The Official SAAC Forum
December 11, 2017, 12:49:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [Research] Shelby Dealer Codes & Map  (Read 1527 times)
67-0139 / Styles

May 2017 Issue

« on: December 23, 2016, 10:02:09 PM »

Part 1: A visual world map of Shelby dealers.

The data isn't complete, and there are a couple errors and questions I've come up with. For example, I've found a couple dealers duplicated with different dealer codes. Since the data is obtained from two different sources, I'll probably just have to wait to see which one ends up being the error after a larger sampling is input.

Though the current printings of the registries include a dealer listing (65-76 registry pp 1312-1314, 68-70 registry pp 1453-1455), this data was not taken from those pages, as the data is (a) not complete enough and (b) I don't know how the sequential numbering assignment was obtained.

The goal, if it is something that others would appreciate, would be to continue to populate my data tables to track which dealers sold which cars. That would give us what's commonly referred to as a "heat map." The data used to create the linked heat map does include a small sampling of cars for which I've been able to scrape the Vehicle Order Card (typically found on a car's Marti Report).

Anyway, here's the sample map with about 150 dealers so far. The 'heat' is based on the quantity of 1967 model year G.T. cars sold by that dealer). Again, a very small sampling of cars at this point to test the concept. The pins are interactive. e.g. You can click on a pin and get more information.

https://maps.esp.tl/maps/_Shelby-Dealers/pages/map.jsp?geoMapId=267667&TENANT_ID=173740

Part 2:

The question i currently have related to this research is: Does anyone know the method for decoding a Ford dealer code?

Back in the era we're dealing with, the code was 5 characters, for example:
Dealer code 32B017 = Marshall Motor Co. in Mayfield Heights, OH

The first digit is the region: 1-7 in US, 8 = International, B = Canada
Example: Region 1 includes ME, NH, MA and 7 includes: WA, OR, CA, ID, MT, AZ
Second digit, always numeric, is the district within the region?

fourth-sixth digits, numeric, are a sequential code to specifically identify the dealer within the region/district.

Third digit, always a letter, is the unknown.
Range found in my data sampling: A-P
International (non-Canadian) dealers = E (always)
Note: I have found Tasca Ford to have both a C and an E for the third character. Could just be a typo on a specific car's VOC?

EDIT: Found a topic over on VMF that indicated this character might be the "Zone" within the district.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 06:03:11 PM by 67-0139 / Styles » Logged

Research and documentation on the 1967 G.T. 500 Convertible and the 1967 Shelby Program @ www.1967shelbyconvertible.com
SAAC Member

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »

If the dealer who originally sold our car is not shown on the map, are we to mention it here?

SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 11:29:24 PM »

For Robert loud ford you misspelled the city name it is pasadena..

SFM6S087

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 01:58:28 AM »

If the dealer who originally sold our car is not shown on the map, are we to mention it here?

And would you only want the dealers for 1967 cars?

martyjac
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:44:37 AM »

The first two digits are the distric codes and it's the same code used as the prefix for all DSO orders. They are all listed in the shop manuals for the US and Canada. Note that there were fewer regions for Lincoln Mercury.

67-0139 / Styles

May 2017 Issue

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 04:28:28 PM »

Honestly, there's so few cars sales included in the heat map (maybe around 50, and all 1967 cars at this point), that it doesn't make sense to grow this thread with those sort of replies. There are already people with ALL the data (Registrars & Marti) and if they ever wanted to do something like this, it should be easy for them. For me ... it would be daunting task of re-collecting the data that already exists elsewhere...  The published heat map was merely a "how cool is this -- this is what could be done with the data -- proof of concept." That said, I'd be glad to continue to do it, provided y'all want it!

FYI - the data for the linked heat map has been scraped from Marti reports and VOCs that I and others have found. That said, if anyone wants to email me a copy of your Marti report (photo or scan), the data from it will be added to my visual map project and the dealer car sales totals I am assembling. It will probably never be complete, but enough of a sampling will show us some cool trends!

And would you only want the dealers for 1967 cars?

Well, the way I've designed my spreadsheet, it can handle subtotals for each model year car. Currently, my table, and the resulting map only reflect 1967 cars because that is what I was concentrating on. If car data is sent to me, regardless of year, it will be incorporated, but again, no promise as to how complete this endeavor may ever be...

-Brian

« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:03:38 PM by 67-0139 / Styles » Logged

Research and documentation on the 1967 G.T. 500 Convertible and the 1967 Shelby Program @ www.1967shelbyconvertible.com
67-0139 / Styles

May 2017 Issue

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »

For Robert loud ford you misspelled the city name it is pasadena..

Impossible. I don't make mistakes.... Just ask Samantha.

All kidding aside, I've corrected the typo and it will be reflected the next time I gather enough new data to warrant an update.

-Brian

67-0139 / Styles

May 2017 Issue

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 04:40:50 PM »

The first two digits are the distric codes and it's the same code used as the prefix for all DSO orders. They are all listed in the shop manuals for the US and Canada. Note that there were fewer regions for Lincoln Mercury.

Yes, the first two digits are the 'district code,' however, what I was pointing out is how the district code can be further broken down into region+district. i.e. a district includes a region.

e.g. California is in Region 7.
District 71, which, as the 7 points out, is in region 7, which includes California, and the 1 further refines the area to Southern California.
As another example, District 72 would be Northern California.

As I get more data, I'll draw this out on a map and it will make even more sense.

Region/District borders lines may have changed over the years 65-70, which might require different maps for different years. Again, too soon to tell until much more data is analysed, and really didn't want to take this too far in case someone else already did it Smiley

-Brian

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!