The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 01:59:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 68 G.T 500 spark plug change  (Read 2023 times)
shelby001

« on: July 28, 2016, 02:57:21 PM »

How many have changed plugs on these beasts & any tricks I should know to help get them out & back in. Sure is not a lot of room to work on them.

corbins

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 03:04:58 PM »

Yes...remove valve covers, take out motor mount bolts (one side at a time) then just use a jack to cock the engine up a little bit. A double swivel socket is helpful as well.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:33:44 PM »

Yes...remove valve covers, take out motor mount bolts (one side at a time) then just use a jack to cock the engine up a little bit. A double swivel socket is helpful as well.
Easier as mentioned . Some of us have gotten adept at doing this with just the double swivel socket and a extension. Better to do this on a cool engine or be ready for the ouch  Shocked .

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
shelby001

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 10:26:52 AM »

Got them in without removing motor mounts or valve covers ,but a real pain getting some of them started on the thread. I had to remove the brake line to get my hand in on #8 .  Looking at the master cylinder that is only 1/2" away from the shock tower how would one change it as the studs to the booster along with master cylinder flange are more than a 1/2" . I `am thinking the studs would have to be removed first? Anyone?

Bob Gaines

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:07:05 AM »

Got them in without removing motor mounts or valve covers ,but a real pain getting some of them started on the thread. I had to remove the brake line to get my hand in on #8 .  Looking at the master cylinder that is only 1/2" away from the shock tower how would one change it as the studs to the booster along with master cylinder flange are more than a 1/2" . I `am thinking the studs would have to be removed first? Anyone?
You can take the valve cover off for more room but like the spark plugs don't have to. Then after removing nuts and lines move the master in the forward direction. There is enough wiggle to turn it past the shock tower.

VTGT500

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2016, 02:16:50 PM »

More than one way to do it.  I have headers and get access to the plugs by removing the export brace & valve covers.  Buy a deep socket that has an external hex on the drive end.  Use a combination wrench on the socket.  Coat new plug threads with nickel anti seize.  Use a short, rubber tube on the tip of the plug as to spin with finger tips.  Don't over tighten. Typically do a solid lifter valve adjustment at the same time.  Count on 2-3 hrs.

GT350AUS

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2016, 04:23:47 PM »

I'm guessing this is the same for a KR??

No other hurdles or skeletons in the cupboard??

Bob Gaines

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2016, 06:22:49 PM »

I'm guessing this is the same for a KR??

No other hurdles or skeletons in the cupboard??

Same same.

propayne

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2016, 06:27:29 PM »

A concourse car not withstanding, what would be the best brand of present day spark plug to use, in terms of lasting the longest between changes?

- Phillip

GT350AUS

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 06:28:52 PM »

Kind of guessed as much, just thought somone had a magic wand for KR's.  Grin

sportyworty

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 06:47:04 PM »

I use an old long ribbed spark plug boot to start a few of them. Get a dedicated swivel spark plug socket and long extension. 30 min job with the right tools

8F91R 577646
8F01R 210245
GT350AUS

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »

I use an old long ribbed spark plug boot to start a few of them. Get a dedicated swivel spark plug socket and long extension. 30 min job with the right tools

Can you post a picture of your "Ribbed spark plug boot" for reference

shelby001

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 07:41:24 PM »

I used a spark plug boot & also some fuel line hose for added length but still was hard to get the right angle to get the plug started especially when its just by feel.

shelby001

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 02:57:02 PM »

A concourse car not withstanding, what would be the best brand of present day spark plug to use, in terms of lasting the longest between changes?

- Phillip

I`am not sure of present spark plugs but I used BF-32 Autolites the original plugs have lasted many years & with a new set of originals they should last along time as the car isn`t driven daily. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!