The Official SAAC Forum
May 27, 2017, 05:55:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2007 GT500 correct battery?  (Read 26105 times)
pjshelby

Email
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »

I am looking for the correct Ford battery for my 2007 GT500 with shaker 1000 stereo, I replaced it 2 years ago with the  FORD OEM PART NUMBER BXT-96R-590 BATTERY but it is physically smaller than the original battery? Due to lack of driving time (5600 miles on car) the replacement battery has gone dead even after recharge? Can anyone tell me which is the correct battery part number? Frustration Sad Sad

Bob Gaines

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:08:53 PM »

I am looking for the correct Ford battery for my 2007 GT500 with shaker 1000 stereo, I replaced it 2 years ago with the  FORD OEM PART NUMBER BXT-96R-590 BATTERY but it is physically smaller than the original battery? Due to lack of driving time (5600 miles on car) the replacement battery has gone dead even after recharge? Can anyone tell me which is the correct battery part number? Frustration Sad Sad

So that you don't experience similar results when you get your new battery - FYI what with all of the electronics on the cars you can't let them sit more then a couple weeks without starting them up and letting the battery charge . If the battery goes dead as a door nail and you catch it quickly it should charge up again but you have basically cut it's life in half. Do this one or more times like in a storage situation or let it sit dead for a extended time and the battery will not charge up or hold a charge again. It is best to use a Battery Tender brand or similar float charger (no off brand 12.95 harbor freight units or you will be sorry) to hook up to the car for the times that you don't drive it more then once a week.   Chug a Lug

Shelby Car Enthusiast, Collector, Shelby Concours Judge
39Mustang

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:36:56 PM »

I am an expert on this hahaha

There are so much electronics in the cars now days if you do not drive it at least once a week 5 days later it can be completely dead. The more times it goes dead and you recharge it the faster it goes dead. I've been through multiple batteries and only fix is a Battery Tender

DO NOT waste time putting the MotorCrap back in there its not worth it and even if you show the car they do not deduct from non factory batteries. I discovered that Interstate batteries will last 3 times longer then the MotorCrap ones. Or buy an Optima and be done with it... however without driving once a week they will drain the Optima's too

1973 Mach 1 (Father's - original owner) Restomod
1973 Mustang Conv. Q-code 351 CJ
1992 SAAC MK1 #39
2008 Shelby GT/SC #1039
2008 Shelby GT500KR #39
2011 Shelby GT350 45th Annv. #108
2016 Shelby Terlingua #39
SAAC Member

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 09:58:07 PM »

I disagree on the Motorcraft. If maintained, They can be just fine if not Awesome.

You need a smart charger, not some garbage Battery Tender crap.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1470977739&sr=8-3&keywords=ctek+battery+chargers

https://www.amazon.com/Accumate-Pro-12V-6A-24V/dp/B009B05YGA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1470977808&sr=8-7&keywords=Accumate+battery+chargers

I have both and prefer the Accumate. Have thrown away every Battery Tender piece of junk I have have had the misfortune of owning.

shelby001

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 06:47:11 PM »

I have used a Battery Tender now for nine years & still have the original battery in my `07. Not sure your reason for saying they are junk?

SAAC Member

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 06:58:48 PM »

It is simple. They are junk. You hit the lotto with yours.

Having them ruin batteries in 2 Fords, a Yamaha motorcycle and a BMW (came with the Fords and BMW) I will never use them again.

They are a true trickle charger. They do not take into account the actual charge on the battery or any draw down by electronics like the smart chargers do. They also only apply a measly 2-3 amps where many top flight batteries may need pulses of 5-7 amps to keep them healthy. 2 amps couldn't even keep an analog motorcycle battery alive thru a winter.

I will say one thing. They are cheap. There is a reason for that.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 07:35:26 PM »

It is simple. They are junk. You hit the lotto with yours.

Having them ruin batteries in 2 Fords, a Yamaha motorcycle and a BMW (came with the Fords and BMW) I will never use them again.

