The Official SAAC Forum
December 14, 2017, 09:26:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Login Register Search New Photo Gallery Calendar Contact Chat  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 428CJ lifter clatter  (Read 4553 times)
TLea
Evil twin

Email
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »

Is the oil pump hi volume? FEs are notorious for slow oil drain back from heads. HV pumps put to much oil up top and starve lower end

RIP OTIS  2015
robert campbell

Email
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »

Amount of lift has nothing to do with valve lash on your motor. The base circle of the cam is the deciding factor.  As Randy said lots of variables.  Did you have any head work done?  Is the gasket crush the same on you new head gaskets as the original?  Did you have a valve job that they may have ground on your valve tips to "clean up the tip"?  Do you have old valves on new seats that may have reduced the valve tip height?

The base circle or lowest point on the cam if less than stock, could cause valve top to rocker arm tapping.  I would follow Randy's advice and install adjustable rocker arms.  Either aftermarket (Dove, Sig Erson) or stock 427 pieces.  Then you can adjust to any cam base circle and ensure a perfect valve lash for your engine.  I never trusted non-adjustable valve train on any engine.

Also put a mechanical oil gauge in place of the sensor to determine true oil pressure.  My guess is your motor is just fine oil pressure wise.

Rob

GrouperTrooper

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »

Thanks all. Oil PSI is not the problem. I'll install adjustable rockers and let everyone know how it went.

Jayson

1968 GT 350 #1516
1967 Eight Barrel

Email
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2016, 10:36:03 PM »

At this juncture, you might as well go roller rockers. You'll have to change your pushrods and rockers, and they'll be new.

-Keith

A Commander has to make vital decision on incomplete information in a matter of seconds, and afterwards the experts can sit down at leisure, with all the facts before them, and argue about what he might, could or should have done. -Sir William Slim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Site Customized by DragonFly Designs StatsPowered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!