The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 08:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleaning up cobra buddy bars  (Read 2863 times)
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« on: September 19, 2016, 10:00:16 PM »

Hi guys, cleaning up a set of buddy bar valve covers. Any advice on best way to do it? Simple stuff and buff to get the fins to shine? Aluminium polish?
Cheers

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:22:58 PM by GT350Lad » Logged

6S273
silverton_ford
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 10:07:44 PM »

I am currently cleaning an intake using WD-40.  The intake was black when I started from years and years of grease and gunk.  I let it soak in a bucket and then use a soft bristle brush to scrub off the gunk.  It is working well, but slow.   Although it isn't tampering with the original finish.   There may be other forms of cleaning as well that I don't know about.

Thank you,  Brian

My Cars:
1966 Mustang FB C-code
1969 Fairlane Cobra FB 428CJ - 4spd
Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 10:59:50 PM »

Hi guys, cleaning up a set of buddy bar valve covers. Any advice on best way to do it? Simple stuff and buff to get the fins to shine? Aluminium polish?
Cheers
Wire wheel cleaner . I use Eagle one brand . I am not sure if available down under or the equivalent. Scrub with a hard bristle plastic brush and rinse . If real greasy you may have to start out with lacquer thinner or carb cleaner and move on to the wire wheel cleaner . Be sure to do in well ventilated area . all these  products produce fumes and the lacquer or carb cleaner are highly flammable.  You might have to do this 2 or 3 times with the wheel cleaner and rinse procedure depending on how bad they were to begin with .  You will have to go back in and go over the fins with a aluminum polish like Mothers or Semi Chrome to shine them up. I hope this helps. Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 01:02:56 AM »

Thanks guys, Bob you are the guru as always. 

Cheers

6S273
Dan Case

CSX2310

Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »

see also, same general methods for aluminum castings

http://saacforum.com/index.php?topic=35306.0

Dan Case (a.k.a. rr64)
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.
Don Johnston

Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »

Be careful on wheel cleaners for non-protective (no coating) aluminum items.  They do work well to get rid of the white corrosion but as they are acid based, the surface needs to be neutralized as soon as it is rinsed.  Some cleaners come with a two part cleaner and neutralizer.  If not, use a water base solution of baking soda, to prevent smutting (blackening) and extra pitting.  Even the dawn soap rinse works.  Before any acid cleaner is used, all grease or oild has to be removed either with a detergent rinse or solvent (brake or carb cleaner). 

Do not do any heavy chemical  treatment with the aluminum parts attached to the engine.

The results are very nice when done properly.   Cool

KYSHELBYGT350
SAAC Member

6S102, Boss302 Laguna Seca, 67 Fastback, 68 Coupe

Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »

Could someone post a good photo of a properly restored Buddy Bar valve covers? Thank you in advance.

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 06:54:56 PM »

I was planning what Bob said, I got "eagle one wheel and tyre cleaner" in an orange bottle which is non acid based and as going to use that followed by mothers aliminium polish on the fins?

Sound reasonable and safe?

Cheers

6S273
Bob Gaines

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:55 PM »

I was planning what Bob said, I got "eagle one wheel and tyre cleaner" in an orange bottle which is non acid based and as going to use that followed by mothers aliminium polish on the fins?

Sound reasonable and safe?

Cheers
Safe ?Yes I think so because it is so mild.  I hesitate to comment on if it will work well because that is not the product I use for the aluminum intake ,valve cover etc. cleaning. I typically use that product for cleaning grime from around painted areas because it is so mild and will not dull weaker spray can paint.  I use the Eagle One "wire wheel cleaner" not the Eagle One "wheel and tire cleaner". They are two completely different products and formulas.  The acid in the wash is what cleans out the pores and bleaches the stained aluminum back .  I have used the acid version for years with no problems of neutralizing etc. etc. If that was a big problem don't you think there would be the same issue of neutralizing when used on wheels?  Wink.  It is after all a wheel cleaning product. You have to be careful but it is not battery acid your using .  Roll Eyes  I was only relating what has worked for me over and over again. Others comfort level may be different.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:05:52 PM by Bob Gaines » Logged

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:25:45 AM »

Thanks Bob, ill have a go with the mild stuff, if it doesn't do the trick I'll grab something else that a bit more like you said. I might get it online.

I'll let you know

Thanks again

6S273
GT350AUS

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 01:58:04 AM »

Trent,

Once you get them cleaned to your satisfaction you can use "Autosol" to polish the fins. 

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 05:24:14 AM »

Thanks it's good stuff I think I have a tube somewhere

6S273
KYSHELBYGT350
SAAC Member

6S102, Boss302 Laguna Seca, 67 Fastback, 68 Coupe

Email
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »

If you can post a before and after, show us your elbow grease skills.

GT350Lad
SAAC Member

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 02:11:05 AM »

Will do! but in honesty they aren't that bad, the polished fins will look great

Cheers

6S273
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!