front end etc) and had probably had a tough life (but, that's what you get) - I missed out on a beautiful one on the CVAR website, was too slow

Just wanting something for the amateur (read that as learner) end of some track/rally fun

cheers

greg

427heaven

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »

I thought I would respond to your post. I saw that car at the auctions and say it would make a fun play car. I don't know what kind of track days car you are looking for or price range you want to be in. I am bldg. a Trans am- A Sedan 66 coupe race car replica with an A code, 4 speed, power steering car built with good guy go fast parts that should put the beat down on most weekend warriors. PM me if any interest.
Dennis

tesgt350

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »

Here is one in Tallahassee

http://tallahassee.craigslist.org/cto/5953199970.html

Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:07:39 PM »

When you learn you will not be hauling a$$ and a modern Mustang is perfect.
All you need to do is change up the brake fluid.

After a few years of instruction then you could use a fully built car with roll cage and fire suppression.
At which point a modern Mustang with a cage is a great choice.

Vintage racers require work.
My 2c

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
6S1139
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:26:02 PM »

Thanks all for the replies

I thought I would respond to your post. I saw that car at the auctions and say it would make a fun play car. I don't know what kind of track days car you are looking for or price range you want to be in. I am bldg. a Trans am- A Sedan 66 coupe race car replica with an A code, 4 speed, power steering car built with good guy go fast parts that should put the beat down on most weekend warriors. PM me if any interest.
Dennis

Thanks Dennis - working out "what I want to do" and  matching that to "what I can do - time, ability and $" is a challenge.

For me (and this is going to sound stupid I supposed) it is more about the car and less about competing. I am basically after a 65FB, that I can have some fun with and not be too concerned about originality, thinking my main use would be regularity events and then building up to some 2-3 day tarmac events (probably as a co at first, with help of an instructor eventually with me driving)

I started down a build path 12mths ago (via a local shop), unfortunately that all ended in tears with the owner turning out to be more conman than builder (cant even get the shell etc)

Budget wise I am at the low end - thinking 40k - if I can pick up something that has already been developed down that path then perfect (as mentioned, the CVAR car was ideal - https://www.corinthianvintagerace.com/forums/topic/1965-mustang-fastback/, seemed like very good value to me, great owner and interesting history)

Here is one in Tallahassee

Very nice

When you learn you will not be hauling a$$ and a modern Mustang is perfect.
My 2c

Can't argue with your pionts - guess for me it is around the 65 (I do have a new mustang, is fun I agree)

And yes I am very realistic about ability/instruction - not trying to start a new career just want to have some fun in a model/year I love

cheers

greg

SAAC Member

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:18:10 AM »

Some interesting cars have come up over here;

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-ford-mustang-5/

Been 4 or 5 in the last 6 months or so.

Bill.
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »

That car was blessed with Gary Jones (rip  Sad ) knowledge and would be a better choice than the Ebay auction, which to me would be a money pit (I can spend 20K easy on updating and rebuilding (not bodywork or paint), and I get my parts for 5% over cost and can due 90% of the work myself) unless you are doing all of the work yourself

Bill S

Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
427heaven

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 08:07:54 AM »

Thoughts on a 65 race car. Here is how I see things, anyone can go down to their local dealer and pick up a fast modern muscle car. Problem is everyone has the same thing different color I see at the car shows. These new modern marvels have engine management, traction control, suspension management and a host of other items that prevents its owner from actually driving or better yet man handling their race cars. The days of when race drivers had to control oversteer,understeer,wheel chatter,squealing tires,wagging tails are a part of vintage car handling nirvana. There is nothing like making 50 year old iron haul ass! We know that 50 year newer technology will run circles around vintage stuff but that's not the point here and no one really cares how fast anyone goes on any given track. The sight and sound of these old beasts thundering around a course on any given weekend is worth the price of admission for both participant and spectator. The sight and sound of a new Mustang or corvette is well quite boring even though they make great time around the tracks.

06 GT

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »

Nice car but "Insured by Hagerty for 50K as an authentic Shelby clone."  Head knock

6S1640

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 06:36:33 PM »

For the record.

Cory

Auction description for No. 98 car below:

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback GT350 clone race car.   At home on the track or on the street.
An originalA-Code 289 powered car, this 1965 Mustang fastback is beleived to have been sold new in California and converted into a racing car very early in its existence.   Known history back to 1980, with the car under the single ownership of a San Diego SCCA memeber in San Leandro, California until December 2001.  During this period, the Mustang was raced in SCCA GT-1 and HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing) events.  According to prior owners, the Mustang ran at tracks including Riverside, Thunderhill, Sears Point.
I bought the car from an owner who raced it in Texas.  He raced it at Texas World Speedway and at MSR Houston.   He did a lot of work to the car including detuning the car for street use down to 340hp.