They are a true trickle charger. They do not take into account the actual charge on the battery or any draw down by electronics like the smart chargers do. They also only apply a measly 2-3 amps where many top flight batteries may need pulses of 5-7 amps to keep them healthy. 2 amps couldn't even keep an analog motorcycle battery alive thru a winter.

I will say one thing. They are cheap. There is a reason for that.
Sorry to hear you had a problem. Are you referring to the Battery tender name brand float charger or are you referring to a "Battery tender" as a generic term? The reason why I ask is that I am unaware that the name brand ones coming from the factory with the Fords or BMW. I am aware of lower quality types coming with various vehicles. There are many different float chargers on the market . The battery tender brand turns on and off . Some others do and some don't. The ones I have seen come with cars seem to be trickle charges that always stay on.  I have seen a battery butler brand float charger for as little as 15 .00 at harbor freight. A friend gave me one and it would never go off like it was supposed to once hooked up to a battery . Those are real junk. FYI once charged if a battery tender brand 1/2 amp float charger (smallest) can't keep a battery charged there must be a excessive load sucking juice out of the battery.If the electronics used that much your un started car would have a battery dead in a day or so.  A constant charge or trickle charge 1/2 -3 amp will damage a battery long term. Wondering which one you are referring to

SAAC Member

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 11:39:05 PM »

I received a Battery Tender brand float charger with my FGT and Z8. I bought an exact copy of these from Griots Garage for a 2008 GT500 and a Yamaha Vmax. All four allowed the battery to discharge to the point of no return.

A couple of those batteries were around $300 each. Two float charges came with said cars and the 2 I bought were about $89 each. Oh yeah, one came on the transfer switch to my Ford powered Onan stand by genarator, it too killed the AGM battery for the Ford V-6. So 5 failures total. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.

I have switched to Accumate and Ctek and the failures stopped.......Completely. About 5 years ago and some of my batteries are running strong past their due dates.

MyShelbyDream
SAAC Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 02:50:03 AM »

Thanks Michael, I was going to buy a Battery Tender for this winter.  Like so many things, their name has become synonymous with the product on the whole (like Kleenex).  Easy to assume they are the best.

Brian Glover
SAAC Carolinas' Representative

Current Caretaker of No. 83, a 1967 Shelby GT350
SAAC Member

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »

A smart charger is around $110. If continually monitors the battery's need and applies just the right amount of amperage to keep it functioning like new.

Bob Gaines

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:32 AM »

I received a Battery Tender brand float charger with my FGT and Z8. I bought an exact copy of these from Griots Garage for a 2008 GT500 and a Yamaha Vmax. All four allowed the battery to discharge to the point of no return.

A couple of those batteries were around $300 each. Two float charges came with said cars and the 2 I bought were about $89 each. Oh yeah, one came on the transfer switch to my Ford powered Onan stand by genarator, it too killed the AGM battery for the Ford V-6. So 5 failures total. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong.

I have switched to Accumate and Ctek and the failures stopped.......Completely. About 5 years ago and some of my batteries are running strong past their due dates.
It sounds more like a bad batch scenario given the many that don't have problems in similar situations. My Ford GT came with a generic one for instance.  I haven't had the problems that you have but will still get one of your choices to test out given your testimonial .

SAAC Member

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »

You won't be sorry. It is noticeable how much more punch the batteries will have as well as noticeably longer lifespans.

Only way to beat them is to drive every day.

66S285

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »

My original battery just died. Can get new one at dealer. Positive post is left which is key

Rick
SFM6 S285
68KR #2375
07 GT500
NOLA Motorsports Park Member
richstang

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 08:09:16 AM »

The original Motorcraft battery in my '98 SVT Cobra lasted 14 years...I replaced it with another one from the local dealer.

The car is only occasionally driven every few weeks with no battery tender and is not disconnected when not in use.
That works fine for the warm months but in the winter I have to start it more often to charge up the battery (every 2 weeks or less).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Evolution Performance
Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!