Author Topic: Can someone post a picture of an original 66 tach?  (Read 2820 times)

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Can someone post a picture of an original 66 tach?
« on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:35 PM »
As indicated in a previous post, the old site had a tach comparison and I would appreciate learning the differences in repo's and original ones if someone would care to share.

Thanks, Greg
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

SFM6S087

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone post a picture of an original 66 tach?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »
I believe I got this picture from the old forum. Sorry I don't know who to give credit to for this.

Steve
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:55:25 PM by SFM6S087 »

kingchief

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
Cory originally posted this I believe.  His screen name is: 6S1640.  He is a wealth of information as is their SAAC group in Washington.

Cheers,

Steve
SFM 6S406

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:18 PM »
Car 1431 has the tach on the upper right
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 09:09:01 PM »
Great to see the differences, thanks!
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
Cory originally posted this I believe.  His screen name is: 6S1640.  He is a wealth of information as is their SAAC group in Washington.

Cheers,

Steve

Yes, Cory posted those on Forum 1.0, great stuff! I have seen the OTC version in the photo lower left with a date code of May 1966 so I assume it's possible some very late cars did get that style?
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »
I think you'll find that the OTC versions were used to replace defective originals or replacements after the original was stolen in many cases. Haven't found them used on later unrestored cars I know an have pictures of or there would have been no reason to make two different versions at the same time unless they wanted to be able to tell the difference. Just an observation.

Know at least a couple of guys who restamped the dates on the OTC tachs in the past.  Just reporting  ::)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 11:39:35 PM »
I think you'll find that the OTC versions were used to replace defective originals or replacements after the original was stolen in many cases. Haven't found them used on later unrestored cars I know an have pictures of or there would have been no reason to make two different versions at the same time unless they wanted to be able to tell the difference. Just an observation.

Know at least a couple of guys who restamped the dates on the OTC tachs in the past.  Just reporting  ::)
I agree that the OTC tach found their way on cars that originally didn't come with them . It was much easier to buy a new over the counter version then to have a original fixed back in the day is just one explanation. You can have the anything is possible category to explain a out of the ordinary circumstance. I choose to put the OTC tach as SA assemblyline original in the unlikely category based on my and many others observations over the years.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:35 AM »
Totally agree a number of cars got the OTC tach as replacements for failed (and stolen) originals, my 66 has one, dated June 67, and documented by the original owner. Just pointing out the earliest example I have seen of that OTC style has a May 66 date. I guess it could be a restamp but assuming for the sake of discussion it is legit...could that style have been installed at SA on very late cars that were completed after May 66? If the difference was just a manufacturing production change would SA really care or just installed what was available? Not trying to rock the boat, just make sense of what I have seen...
Dave - 6S1757

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 04:24:06 AM »
....If the difference was just a manufacturing production change would SA really care or just installed what was available? Not trying to rock the boat, just make sense of what I have seen...

I think you may be assuming that there are not late 66 style/versions out there dated after May 66 and for that reason your thinking it was a change in production rather than different versions being produced at the same time for different purposes.

There are other suppliers for Shelby that also made other versions of the parts than just the one that was being installed at Shelby, that were sold over the counter, through parts stores, catalogs and outlets.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

6s2020

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 06:25:21 AM »
2020s original tach is the "mid to late"in the photos above.
2020 was ordered 7/7/66 delivered 7/11/66 to HI-PO Motors.
Date on Tach from memory is June 66

s2ms

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • 6S1757 Info
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 12:38:18 PM »
I think you may be assuming that there are not late 66 style/versions out there dated after May 66 and for that reason your thinking it was a change in production rather than different versions being produced at the same time for different purposes.

There are other suppliers for Shelby that also made other versions of the parts than just the one that was being installed at Shelby, that were sold over the counter, through parts stores, catalogs and outlets.

Jeff,

I'm well aware there are OE late assembly line versions dated after May 66. According to my notes the latest date I have seen in that style is Oct 66, and based on the stampings the OTC May 66 and OE Oct 66 tachs were both made by Faria. Simply wondering if the OTC style could have been installed on very late cars at SA since they appear to have been available during that time frame. Maybe it's as simple as you say, different versions for OE and sold OTC.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave - 6S1757