This track warriar is painted and finished much like the Shelby GT350R models, including the front spoiler, fiberglass hood, fiberglass deck lid, rear spoiler, and fender flares.  It retains its original SCCA fire system and rollcage, and is currently set up as a 1970's vintage SCCA GT1 racecar.

Th car sits low and wide.   Looks amazing and sounds great.   a nioce mix of track and street.  

Ford 302 with 351 heads
4 speed top loader with reverse lockout
12 gallon fuel cell
Optima Battery
Painless Performance Products electrical
MSD Ignition
Full Roll Cage
Hot Lap Timer

Street or track.   Runs strong and is very quick

Feel free to contact me with any questions.   Please come take a look.   Car is located in Scottsdale Arizona

* RaceCloneNo98gumbballFeb2017A.jpg (58.24 KB, 800x512 - viewed 50 times.)

* TallahasseeGT350RcloneFeb2017.jpg (90.56 KB, 800x656 - viewed 56 times.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:43:09 PM by 6S1640 » Logged
6S1139
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 05:10:00 PM »

Hi all

Just to close this out, have done a deal and hopefully the car is loaded onto a boat later this week bound for AU

Not quite as much at the "race" end of the spectrum but probably enough for me and the price was good (well I thought it was), owner is great and the transaction (so far) has been easy and enjoyable - ebay 182476781620

Ebay description (sorry about the formating)

1965 Ford Mustang A code Fastback GT350/GT350R tribute car.

This is a street-able track car or a track-able street car.  Solid daily driver and one of the cleaner cars you'll find on a race track.  This is not a trailer queen, this is a really nice driver.
This car was rebuilt, repainted in 2005, $8K spent on the engine alone, 347 Stroker, 400hp, ford racing block, aluminum SVO heads, roller valve train, headers to 3" side pipes.
Just installed Canton Racing large capacity wet sump oil pan and also has Accusump accumulator system with electric switch under the dash.
Battery relocated to trunk, racing fuel cell, full roll cage, ProCar racing seats and four point harnesses.
World Class T5 five speed transmission, with competition Hurst shifter, racing clutch, Pro-Shift light on steering column.
Carroll Shelby Tach/gauge pod on dash, heater, am/fm/cassette radio with power antenna, original Deluxe woodgrain steering wheel.
Car is plumbed for NOS but not completed, switch under dash, most parts are included to finish if you are into that.
Carb is Holley 650 double pumper, rebuilt six months ago along with a full tuneup, new plugs, wires, replaced distributor, all filters, new solenoid on dry sump.
Recently rebuilt 9" posi rear end, new axle seals, wheel bearings, wheel cylinders.  Amazing how this maintains control when the car launches and shifts.  Suspension set to racing stance with front camber, oversized sway bars.
Front disc brakes, rear drums, both front and rear valence/scoops have active brake venting.
Only driven 5400 miles since build, only washed four times in the last six years, always garaged and covered.
Vintage 15" American Racing Torq Thrust wheels, front tires 215/60R15 and rear 225/60R15 with plenty of tread.  Included is a spare set of four Magnum 500 wheels and tires.
Currently no rocker stripes, they are included if you want the full GT350 look.  Or if you don't, I'm including standard Pony badges to swap.
No rust, dents, damage - as expected minor paint chips/scratches/cracks, few scrapes on the front/rear glass, a few minor dings have been repaired.  Zoom into the photos and you will not notice any concerning issues.
California Black License Plates (real black plates) - Note: front plate in photos is paper, I will include both black plates in sale, clear title with valid California registration.
Included spare parts:  New upholstery for original seats (original front seats not included), NoS parts, starters, clutch cable, rocker panel stripes, pony emblems, spare set of 4 Magnum 500 wheels/tires (great for having a set of street and track tires), oil pan, distributor, and a bunch of other random parts.
This car needs nothing, I'm moving on to other projects - as with any older car there may be unknown issues, I've provided information to the best of my knowledge.

* saac1.jpg (68.54 KB, 640x427 - viewed 72 times.)

* saac2.jpg (60.8 KB, 640x427 - viewed 74 times.)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 05:36:08 PM by 6S1139 » Logged
Bigfoot
SAAC Member

RIP KIWI

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2017, 06:40:51 PM »

Enjoy

**********RIP KIWI*********
Can YOU solve the Rubik's Cube?
Illinicane

'65 GT350, '68 GT500

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »

Congrats!

Proud owner of two Shelby's.
Proud member of SAAC.
Proud contributor of Windy City SAAC Region
Chris NOS

5S241 proud owner

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »

Looks good ! congratulations!

6S1139
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 05:47:13 PM »

Thanks all - keen to have something I can play with without the fear of originality Smiley

Quick question (have had an inspection, not overly concerned about the cosmetic stuff, paint/panel is not perfect etc)

But wanted to ask about this (pics), that cracking simply age or stress on a poor quality paint job or pointing to something more serious ? (and yep, looks like he owns a window sealing company Smiley)

* saac3.jpg (71.15 KB, 800x534 - viewed 29 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!