Author Topic: How manufacturer resentment is created  (Read 8053 times)

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
How manufacturer resentment is created
« on: January 28, 2018, 01:04:23 PM »
My resentment of Chevrolet (which has lessened greatly as I aged, but still won't buy one) started in high school.  My grandmother bought me a 1969 Mustang coupe when I was 14 years old.  It sat, therefore, in the driveway for a good two years before I could drive it.  When I did begin to drive the little red coupe, an automatic with a basic 302 engine, that's when the trouble began.  I loved that car and still miss it.  A guy in my class owned a 69 Camaro with a 396 and I endured unending taunts about my car, unprovoked insults about how Ford was crap and Mustangs were trash.  That was a polarizing moment for me that turned me against Chevrolet.  It was only magnified by another guy who owned a 70 Camaro who joined in with the taunts.  I hurled insults back, but this was my defining moment that made me a die hard Ford guy and considered Chevrolet the enemy.  Not to mention that I lusted after a Shelby Mustang shortly afterward.  I've never had bad feelings about Mopar though and I love Porsches old Mercedes, Lamborghinis and so on.  My father owned a 1946 red Indian Chief motorcycle and said that Harley riders figuratively spat upon him and his Indian.  He sold it for $500 but does look back and reminisces about it every once in a while.  Anyone else with such polarizing experiences.  I mean this is only one of many layers to explain why somebody resents a car brand,
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
Re: How manufacturer resentment is created
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:27:52 PM »
Absolutely.

In high-performance boating, if it isn't Chevrolet, it's garbage.

Spent the better part of 25 years embarrassing big power Chevrolet boats with my big block Ford powered boats.

69 GT350 Vert

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »
I think we all put up with craziness from others during teenage years.  I don't hold anything against those guys that said and did things against me back then any longer. 

Most of them never earned more than $15/hour and some are dead, and/or in prison, now. 

Two of my best friends own Corvettes. 

My love of Shelbys and Mustangs occurred because the first muscle car I ever saw was a 1970 Mach 1 with a 428CJ.  My first car was a '70 Mach 1.     

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
I used to hear all the Chevy crap in high school but eventually got my vengeance. I had a 66 K code coupe in high school. When I got out I emerssed  my self in Fords Muscle Parts book s and bulletins. Armed now with headers, high rise, 700 Holley double pumper, GT 40 cam and finally; 5:14 gears and slicks, I terrorized my area. Did a lot of street racing in the 70’s as well as  being super Stock M record holder at Kearney Dragway, Kearney Nebraska. Sold it in 2010 for a GT500 then put the 660 hp Ford supercharger  upgrade on it. Caught a lot of crap from my friends for selling the old gal but nothing lasts forever.

Rex

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
I used to hear all the Chevy crap in high school but eventually got my vengeance. I had a 66 K code coupe in high school. When I got out I emerssed  my self in Fords Muscle Parts book s and bulletins. Armed now with headers, high rise, 700 Holley double pumper, GT 40 cam and finally; 5:14 gears and slicks, I terrorized my area. Did a lot of street racing in the 70’s as well as  being super Stock M record holder at Kearney Dragway, Kearney Nebraska. Sold it in 2010 for a GT500 then put the 660 hp Ford supercharger  upgrade on it. Caught a lot of crap from my friends for selling the old gal but nothing lasts forever.

Do now have a 70 Gabber Orange 16,000 mile Boss 302 so the road goes on forever, I guess!

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
For the record, there are a lot of GM cars I really like.

C2 and Chrome C3's, Love the C7
Gen I and Early Gen II Camaros and Firebirds
Eldorado and Tornado
GTO's and Chevelles

1 and only 1 Chrysler;
1970 Cuda

deathsled

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 01:56:33 PM »
All points well taken.  I have a friend in Chicago.  He owns a Porsche 911.  We met at Road America to watch the WeatherTech race but he left about half way through because the Ford GT was destroying the Porsches.  I stayed to the end to see the GT win.  We can take it personally so I understand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:59:43 PM by deathsled »
"Low she sits on five spoke wheels
Small block eight so live she feels
There she's parked beside the curb
Engine revving to disturb
She's the princess from his past
Red paint gold stripes damned she's fast"

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
I just don’t like the Foreign crap because I’m a Patriot.
And I just don’t know why people buy Subarus.

Some of those German and Italian cars are attractive looking and fast but no need for them.
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bigfoot

• Forum 1.0 posts: 8815
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »
I don’t mind driving my LS6 one bit!
RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
  Well, same thing back in the 60's.  Some friend of mine had an uncle who owned a 65 Mustang.  That one rusted out in 3 years so that made EVERY Ford all bad.  He liked Chevys.  I guess he never noticed that, here in the rust belt, they too lasted 3 years or so.
  Now, when I sit at a stoplight I can't help but notice all the GM cars that have rusted away rockers.  Mostly GM cars!  They're only 5-8 years old.  No way I'll ever buy a GM car.

6R07mi

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 12:34:42 PM »
Every manufacturer builds some good cars, and some bad.
Vega, Pinto, rusty Honda's......

However Ford took the tough road and didn't take government bailout $'s,
I have family members that got shafted in the GM bonds that were turned to worthless paper in violation of 200 yrs of US bankruptcy law.
I'm not trying to go into political issues, just that there was a decision to take a very different path out.
I'll give Ford props for not following the herd.

Great read is Alan Mulally's book ! " American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company"

regards,
jp
Former owner 6S283, 70 "Boss351", 66 GT 6F07, 67 FB GT
current: 66 GT former day 2 track car 6R07
20+ yrs Ford Parts Mgr, now Meritor Defense

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 05:40:11 PM »
^^^^that is a very good book.

When I read the thread title, I was fully prepared to read about the ADM's Ford dealer routinely put on performance products.