The Official SAAC Forum
December 17, 2017, 08:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up Kelsey Hayes calipers  (Read 1669 times)
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« on: October 22, 2016, 02:04:37 AM »

Hi guys, chasing some advice. My front calipers work fine but have been painted black at some stage. I am not keen to play around too much with them ie complete rebuild. How can I remove this paint to original finish? Is stripper going to stuff them? 

Thanks in advance
Cheers

6S273
Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:46:46 AM »

Hi guys, chasing some advice. My front calipers work fine but have been painted black at some stage. I am not keen to play around too much with them ie complete rebuild. How can I remove this paint to original finish? Is stripper going to stuff them?  

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Unless you are going to show in Premiere class and assuming the black paint is stable and not flaking off and not thick like painted on with a brush ,I might suggest a alternative. Clean the outside surface and then go over again with a paint prep like product to get rid of oil and paint over the black outside half with aluma blast or similar non smudge aluminum paint and the inside half with cast iron faux finish paint. The bolts would be a darker heat treated steel so refinish them with gun blueing. Just a non evasive alternative

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 03:08:45 PM »

Thanks Bob, I think that's a good idea, I'll have a look and let you know

Cheers

6S273
zray

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 06:21:21 PM »

Not a concours solution,but this place does great work restoring calipers. They've done serfs like sets of my early K-H calipers. And they can coat them with a finish that's clear, or any color you want, but it won't trap heat like paint does.

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com

Z

Bob Gaines

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 07:13:14 PM »

Not a concours solution,but this place does great work restoring calipers. They've done serfs like sets of my early K-H calipers. And they can coat them with a finish that's clear, or any color you want, but it won't trap heat like paint does.

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com

Z

Restoring was specifically not a option wanted in the first post - " I am not keen to play around too much with them ie complete rebuild."  If it was I would have suggested Shelby Parts And Restoration . FYI the paint will not adversely effect the calipers unless if a track car.

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
zray

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 11:12:04 PM »

Bob, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Z

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 02:05:52 AM »

Cheers guys, the complete rebuild is on the card one day but for now i am going to go with Less is more

6S273
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!