Author Topic: Sand Cast GT500 Air Cleaner Base  (Read 9946 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Cast GT500 Air Cleaner Base
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2018, 09:25:42 AM »
The 66 and 67 R code Fairlanes shares the same air cleaner base with the 67 GT500.  There are actually 2 types, one has a closed emissions and the other is open.  If the car was bound for the West coast it had the closed emission with the elbow and the East coast did not.

The 67 GT500's all used the elbow.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
True but since the 427 and 428 cars were generally run harder than their small block cousins most all used the closed nipple system to prevent breathing noxious fumes and having oily residue all over your inner fender wells to clean up all the time. Weather your car came original with it or not its just a nice THING to have. :)

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2018, 10:54:32 AM »
The 66 and 67 R code Fairlanes shares the same air cleaner base with the 67 GT500.  There are actually 2 types, one has a closed emissions and the other is open.  If the car was bound for the West coast it had the closed emission with the elbow and the East coast did not.

The 67 GT500's all used the elbow.
+1 . Maybe 2 different on the Fairlane but not GT500.  Just one type on the GT500. Even the GT500 with thermactor. It was connected to the oil fill tube on the intake in that case using a special oil fill tube.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SFM5S159

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:54 PM »
Here are pics of what I have...

'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

onelimegold

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2018, 06:20:54 PM »
by the way what is the use of this elbow in front  ?  i see pcv hose connected to it but isn t on the intake that this hose goes to  ?do i need to put a cap on it or let it opened ?? thx

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 07:04:16 PM »
by the way what is the use of this elbow in front  ?  i see pcv hose connected to it but isn t on the intake that this hose goes to  ?do i need to put a cap on it or let it opened ?? thx

Since it connects to the oil-fill tube, with a check valve, I would venture it is to create a small amount of crank case vacuum, which helps prevent foaming oil, but I think it was designed to capture excess fumes created by blow-by and suck them thru the combustion process.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »
Here are pics of what I have...

What you have is a repro top and a original base that someone has taken the crimped in sheet metal elbow out of. The elbow was routed by way of hose to the PCV valve on the standard set up from the factory . The thermactor system had a short hose going to the special for thermactor oil fill tube with a check valve in between. With that said if you are going to pleasure drive your car then on the standard set up instead of running  the PCV valve hose  to the elbow , you run the PCV valve  hose to a hose fitting (brass like on GT350 PCV) fitted to the forward most plug on the C7ZX intake (of course pass side). This allows the PCV to work like it is supposed to. If you are concerned about looking the assemblyline way then run to the elbow on the air cleaner base. If not that concerned about assemblyline look and more concerned about function to run to the forward ported fitting. You choose. PS if not going to put a elbow back in and run to ported fitting then use a plug for the hole . A electrical box plug works well for this. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 07:54:23 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:11 PM »
My base needs the tube also. Someone must make them somewhere?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 10:04:25 PM »
Here is an original for a 66 R code Fairlane
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 10:45:17 PM »
FYI the sand cast base elbow is a different shape then the the diecast base elbow pictured . The elbow is curved on the diecast base.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 03:35:49 AM »

Not every part for our cars is available but that is part of the enjoyment of the process of restoration. Had to make the last one I needed.

FYI the sand cast base elbow is a different shape then the the diecast base elbow pictured . The elbow is curved on the diecast base.

Does this help?

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
Well looks like I need to buy a bead roller and tubing bender. Should it be galvanized steel tubing?

Since I don't have one to copy, what od tubing is this thing?

I'm just enjoying the heck out of making these parts! Thanks for sharing Jeff!  8)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 08:12:20 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 12:17:47 PM »
Well looks like I need to buy a bead roller and tubing bender. Should it be galvanized steel tubing?

I'm just enjoying the heck out of making these parts! Thanks for sharing Jeff!  8)
Using the picture Jeff provided as a reference I would try and salvage one from a 68 or 69 smallblock Mustang air cleaner assembly  ;) .

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »

Using the picture Jeff provided as a reference I would try and salvage one from a 68 or 69 smallblock Mustang air cleaner assembly  ;) .

I already tried that. I bought a regular air cleaner base.

What happens is the end that has to go through the casting base isn't long enough.

Remember that nipple was made to be just long enough for the sheet metal. The aluminum is at least 1/4" thick at it's thinnest and if I remember correctly, is more then 3/8" thick at that point because of the cast in mounting boss.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
Remember that nipple was made to be just long enough for the sheet metal. The aluminum is at least 1/4" thick at it's thinnest and if I remember correctly, is more then 3/8" thick at that point because of the cast in mounting boss.

Since it will not be seen from inside the air cleaner sure you can come up with a creative way to make it work (using one from a donor Mustang air cleaner)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge