News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Sand Cast GT500 Air Cleaner Base

Started by Fast Fords, January 28, 2018, 12:28:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast Fords

I have a question about a sand cast air cleaner base on a GT500. I was wondering, is the base flat on the bottom with just the elbow or does it have the ribs on it with part number like the aluminum one? Thanks for any help...Greg.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on January 28, 2018, 12:28:48 PM
I have a question about a sand cast air cleaner base on a GT500. I was wondering, is the base flat on the bottom with just the elbow or does it have the ribs on it with part number like the aluminum one? Thanks for any help...Greg.
The early later sand cast base is thicker so it does not need the strengthening ribs like the thinner die cast base. The sand cast bottom is smooth relatively speaking. More important for identification however is the elbow in the front. The original type used on the GT500 had a steel elbow added later and is crimped in . It will swivel with a little persistence. The elbow is not cast in place as part of the base.Those are repros.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fast Fords

Thanks for the reply Bob.

The elbow on the one I have appears to be threaded into the base and it does feel heavier. Is that correct? Thanks...Greg.

acman63

anyone that can post pics of an original base?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

67_1183

2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976

SFM5S159

My base has an almost shiny appearance to it.  it does have a part number, but I think it's missing the elbow.  Do any of the factory bases have a "shine" to them?
I will post a pic when I am able.

Mike
'65 GT350, '67 GT500, '65 289 Cobra

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM5S159 on February 02, 2018, 04:44:44 PM
My base has an almost shiny appearance to it.  it does have a part number, but I think it's missing the elbow.  Do any of the factory bases have a "shine" to them?

Mike
The shiny could be the result of a previous restoration attempt. The shine more likely is a indication of a newer repro part. No elbow , sand cast elbow or added screw on, bolted on etc. elbow is the most visible and obvious "tell" for the sand cast base.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Fast Fords

Here are two pics of my base and two pics of the top of the air cleaner I picked up. The top has curved leg on the R, the O appears wider than it is tall but I do not see any rectangle around COBRA and no casting circles on the bottom. The base has a nipple that is threaded in and appears to be reinforced where it comes through the base. What do you guys think,real or repro?  Thanks....Greg.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: SFM5S159 on February 02, 2018, 04:44:44 PM

Mike
Mike what is the part number? I have never seen a sand cast base with a part number. I have seen base plates with the elbow missing and just the hole before but those have always been the die cast ones . I have never seen a sand cast base where the elbow has been removed but i suppose it could happen. The shiny appearance bothers me. I have only seen that on newer repros.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on February 02, 2018, 09:51:57 PM
Here are two pics of my base and two pics of the top of the air cleaner I picked up. The top has curved leg on the R, the O appears wider than it is tall but I do not see any rectangle around COBRA and no casting circles on the bottom. The base has a nipple that is threaded in and appears to be reinforced where it comes through the base. What do you guys think,real or repro?  Thanks....Greg.
Sorry to report that it appears to be a repro mainly by the non original elbow.

Fast Fords

Bob, could it be the elbow became loose and previos owner threaded in an elbow?

What about the top of the lid. Has curved leg and the correct looking O but is missing a couple of the other features? Thanks.

427heaven

Most originals I have seen have the STRAIGHT leg  R top and a curved 90 degree swedged nipple bottom, many have all types of nipples fabricated to work on the repros. Its almost impossible to replicate that original nipple that's why so many variations exist for the 67s.

shelbydoug

I need a new elbow for mine. Does anyone make them?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Greg

The 66 and 67 R code Fairlanes shares the same air cleaner base with the 67 GT500.  There are actually 2 types, one has a closed emissions and the other is open.  If the car was bound for the West coast it had the closed emission with the elbow and the East coast did not. 
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1